The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 05-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nice

Handy-dandy Notebook

Not sure if anyone's ever talked about this but it's pretty handy...

Grab a cheap notebook (or you could just start a spreadsheet,) and divide it up alphabetically. When you're done lettering a book write down the title, the name, size and leading of the font(s) you used, the style and stroke size of the balloons, as well as any quick notes on the style of caption boxes you chose. It's also handy to write down your page rate on a book (editor, publisher, etc.)

I started doing this because when a book I've lettered is finally on the shelves, I take the files off my hard drive and burn it to disk to file away. It never failed that there were delays between consecutive issues, or entire series and I'd find myself digging through archived discs and having to upload a page back to my computer so I could check all the specifics before I began the new issue.

Now I just open up my notebook and look up the title alphabetically.

And that's one to grow on... (la la laaaaaaa....)

~N
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Because knowing's half the battle.

Yo Piekos!

-- J
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nice

(Whew. I was afraid no one would get that...and that would just make me feel old...)

~N
Old 05-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Amadarwin
Fingerpaints Fonts

Amadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of light

if we get it, does it mean we're all old?
Amadarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
JacoNB

JacoNB is on a distinguished road

Aw, jeez... I got it too.

That's a great idea, Nate... I'm quickly running out of disc space, and the reason I'm keeping everything on my mac is for that exact reason. When the next issue pops up, I just open an old page, replace the art and reletter it.

I've tried just making templates, but that gets confusing quickly.
JacoNB is offline   Reply With Quote