The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Inker Showcase

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #31
MattTriano
Cartoonist

MattTriano will become famous soon enough

These are definitely better than the other Reis stuff, fantastic attention to the textures. It's super nitpicky but a few of the decisions are still a bit heavy-handed; I'm looking specifically at Aquaman's face, the jawline and some of the cheek feathering is often barely indicated in pencil but in the inks things get harder. The light from the lighthouse when they kiss has been re-interpreted as feathered Bernie Wrightson or Frazetta ink lines, whereas what was indicated (and to a greater extent, what would work better) is a bit of drybrush and maybe some light spatter after. The way he penciled it originally was probably feathered, but then you can see that he took an eraser and went around the tower in an arc--that's your cue to try a different kind of mark. Tiny thing, but keep in mind that even though he has most of the control over the page even after it's left his hands, you have final say on the feel of the page--you're what we see. To that end, fix little things like the spire on the lighthouse; instead of tracing his goofy squiggle, jump on google before you start the page and look up whatever structure he was indicating and make your own decision about it. You can even decide that you like his quick indicator, that it works as a shape, but then the spirit of the pencils in that instance (small as it is, insignificant as it seems) would suggest a similarly quick brush squiggle or pen scribble.
Again this is as nitpicky as it gets, but I'm not just talking about that spire on the lighthouse but how an editor or even a reader like me might subconsciously evaluate your thinking, your manner of approach. I defer to the master's wisdom on the subject, Klaus Janson told us to always 'think about what you are thinking about.' Consider the page and at the same time think about how you're approaching things, think about the process of thinking. It's very meta. In his book on inking he talks about respecting the pencils, keeping within the general guidelines, but always looking to capture what the penciler's intent may have been as well as just the manner of mark-making he or she has employed.
I think you're doing wonderful work on these, I'm very impressed. You're most of the way clear of all the heavy lifting, all the annoying bullshit--technique is solid, you understand how to manipulate your chosen tools (which I'd hope you consider expanding to nib and brush, brush is wonderful for your kind of feathering), and I assume you know how to draw yourself based on the confidence displayed.
For fuck's sake keep going!
Thanks again for sharing dude.
Cheers,
M
MattTriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
Vicmoya

Vicmoya will become famous soon enough

Jaz- Glad you dig it bud!

Matt- Thanks again for the clear concise crit. I love nitpiccky. If I have the broad strokes of the job done then I need to focus on the details and there is no other way to do that that to nit pick.

I see what you are saying. I guess I wear my influences on my sleeve. Frazetta, Wrightson and Alcala all have a huge influence on my work as well as Tim Vigil. I think I will turn some of my focus to not forcing my preferred style of inking onto a page and trying to do what is right for the page. I know it sounds strange but I have to let it talk to me and let me know what it needs. Right now I'm telling it what it's going to get. If that makes any sense.

As for the tools, Up until about a year ago I was primarily a brush inker with bits of quill here and there. Since my son Zophiel, (child number 5) was born ten months ago, I needed to be able to pick up and go at any given moment to address baby concerns since I am the one who stays home with the kids. It's alot easier and faster to put a cap on a marker than to clean a brush out and clean up the ink space. He is walking and climbing now too. So that mean he is grabbing everything he can reach. I learned with my first child that a baby cannot resist opening ink bottles and painting everything black. So again, the markers are just safer. It took some getting used to and I hated it at first, but I have since grown to love the convenience and cleanliness of the markers.

Her is an Art Adams page I did with brush and quill a few nights ago. I had the time to do it and just missed the brush. Let me know what you think.

Vicmoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

I like this, things look clean and sharp, awesome.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #34
chairmanmok

chairmanmok is on a distinguished road

Nice inks man! Super clean and sharp!
chairmanmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
Vicmoya

Thanks guys.

I just got back from Wonder Con and while I was there Iwas able to get Arthur Adams Opinion of the pages I inked of his. He compared them to his normal inker and pointed out a few things he would change and gave me some pointers. He was such a cool dude. The first thing he said to me was, "That was brave." When I heard that my heart sank into my ass. It sounded like a bad thing. Then he told me it was brave that I attempted the inks from such horrible scans and that I did a great job for what I had and I should take it over to the Marvel and DC booths ( who weren't doing portfolio reviews).

