The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > The Book Club > Writers' Workshop

Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Jon Dahl
Dust in the wind, dude.

Jon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud ofJon Dahl has much to be proud of

What program do you use to write?

I use Word.

How to Kill a Zombie

Last edited by Jon Dahl; 02-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Jon Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

I use whatever's on the computer I'm sitting at. Usually MS Word or WordPerfect.

After the collapse of civilization I will be using the sharpened bones of my conquered enemies to chisel my stories in stone.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Nothin' fancy, and usually not even Word. Works Word Processor or WordPad some other free shit, because I'm cheap that way (hence, no avatar ). Sometimes I'll even use something primitive like Notepad for outlines and sometimes even for short stories that don't require fancy formatting. Since most of my writing is comic scripts, though, and I need indents and stuff, Works Word Processor works just fine.
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Scrivener. Got it real cheap too, because of the NaNoWriMo discount. I like it alot.

I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the cooking.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
magiktori
Hero Wannabe

magiktori is a jewel in the roughmagiktori is a jewel in the roughmagiktori is a jewel in the rough

i use open office
magiktori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

For the most part microsoft word
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Evan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to beholdEvan Henry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiktori View Post
i use open office
Open Office is a good Word clone, and it's free. They generally run behind the real Microsoft Word's features by a good year or five. So, if you can stand using what Word was like when we were all running XP, it's a nice el cheapo alternative.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Amusing how a joke post is turned into a legit discussion.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Phillips View Post
Amusing how a joke post is turned into a legit discussion.
I saw it, but I'm not sure if any of the others did.

Anyway, it's a valid point of discussion. At some point, someone's bound to be better than someone else on this thread.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Man I get caught no matter what I do.

I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the cooking.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Ray Dillon
Golden Goat Studios

Ray Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to behold

I wish I had Microsoft WORD, dawg. I only have the normal version.

These days, I'm using Google Docs a lot for writing, because I can access it from anywhere and I actually write using my droid phone a lot, both by typing and using the voice-to-speech.

Still using Final Draft for scripts, though. Can't get better than that program! Get FINAL DRAFT here-->
ART: COVERS : COMICS : FILM/GAME : YOUTUBE : FOLLOW ME!
Ray Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dillon View Post
These days, I'm using Google Docs
Not in love with that idea much. "Cloud" is just a fancy way of saying that your shit's on someone else's computer.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Ray Dillon
Golden Goat Studios

Ray Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to beholdRay Dillon is a splendid one to behold

Honestly, if someone wanted to still my ideas they could probably find a way. Most people aren't going to care until you're super famous. Like people raid Stephen King's trash. Only Jon Dahl raids mine. I doubt there is some google employee out there scanning my files for the great American novel ... it's in there though. That's right. I'm the bloke what wrote it!
ART: COVERS : COMICS : FILM/GAME : YOUTUBE : FOLLOW ME!
Ray Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Evan Henry
Illegitimate Teletubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dillon View Post
Honestly, if someone wanted to still my ideas they could probably find a way. Most people aren't going to care until you're super famous. Like people raid Stephen King's trash. Only Jon Dahl raids mine. I doubt there is some google employee out there scanning my files for the great American novel ... it's in there though. That's right. I'm the bloke what wrote it!
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just a personal discomfort I have with stuff like that. I'd probably feel uncomfortable just putting music and pictures in the "cloud", honestly. It's an irrational fear and distrust I have of newfangled computer technology.

Now get off my lawn!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Jasen Smith
jasenstation.com

Jasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud of

I use Google docs because I do a lot of writing my my home computer, work computer, and my chrome laptop which I can tether to my phone and use google docs from anywhere using 3g.
It automatically saves practically anytime I pause to think, I can organize it in folders and subcategories and it saves a lot of space on my computer.
Currently, I'm using 8 gigs of storage on Google. That's not including my picasa account which is another 8 gigs.
Plus, there have been times when I get an email, need to make changes to a document and instead of waiting until I get home from work or from vacation or where ever I am, I can make the changes on my chromebook.
I can't say enough about how handy it's been.

Quote:
It's not the successes that count, it's how you bounce back from the failures.

~Fred Duran
Jasen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote