View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #24
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, my understanding is that Kickstarter is specific project driven... So you have an end-goal of a big thing you need to fund... and to help entice people to contribute you offer bonus things at certain contribution levels.

With Patreon, there is no specific end-goal... instead, you can setup different plateaus at which a contributor gets a thing. You can, for instance do a weekly comic strip and everyone who contributes gets to see the comic early, before you sell/post it elsewhere. That's it. No more no less. You can also set contribution levels where each patron gets a sketch or whatever for each month's contribution.

I'm not on there, but I've looked into it because of knowing some people who are on there. It does kinda seem like you already have to be someone known to get a lot of patrons, though. I don't see too many first-timers signing up and getting lots of initial contributions even if they are doing incredible work.