The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > The Book Club

Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Biofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant future

And another thing...

Since nobody bothered to tell me that there was a sixth book in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, I didn't know about it I know it wasn't written by Adams, but has anybody else here read it? Is it a worthy successor, or money grubbing blasphemy?
Biofungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

I mentioned it here once or twice, but nobody cared.

It's by Eoin Colfer, who wrote the Artemis Fowl books, if that means anything to you. It's not what I would call a great book, but it's decent. The humor is definitely very Adams-y, but does feel a little like a pastiche at some points. It escapes from the ending of the last book in a clever way, and follows up on some stuff from earlier in the series that definitely deserved it.

A couple things: I wish Marvin had been in it; he would have helped to lighten the load that was bore mainly by new characters, when it shouldn't have been. Those new characters, also, are a little flat, but usually in an Adams-esque style. Some are written better than others.

Overall, it feels like something Adams might have written, had he lived. It redeems the story, for me, from what happened in Mostly Harmless (a book which was money-grubbing blasphemy, from my point of view). I guess you could say that it's as good as that book, but probably not as good as any of the others.
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

I didnt read it on principle...im a huge Adams fan...felt like an insult
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Biofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant futureBiofungus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMonkey View Post
I mentioned it here once or twice, but nobody cared.
Well I said, "nobody told me". If you had told me instead of merely posting it here, I'd have cared

Quote:
It's by Eoin Colfer, who wrote the Artemis Fowl books, if that means anything to you. It's not what I would call a great book, but it's decent. The humor is definitely very Adams-y, but does feel a little like a pastiche at some points. It escapes from the ending of the last book in a clever way, and follows up on some stuff from earlier in the series that definitely deserved it.

A couple things: I wish Marvin had been in it; he would have helped to lighten the load that was bore mainly by new characters, when it shouldn't have been. Those new characters, also, are a little flat, but usually in an Adams-esque style. Some are written better than others.

Overall, it feels like something Adams might have written, had he lived. It redeems the story, for me, from what happened in Mostly Harmless (a book which was money-grubbing blasphemy, from my point of view). I guess you could say that it's as good as that book, but probably not as good as any of the others.
I'm aware of the author and his previous work (well, I did do some research on the book ) But I was more curious about how people who've read the Guide compared it to the sixth book. Thank you for your input. It's like 6 bucks on Amazon, so I may give it a go.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

No libraries in town, Bio?
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Mike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud of

He's banned from all libraries because there are kids that go there.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike225 View Post
He's banned from all libraries because there are kids that go there.
Have you finished reading, "American Gods" yet?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig View Post
No libraries in town, Bio?
It would actually cost me more to go to my local library than to just order the book for 6 bucks from Amazon.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Mike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofungus View Post
Have you finished reading, "American Gods" yet?
Years ago. George made a thread.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Jon Dahl
Dust in the wind, dude.

Jon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud of

Did any of you read Starship Titanic?
http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Adamss.../dp/0345368436

It's based off of the video game that was based off of a single sentence in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

I read it a few years ago. It wasn't terrible.

How to Kill a Zombie
Jon Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Biofungus
Not for your amusement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dahl View Post
Did any of you read Starship Titanic?
http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Adamss.../dp/0345368436

It's based off of the video game that was based off of a single sentence in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

I read it a few years ago. It wasn't terrible.
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement...
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Imagine the restaurant review...

"It didn't make me want to vomit."
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
How about: "By the director of Monty Python and the Holy Grail"?
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote