The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
yellowphantom
mojo of mysticism

yellowphantom will become famous soon enough

52's Shazam...

...sure it's only been two installments so far so I'm not sure what to think. The art is great, of course with Frank we would expect nothing less. As for the story...the new evil billy batson kind of freaks me out...and the wizard shazam seems like a right old bastard. Johns has the freedom to do anything he wants with this charater(s) on the world of the new 52...he'd better not blow it.
anyone else have thoughts/comments on the new Shazam?

writer/artist END TIME SAGA at SPIDERFOREST.COM
CHECK OUT MY COMIC BY CLICKING ON THE WWW ICON BELOW MY POST.
yellowphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
yellowphantom
mojo of mysticism

yellowphantom will become famous soon enough

...speaking of alternate earth's.....Action Comics #9 featuring Earth-23 was a real breath of fresh air for DC...finally taking advantage of all those worlds and all of the stories yet to be told about them ....anything goes!!!! Calvin Ellis is one hell of a Superman...let's hope we see a lot more of him...
it's also very strange that for the first time EVER i am reading more DC books than ol' Marvel...

writer/artist END TIME SAGA at SPIDERFOREST.COM
CHECK OUT MY COMIC BY CLICKING ON THE WWW ICON BELOW MY POST.
yellowphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

I have yet to get caught up on Justice League and the Shazam back-ups. I did read the first one, and the evil Billy did throw me off, like you said. I normally dig Geoff Johns' writing, but we'll see where this goes.

I dropped Action Comics after Grant Morrison scripted two issues (five and six) while on mushrooms. I was loving that series for a while, but then Grant Morrison remembered that he's Grant Morrison.
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Lovecraft13
Mac the Knife

Lovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to behold

I find it hard to get into the new League's personalities. It's just weird reading about these guys who hardly know each other.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft13 View Post
I find it hard to get into the new League's personalities. It's just weird reading about these guys who hardly know each other.
JL is up to date with the rest of the books starting with issue eight, I think.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Biofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMonkey View Post
I have yet to get caught up on Justice League and the Shazam back-ups. I did read the first one, and the evil Billy did throw me off, like you said. I normally dig Geoff Johns' writing, but we'll see where this goes.

I dropped Action Comics after Grant Morrison scripted two issues (five and six) while on mushrooms. I was loving that series for a while, but then Grant Morrison remembered that he's Grant Morrison.
FINALLY! Someone else who doesn't think Grant is the second coming! I can't stand his writing.

He will drink the super sauce and throw the bad guys for a loss, just ca-all, for Super Chicken!
Biofungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofungus View Post
FINALLY! Someone else who doesn't think Grant is the second coming! I can't stand his writing.
Agree. He's alright sometimes, but other than that he's pretty meh, sometimes unbearably awful.

[/shamelessplug]
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Incendium Lux
ilnotebook.blogspot.com

Incendium Lux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofungus View Post
As a person, I find him interesting. As a person working in the comics industry, I think he's an unbearable ass, and is not deserving of all the attention and credit he seems to think he'd be.

Of course, I'm on the Alan Moore is the second coming camp, so that might explain my position, and tendency for lengthy panel explanations.
Incendium Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Back to Shazam: I'm caught up now, and I'm not sure I like what's going on. The Flashpoint Shazam concept was nice as a one-off, but I don't know how I'd feel about it being done in an ongoing capacity. And it certainly does look like that's how things are going.

Gonna have to think about this.