The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > The Book Club

Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Books and stuff

Haven't been reading much lately, but I have a whole stack of stuff that I've been hoarding for the past few months and will hopefully get around to eventually. I think I mentioned this before, but 11/22/63 by Stephen King was a fantastic read, even though the third act kind of falls apart toward the end. If you like anything involving time travel, you should totally read it.

I'm also reading Anne Rice's The Mummy, which I recently realized is one of her few pre-crap books that I have yet to read. It's interesting so far, but certainly a lot different than most of her stuff because it's all third-person. Good, though.

I'm also a few chapters into a non-fiction book called "The Fourth of Part of the World" that was written by a friend of a friend. It's about a map or something.

Yeah, I'm boring.

I think the most surprising thing I've read in recent months has been the Hunger Games series (yes, based on the movie). I was sort of obligated to read the first one before seeing the film, but afterward I was actually interested in carrying on with the rest of the series. I expected Twilight-y teen angst crap, and there are sprinklings of that here and there, but overall I've found the books to be really, really good. I'm not sure they fit into the "Children's book" (or even "young adult") category very well at all. I'm about a quarter of the way through the third book now, and suckage has been minimal so far. (Now go ahead -- judge me! )

What'choo readin'?
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

The Hunger Games are pretty good, eh? Just to be picky, I found Katniss a difficult protagonist to really like, but like you say, SuperMonkey, there was none of that sparkly teen angst. Well not much. I really enjoyed the second book, but the third one is really my least favorite of the bunch.

I'm waiting for J. K. Rowlings new book called The Casual Vacancy. I'm not expecting much from it, but want to read it anyway. Have not been reading anything serious because I'm trying to write something, but I've been re-reading Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series - no idea why, just felt like it.

I might read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (translated), though... heard on a podcast that it was very good.

By the way, if anyone is interested, my Goodreads page is here if you would like to friend me (I adore Goodreads)

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6765317-k-v-hardy

I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the cooking.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
AthenaRose
12.9.12...?

AthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant futureAthenaRose has a brilliant future

Just finished 'Catch 22' - first time I'd ever read it. I found it interesting from a writing pov (the treatment of each character in a separate chapter, the intertwining of story lines), not sure I really engaged as a reader, though.

I'm now onto 'Planet Narnia' which presents an underlying theme for the Chronicles. Once you get past how impressed the author is with his own cleverness at his discovery, it's really interesting. It's almost more about CS Lewis himself than the Chronicles. Anyway, having read the chapter on Jupiter, I'm about to launch into LWW for the umpteenth time

I'm hoping for The Hobbit for my birthday (don't know what happened to my copy... ) and enough money to pick up the 4 books of the Otherland series by Tad Williams cheap on ebay.
l .
V . l
=[uu]=

On a points-giving mission!
AthenaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Allegory Comics
Master Marlovian

Allegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to beholdAllegory Comics is a splendid one to behold

Been reading the Stephen King's DARK TOWER series for a while. Last month I fnished book 4 ("Wizard and Glass") and the short TOWER story ("Little Sisters of Eluria)", and then I read the new TOWER novel, "Wind Through the Keyhole."

It has very little to do with Roland and his ka-tet, directly, but it's a very good story and clearly an allegorical story as Tim (nee: Roland) goes on a journey searching for the Wizard's House (Tower) and his dealings with the evil Covenant Man (The Man in Black). If you're a fan of the series, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

There are 3 more books to go, but I'm taking a break from the series for a moment to read something else.

Now I've picked up "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" because I want to read it before the movie comes out.
Allegory Comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Will be cuirous to see how the Vampire Hunter book turns out...! I started reading The Witches of East End (Beauchamp Family #1), and it is pretty good. A bit too soap opera-like, but now, halfway through, things are picking up.

I wanted to read and started Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, but good golly it is really hard to sludge through the very sludgy translation. Not sure I'll be able to stick with it, unfortunately.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Just started Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem.

I also just picked up a collection of Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op short stories.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Ulf Imwiehe
Scarecrow Impersonator

Ulf Imwiehe is on a distinguished road

I just finished The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes and I'm positively blown away. For a plot that basically covers teenage relationships and the protagonist's memories thereof, it's as nailbitingly exciting as any thriller I've ever read. Beautiful use of language, too.

Next up: The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. 50 pages in I must say, so far so intriguing.
Ulf Imwiehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Ulf Imwiehe
Scarecrow Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
I wanted to read and started Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, but good golly it is really hard to sludge through the very sludgy translation. Not sure I'll be able to stick with it, unfortunately.
One of my favorite books ever! I do agree though, it's pretty challenging and can get downright tiresome at times.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Bishop

Bishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to beholdBishop is a splendid one to behold

I've been reading Ready Player One. If you are a movie/game geek from the 80's you definitely should read this book.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Imwiehe View Post
One of my favorite books ever! I do agree though, it's pretty challenging and can get downright tiresome at times.
It is worth the effort? Well I'll keep trying then.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Ulf Imwiehe
Scarecrow Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
It is worth the effort? Well I'll keep trying then.
If you're even in the slightest bit interested in the Kabbalah, occultism and conspiracy theories and enjoy watching a great (and pretty damn funny...!) thinker's mind at work, I'd say it's well worth the effort. Are you reading the French or the English version if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I've been reading Ready Player One. If you are a movie/game geek from the 80's you definitely should read this book.
Thanks for the recommendation! Just read the synopsis should be right up my alley.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

English. Maybe the french version is easier? It's more difficult for me to read in French, but I can do it if I have to.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Ulf Imwiehe
Scarecrow Impersonator

Yeah, I'm the same with French. I can read it ok but I miss a lot of subtext and subtleties. The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine complained about the French translation being a bit lackluster.

In other news, through The Raw Shark Texts and it's freaking awesome!