The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
IanSchofield

IanSchofield is on a distinguished road

Batman Villains

Thought I would share my latest set of digital paintings, I generally work in black and white to get all the values down and color later. I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed painting them.

You can see more of my work here
http://ianschofield.deviantart.com

Trio

Scarecrow*

Bane
IanSchofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Nice work on two out of three. Absolutely LOVE your rendition of Scarecrow with the blank eyes and texture of the burlap sack mask. Extremely creepy.

That being said, I honestly had no idea that was Bane in the center except for the tubes literally everywhere. In B/W, it looks like a different character altogether, though who I couldn't tell you. What is iconic about Bane? The tubes for sure, but the mask and his extreme build are just as iconic, if not more so. In other words, the two things that make him who he is are hidden. As an editor and if this were a cover, I'd want to see "BANE!", not "Bane". Give him the same power as what you've given Scarecrow, the physical weakling of the bunch. For that matter, have Freeze in a power or threatening moment as well. He looks entranced by the snow globe, which is fine for a quite moment, but this is supposed to be menacing, right? Think of who IS the man vs. what MADE the man. Present vs. past tense.

That all being said, you've done a great job with rendering style.

Nice work.

Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
IanSchofield

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through these honestly, I really appreciate it. At the time I wasn't thinking about making covers they were a set of paintings / portraits to play with minimal light sources. I think you are 100% correct about Bane looking back at it now, he needs a lot more energy. And I will certainly return with more, as that type of feedback is hard to receive online.
Many thanks
Ian
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
cclements

cclements is on a distinguished road

That scarecrow is awesome! You've really captured the essence of what makes him so creepy. That being said, I keep focusing on his teeth. There's something about them that seems to humanize the scarecrow a little too much, like seeing one of those costumed Disney world mascot through the mask. I wouldn't mind seeing that as all black too or maybe reflecting some light?
cclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

I agree to a point with cclements about the humanizing, but take a good strong look at the darkness or rottenness of the teeth along with the outer mask becoming the mouth, upper lip curled back. If I could see his actual upper lip, that would be even more humanizing, but you haven't done that. The fact that he has no nose makes that outer mentioned lip even more prominent. Monstrous, which is the purpose of his mask to begin with. Serial killers, hidden in plain sight, couldn't be this monstrous outwardly.

I think you did a great job, but indeed, the name of the game in comics is to exaggerate evil or goodness to make them obvious. Ambiguity creates the anti-hero and anti-villain, and we'll either start caring too much for the bad guy or hate the good guy. A character we could hate is Wolverine, but what anti-hero really wears yellow spandex? White hat vs. black hat days are over, folks!

Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Kanthara

Kanthara is on a distinguished road

I think those are jaw-dropping, Ian. I agree with the comments above about Bane, and yes, Scarecrow is delightfully creepy! I do love the way you've rendered the minimal light on Mr. Freeze, adds a certain tragedy to this character. Beautiful.
Kanthara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Degenerate10

Degenerate10 is on a distinguished road

Do you post at the Superherohype boards as well? I've seen these some where before but cant remember where
Degenerate10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
IanSchofield

No, DC planet posted the black and white set