The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
virtuabutch
The Professional

virtuabutch is on a distinguished road

Avengers Update

Most of the heavy lifting is done, just detailing and rendering...

virtuabutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Reiniger

Reiniger is on a distinguished road

These are beautiful - really clean style. Thanks for posting. I think there's a lot for me to learn from these.
Reiniger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Those are impressively rendered, though I do sometimes wonder when people post sample pages if they really expect to be putting the same amount of time into each page of a full comic should they get the job.

The car looks good in its super slickness - is it drawn freehand? I don't know how people get that look like their drawings could be used as CAD renderings to build the actual car from.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
virtuabutch
The Professional

Reiniger - thanks man! The pages will get a lot "dirtier," as these pages aren't even rendered yet. I'm thinking of very minimal rendering on the buildings though, as this is supposed to be a futuristic city kinda place.

TimR - aww no the car isn't freehanded, the form of the car (and chopper) is traced/sketchupped, I'm terrible at vehicles.

About your "amount of time" issue, I was actually thinking about that as well. I'd LOVE to be a "page a day" guy, but these pages have taken a lot longer than that. I don't want to sacrifice quality, so I think I need to change my approach to speed things up. For these samples, I drew the pencils in blue, and then gray over that-- almost like inking. Need to streamline the process.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

I guess I feel better about my own inability to draw cars then
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
virtuabutch
The Professional

I feel you're pain bro!

Update!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
virtuabutch
The Professional

Another update...pages almost done! Crits welcome!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Ebony Warrior

Ebony Warrior is on a distinguished road

Love these pages and your style. It's clear, easy to folloe the story and the technicasl rendering is fantastic.
The only crit I would have is page 3, panel 3, the Black Widow would have to stop the car, jump over a flaying rope holding the copter to get to where she is now. It just seems a hard place to get to in a hurry.
Ebony Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
ariel

ariel has a spectacular aura aboutariel has a spectacular aura about

This is very good but its also very stiff--
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Too many straight lines and too many panels with buildings in almost the same angle and perspective. Not enough variety from panel to panel to pages. Everything is too muted as far as action, response and emotions. Panel and action compression is what's needed here.
Something all comics artists need to learn is the art of action flow in each panel. As the eye travels across each panel there should be things going on to lead to the next thing until it reaches the action. Like a car coming around a corner at high speed needs to have dirt, debris and dust kicked up along with stuff being knocked over to let the viewer know that this car is moving and moving through stuff.
If you have it pull out Akira and watch some of the chase scenes in that flick to get an idea of action flow.
Justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
virtuabutch
The Professional

Roy, Ariel, Warrior- Thanks for taking the time out to take a look guys! Will take your thoughts into consideration as I proceed. Thanks thank thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
OZ!
All Powerful Wizard

OZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really nice

I always like seeing your process, and I like how clean yet detailed your work is. The future holds many great things for you dude. Any foibles I noticed with the actual art have been pointed out. The true madness that has hit me in both yours and the other versions of these pages is that the writer apparently never paid much attention to physics. If for some reason the grapple gun is strong enough not to snap when attached to a chopper going full tilt and cause the pilots to fly through the window and if for some reason Steve was suddenly strong enough to stop it mid motion and stay anchored, the chopper would lurch downward, not stop forward landing gently, sending the crew through the propellers. I know it has nothing to do with your art, its the writer, but damn is it ever driving me nuts. lol

"Critics are the people that come down from the mountain after the battle to shoot the wounded."
OZ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
virtuabutch
The Professional

OZ, haha! I felt the same way about the script. Note that Steve somehow manages to keep the pilotless chopper hovering over the ground long enough for Moon Knight to get to it. O_o

The writer is Warren Ellis though-- doesn't he like research everything like a madman? Maybe it's possible... *shrug*
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
striker

striker is on a distinguished road

I like your storytelling, good work butch!
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
OZ!
All Powerful Wizard

OZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuabutch View Post
OZ, haha! I felt the same way about the script. Note that Steve somehow manages to keep the pilotless chopper hovering over the ground long enough for Moon Knight to get to it. O_o

The writer is Warren Ellis though-- doesn't he like research everything like a madman? Maybe it's possible... *shrug*

Naw, I think Warren tends to get a bit lazy when he is writing 1000 comics a month. The last time I was excited for an Ellis book was Y and that was a billion years ago. lol

"Critics are the people that come down from the mountain after the battle to shoot the wounded."
OZ! is offline   Reply With Quote