The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
ukstocky
Mike Stock

ukstocky has disabled reputation

Question Some feedback, if you would be so kind!

I have only been lettering for about a year and its been a fun, steep learning curve and I thought it's about time I throw some work up here for feedback.

These are various pages from the first 3 issues of Jon Lock's 'Afterlife Inc. Near Life' which is the continuation of his 'Afterlife Inc.' series (it's available to read here).

Small Plug...

The 'Dying to Tell' stories from last year were released in a paperback collection in time for the London's Super Comic Convention in Feb, for which I wasn't letterer but I did do the design of the interior pages, and Jon sold almost 100 copies over the 2 days.

Anyways, would love to hear your thoughts on how I can improve.
ukstocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

You're a better letterer than me. One critique is that your balloons are a little too squished out. I used to do this a lot, and I still do it sometimes. Over all, pretty good, though.

By the way, is that Mouth Breather from Blambot that you used for the ugly dude?
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
HdE
I really like beer.

HdE is on a distinguished road

One observation I'd share is on your use of transparent balloons.

It's very much a personal thing, but personally, I'm of the opinion that it's safest not to use transparency effects when lettering.

I see a lot of guys who letter their own work using transparent balloons and captions, and quite often the first thing I think to myself when seeing it is 'why?' it very seldom adds anything to the aesthetic. In fact, it can quite often result in balloons that are hard to read as background art pokes through. It's also sometimes a bit of a lottery as to how well these effects work in print.

There are certainly instances where you can use transparency effectively, but the advice I give folks when they ask me about it is to consider VERY carefully if the effect is fitting and readable.

Hope that's helpful!
HdE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
lordmagnusen
Comics Mercenary

lordmagnusen will become famous soon enough

It looks pretty cool, my only tip would be to make your balloon tails a bit wider.

HdE, I don't see him using transparencies, do you mean the yellow balloons with the alien/weird guy's dialogues? He gave the fill a pattern, I think. Doesn't look bad to me.
lordmagnusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
HdE
I really like beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmagnusen View Post
HdE, I don't see him using transparencies, do you mean the yellow balloons with the alien/weird guy's dialogues? He gave the fill a pattern, I think. Doesn't look bad to me.
Ah, on closer inspection, you are indeed correct and I'm a jackass!

Th eplacement of the balloons in the earlier yellow panels made it look like there was background detail poking through there - I've probably mis-read it due to working on my crappy small monitor while I'm outside my usual workspace.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
lordmagnusen
Comics Mercenary

No worries, man. You're not a jackass.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
HdE
I really like beer.

Quote:
No worries, man. You're not a jackass.
Can I have that in writing?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
ukstocky
Mike Stock

Talking

Thanks guys, much appreciated, and I concur, that doesn't really count as jackass behaviour!

Yes it is BlamBot's Mouth Breather for the ugly dude, good spot. In this series there seems to be a lot of character-unique balloon styles which is good practice but a lot more time-consuming, at least the first time round.

Ochroid's (yellow alien weird guy's) ballons have a texture I made from a photo of a pile of worms, it was the first idea that came to mind when Jon challenged me with and he liked it so we went with it. It is a fine line between getting a texture visable while retaining legibility and I tried very hard not to cross it

I'll keep working on my balloons and tails, it's something I was aware of myself after going back over my work. This is my first go at SFX so I think I have enjoyed that aspect of this project the most.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
HdE
I really like beer.

No worries, Stocky!

Good to get a bit of explanation from you on what you've done here. I like to hear that stuff - sometimes it even makes me sit up and go 'that's a neat idea.'
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
lordmagnusen
Comics Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdE View Post
Can I have that in writing?
Sure. Not sure what good it'll do you coming from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstocky View Post
This is my first go at SFX so I think I have enjoyed that aspect of this project the most.
Those SFX look pretty good.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
ukstocky
Mike Stock

Quote:
Sure. Not sure what good it'll do you coming from me.

Those SFX look pretty good.
Thanks, and how about from this kid

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
HdE
I really like beer.

Now, THERE'S something we can all get behind!