The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
comic_assist

comic_assist is on a distinguished road

Football

Hi all,

have started looking at anatomy reference. Just happy about beginning to understand it. C and Cs please....Thank you!

comic_assist is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a good start, but watch the balance of your muscles and their movement. The arms are much smaller than the legs, which is normal, but here the legs seem really exaggerated.

As an aside, here's a little story: My brother and I, as teenagers, were both into sports, his being football, mine being bodybuilding. I loved working on my arms especially and his was his legs. There was a bodybuilder named Tom Platz in the '80's (yes, I'm THAT old) who had 42" thighs that, at 5'3", looked like he had huge pillows under his skin. My brother, at 5'8", had larger thighs than that. That's what your character here looks like.

(As for me, I stopped weightlifting at 18 and now, at 44, I weigh 185 still of muscle. Don't ask me why...)

In other words, also think of who your character is. What position would this guy play?

... and by the way, thanks for the comment on Mark's thread. I appreciate the gesture. It does apply to you, too.

Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Bishop

Bishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to behold

He needs more pads on or he is going to get hurt on the field, unless this is some sort of kinky fetish football...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
cclements

cclements is on a distinguished road

In terms of Anatomy I think you have a good start but it needs some work. Something I generally do when once i've drawn a figure in a dynamic pose is imagine what that character would look like standing up. If this player was to stand up his left limbs would be way too short for his body.
His trap on his left side also looks like it should be shown but isn't. His left pec also needs to be in front of his deltoid muscle in the position it's in. It seems like you were referencing a couple of different pictures and kind of combined them, the best thing you can do is get a big mirror or a camera and a friend and reference yourself. Most people in the world aren't muscular like this guy is but you can still get a lot of valuable information referencing yourself.
Also by referencing yourself you'll get a more realistic pose, it's hard to see exactly what this guy is doing but whatever it is it isn't natural. He's kind of floating in space. If it's a football player put him in a football pose, either making a tackle or a catch or something along those lines.
The rendering of the muscles in the forearm, Bis-Tris, and torso are on point though. The more study you do the better you'll get. I'd also definitely recommend finding some life drawing classes in your area. It's by far the best way to improve anatomical drawings.
cclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
comic_assist

comic_assist is on a distinguished road

Yes Steve, so much pleasure seeing your comments here, that is joy to me.

I dig, football players are bulky and seems that I didn't care about before I started the drawing. I got the point now that whatever you draw be it the actual way on what they are real life as to their purpose. I should be aware about that next time. Thank you again Steve.

Bishop:

Yup, the next time after the flesh anatomy. I'll do the clothing anatomy. Thank you for the reminder.

cclements:

Thanks for the pointers. I was not realy able to think of the right pose being a described subject, but next time i'll strictly put focus on it and about being realistic approach with art.

(Sorry for the my English)

Guys, you all so helpful. Thanks so much.
comic_assist is offline   Reply With Quote