The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Nar
Unity and peace

Nar will become famous soon enoughNar will become famous soon enough

X-men vs The Brood 9 piece penciled card set

Yo! Lonnng time since I've stepped foot in the ol' stomping grounds, that is Digital Webbing! Wonder how many familiar faces I'll see.

Anyways, hi.

I've been lurking about recently and really enjoyed all the art posted.
Thought I'd come in and share a little pet project I have going on the side. This is a 9 card puzzle set, featuring the obvious. I have 3 scans here which I kept to document my approach with the pencil lines. I really enjoyed doing this one and hope I can find some time to ink and color it after I'm finished with my current contract.
I hope I can come by more often. So much to do now and definitely not enough time to play as much.

Early WIP.

Final penciled art ready for inks.

If you're wondering why I drew these on cards, I sort of made a career out of drawing trading cards for card fans throughout. So naturally, I switched over to these small canvases. I won't be doing cards for long though. I'm starting to hunger for 11x17 rockin' action again! lol
Rock on buds. I'll try and come around more often.

I have a website buuuut, it really isn't ready to be promoted yet (still under major construction) But you're welcome to it anyways. I do intend to fill it up with a lot of finished and non finished art from both published and non published origins once I'm done with my current assignment which is taking me forever!!!
Rock and roll, buds!

http://www.narcomics.com
http://b1narcomicunderworld.runboard.com/

Visit my comic art website! www.narcomics.net

or join the Comic Underworld!
Nar Comic Underworld
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Nar, I'm asking for permission to "tear" this apart. It won't be as nice as I'd hoped, I'll let you know in advance, but I also won't move ahead without your OK. I can also send it to you via e-mail if you want to send me your personal e-mail in a PM.

Completely from an editor's viewpoint.

Steve
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
OZ!
All Powerful Wizard

OZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really niceOZ! is just really nice

Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun!

"Critics are the people that come down from the mountain after the battle to shoot the wounded."
OZ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Nar
Unity and peace

lol, Steve'meister, I am ALWAYS ok with outside input, no matter who it's from (be it aspiring editors, artists, pros,amateurs, fans, non fans etc), nor whether it's good or painfully bad. You don't need my permission pal, though I do appreciate your formal approach so as to not embarrass me here in front of your friends. ;-]
However, I will kindly and humbly let you know in advance that some of it may fall on def ears if you provide more personal opinion based on personal tastes rather than experienced and structural suggestions that would (and pay attention to this one because it's very important to me) help me "accentuate" the specific energy (that is, the raw, rigid, rock and roll energy) I'm trying to convey with all my work and not diminish it or polish it straight into the dirt for the sake of whats plausible in real life. *I have a very retentive and stubborn opinion of my own in regards to removing fantastical elements *exaggerations* purely to appease those who can't stomach the idea, lol!*
If you believe you have ANY "helpful" suggestions that would help me make this entire piece rock or be more raw and rigid, Steve Colle, I'm all ears champ. I'm always looking to learn new and "helpful" things everyday day but I also like to unclench and have tons of exhilarating fun while doing it.
I'd also be more than happy to tell you more about trading card format and the little tidbits that come with it *including the limitations that aren't present in normal comic book production art* it if you're interested.
Believe me, I don't walk around thinking I see no flaws in my work. *always the contrary* So, I look forward to any brilliant suggestions you may offer big guy.
Thanks again!

Nar Comic Underworld
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Nar
Unity and peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ! View Post
Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun!
Thanks for taking the time OZ! These cards will be inked and manually colored with acrylics, marker and some airbrushing. Expect that sometime in the next few months. I have so much work to do for the rest of the next 2 months, I wish I had more time to fool around with it.
See you later buds and stay cool.

Here's a few I don't think I've shared *the colors at least*

All 2.5x3.5 trading card art colored with the same tools I listed above.

ROCK ON DUDES!

Nar Comic Underworld
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
brandnewday

brandnewday is on a distinguished road

hye nar man good to see you back,
brandnewday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Bishop

Bishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to behold

I like th energy of the piece for sure! It's got a very SPlatt! vibe to it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

They're all cool looking, I like the Hulk, my fav.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
kong
Shrapnel collector...

kong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to allkong is a name known to all

Wow this is tight.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Hey Nar, take a look at some of my other posts and you'll see what to expect. I'm pretty professional at 26 years experience editing and instructing, so nothing will be personal thoughts, but rather the opposite. It's all about composition and powerful effect, which I think is what you're looking for.

This'll be fun, I think for both of us.

Steve
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
pencilsbyjim
Secret Bunny.

pencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of lightpencilsbyjim is a glorious beacon of light

Wow hyper detailed Nar!
pencilsbyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
JAM
WWW.WGKMW.COM

JAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura about

Your trading cards "Off the Hook"!
Anytime of the day, ART gets done manually, gets a respect.
Great skills my man!

JAM,.............................................
www.wggraphix.com
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Scribbly
Lazy Reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Nice picts! Plenty of energy.
Just a question,
This full composition will be divided in 9 sketchcards, that's the idea?
What about the 3 cards in the botton, and the card in the middle.
Are you selling Wolverine's belly and crotch as final image
for this isolated card?
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
VANDAL
VANDAL

VANDAL will become famous soon enough

Good to see you back again Nar! Once you get that 11x17 stuff going I would love to take another shot at inking your work. Keep in touch my man!
VANDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Mcd91

Mcd91 is on a distinguished road

Yes, there are some problems, but the overall energy in your work is great, so I don't really care. Reminds me of old Splatt. Would love to see you post more again.
By the way, what happend to Stephen Platt?
Mcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote