The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Adam Masterman
Starving cartoonist

Adam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the rough

Echo Series Cover

Hey gang,

Just finished up this piece, a sort-of cover image for a book that will mostly live in digital. So I went for something versatile; a picture that, hopefully, works well small and large, with room for different logos and potentially different backgrounds. Andway, it was also one of my first collage compositions, which was both fun and challenging. Let me know what you think, crits very welcome, as always. I've included the sketch and the lines, as well, tear into 'em.

Adam Masterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
DJ Keawekane
shushubags alter ego

DJ Keawekane will become famous soon enough

Damn this is cool!

Let me know when its out digitally I want to check this out.
DJ Keawekane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
JAM
WWW.WGKMW.COM

JAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura about

GREAT WORK!

I love your outline(of the pic ).
In the colored version--- I think you lost some depth of your characters( who's in front, next, next) and hid some of your drawing talent/skill!
Hope I made sense and helped.

JAM,.................................
www.wggraphix.com
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Adam, I absolutely love the balance in your composition with the stylized diamond shape. Great design.

My issue is the black background. It's overpowering and, instead of highlighting the colors of the image, it makes them sink into a hole of darkness or pulls them into a dark cave. It detracts instead of enhancing. What I would suggest is start with a lighter version of a dark color (not like sky blue or anything that light) that can gradually rise from the bottom into blackness, like watching the horizon at dusk with the thin strip of light making the ground glow in the distance, all the while making the stars above glisten in the blackness. I'm personally imagining a purple, close to the colors of Echo's hands holding the glowing book.

Try it and see what you think.

Steve
Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Adam Masterman
Starving cartoonist

Adam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the roughAdam Masterman is a jewel in the rough

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback, apologies for the late reply.

@DJ
Thanks, man, very glad to hear. I'm hoping to make a big announcement about this book soon, so I'll definitely keep you posted.

@Jam
I can see what you mean about hiding the lines and losing depth (honestly, the separation of planes in the lower section isn't great even in the lines). I'm flattered that you think there is talent in the lines, but lately I've been trying to hide them as much as possible. Its one of those artsy-fartsy things; I'm working with the idea of seeing the subject, not the artwork (if that makes any sense.)

@Creative
Yeah, the bg could definitely stand some more thought. Thanks for the tips, I'll test drive them in photoshop when I get back to this piece.
Adam Masterman is offline   Reply With Quote