I was glowing for the rest of the day. Especialy since about five minutes after that, I bumped into Danny Miki, who is an inking behemoth, and he gave me a glowing review and gave me tips on the back of one of his pages he was working on. Similar experience with Joe Weems who spent a good 45 minutes with me. His parting words to me were, "90% of the inkers working out there have earned the title tracer, and I am happy to see that you do not want to be counted among them." This made me happy.

So now I am back at my table, revitalized and ready to ink the world so I can show them all that thier faith in me is not unfounded.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #36
Afro
loner from the swamps

Afro will become famous soon enough

Good stuff Vic! Yeah those scans were blurry as hell, that was pretty cool of you to get props from Art Adams. I've heard that wondercon is pretty cool to attend. Glad you got a spark again. looking forward to seeing more.
Afro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #37
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

That’s awesome news Vic.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #38
Jasen Smith
jasenstation.com

Jasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud of

That is awesome Vic. I'm glad to hear it and you deserve a spot in a monthly book, your inks are great and I always loved working colors with them.

Quote:
It's not the successes that count, it's how you bounce back from the failures.

~Fred Duran
Jasen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
shannonh

shannonh is on a distinguished road

The sequential page is awesome. You seem to identify with Adam's style. Perfection!
shannonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #40
Vicmoya

Thanks guys. You should have seen me, I was all shaky and nervous when I was talking to him. I almost forgot how to speak english and that's the only language I know!

It's funny because I never get star struck. I used to work in the music business with lots of stars. I've had dinner with Slipknot and hung out with Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson. Sat all day and talked comics with Glenn Danzig and Freddy Prinze Jr. I've Been to Penn (from Penn and Teller) house and thought nothinng of it. But standing in front of Arthur Adams as he was looking over my inks on his pencils... total shaky fanboy syndrome! I think he could tell too. He kind of had a smirk on his face.

Then right after that I turned around and there was Danny Miki. Who is my inking hero. Fanboy Syndrome again! My wife had to nudge me from behind to make me open my mouth and talk to him. So over course I make an ass of myself right away and bump his table, knock over his name diplay and shuffle his pages that were on sale on the table. I'm sure it looked hilarious to anybody walking by. He laughed and was super cool to talk to. He spent some time showing me some tips and techniques. Awesome stuff!

Everything turned out ok though. Both of them referred me to some Marvel and DC editors so we'll see what comes of that. This is my year! I'm goin fer broke!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #41
SeanE

SeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really nice

Heh... I turned into a blithering idiot when I met David Finch last year... as they were trying to get into the airport shuttle bus at the time to catch their flight and the kids were grizzling, I got increasingly evil looks from his wife the more I dribbled on as well....
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #42
Vicmoya

Alright, so I see over in KevinWolffs thread that he laid down some awesome inks on an Ivan Reis piece and I must admit to feeling some small amount of jealousy. Just when I was feeling good about my inks over Ivan, Kevin Swoops in and just kills it!

All kidding aside though, He did an awesome job and it inspired me to take a crack at that same piece. He was kind enough to send me a high res and well, here is the end product.

I think the inkers in this forum should do stuff like work on the same page more often. I can't tell you how much I learn when I see other artist take on the same page of pencils. You get to see different view points and a multitude of solutions to the same problems. No voting on most liked or favorites, just discussion on technique and approach and the like. Let me know if anybody is interested in doing a weekly or biweekly sort of thing like that.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #43
kevinwolff
kevnwolff.com

kevinwolff is on a distinguished road

Looks great, Vic! Nice attention to detail.
kevinwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #44
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Like Kevins, you didn't pay enough attention to what the penciller was drawing. You did some nice contour lines but the lines here and there are not defining what they should. Take Supes left upper Thigh. Notice how Ries drew the feathering to shape the muscle yet you just drew straightish lines at almost the same length. If you look at the spotted black area for the feathering you'll see it has a definite shape, which wasn't followed. The Cape behind Supes neck where Helspont is yanking isn't all Black. The penciller indicated linework coming out of the blacks. Otherwise both of you guys did good jobs. I wish I had time to ink this as Reis is a very good penciller and I'd like to take a shot at something he's done one day. Never look at the finished artwork before inking these things but here it is. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DQDQeSyMrS...perman0001.jpg
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #45
SeanE

SeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really nice

oh the dilemma... now which one to colour..?

Vic's or Kev's...?