Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > The Proving Grounds

Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

TPG Week 232: The Story To Nowhere

Welcome back, one and all, to The Proving Grounds! This week, we have a returning Brave One in Greg Thayer. We also have Liam Hayes in blue, and I'm the outrageous one in red, and we'll all see what Greg has done with

The EPA

Note--this script was part of a writing challenge. Here were the rules:

Cannot be longer than 5 pages

Must have an alien (take that as you wish)

One page must have 2 panels or less on it

There must be at least 200 words of spoken dialogue

Bacon must be an object

Chainsaw must be in the spoken dialogue

Also note that this script came in at a font size of 10. You're all welcome.

PAGE ONE (four panels)

Panel 1. Daytime. Establishing shot of an average office building in a small city. There is a sign in front of the building.

TEXT(sign):
Environmental Protection Agency

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Schuyler

Schuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really nice

Quote:
(GRAAAAHHHHH!!!!! ENDING PUNCTUATION!!!! FORBES SMASH!!!!)
I laughed out loud at this one. Not at your expense, Greg, but at Steven's antics.

Thanks, Steven!

-Sky
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
SamRoads
Also known as Felix

SamRoads has a spectacular aura aboutSamRoads has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for doing the edit on this Steven and Liam. Appreciate your time.

I'm not into the Mr S.W.Amp gags. I always hated that the Riddler's name was Edward Nygma - this kind of thing feels heavy handed to me.

I'd have gone with Mr Thing. Seems a more officious and stupid corporate response to employing Swamp Thing.
SamRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
gmartyt

gmartyt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the edits, Steven and Liam. Helpful as always.

I have no explanation for the 10 point font. I wrote it in 12. I used Open Office, but I saved it as a Word document.

Thanks again.
gmartyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Kiyoko, Rin

Kiyoko, Rin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PAGE THREE (four panels)
Panel 3. Kevin is looking over his shoulder at Mary. Mary is walking past Kevin, giving him a warm smile as she passes by.
AMP(OP):
However, our methods of enforcement have changed slightly since the old days. (There is a different, better way to say this. Who has suggestions?)
As the main gist of the criticism from Messrs Forbes and Hayes was that this story wasnít about anything, Iíd change this line by changing most everything around the line so that, in the end, the line isnít needed.

Meaning: make Kevin Bacon the main character and change his character arc FROM:

- he goes in scared, then decides he doesnít want the role because of the monsters around him.

TO:

- he goes in, really eager for the role, working hard at copying mannerisms / getting their ďmotivationsĒ down pat / whatever it is that method actors do to grow into their roles. Along the way, he learns the job isnít as sedate / bureaucratic as he thought, itís actually incredibly violent, and by the end heís been cowed off the role.

Meaning: instead of Swamp telling Kevin that the EPAís methods have changed, Iíd have Kevin role play how he thinks the EPA would protect the environment (i.e. using peaceful methods), then Swamp would show him the actual, homicidal way they do things. Basically, Iíd show, not tell, thereby removing the line.
Kiyoko, Rin is offline   Reply With Quote