View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #31
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell
I can't agree with that. American comics are a pretty standard size -- the only thing that tends to vary significantly is the Live area. I don't think it's asking a lot of any artist to understand the nuts and bolts of their profession.
You'll be surprised in knowing that different publishers are requesting different specs and formats and they varies according their own criteria and convenience.
More, when they are independent as is mentioned above.
From the full size (??)1200 dpi tiff line art, to the 11x17 JPG grayscale at 300 dpi. or 6.875x10.625 line art or grayscale at 600 dpi.
Or any variation of these.
Over that, as is mentioned above, some artists are reluctant of buying a scanner, less than, of buying a graphic program for resize their artwork.
Better for them, is to put all these pages in a box and FedEx to the publisher.

Quote:
I recently received some B/W pages to use as positionals until the colorist got the final pages done, only to discover that these were: JPEGs, grayscale, and hadn't had the pencils properly erased from the boards after inking. Oh, and they were the wrong proportions.
So, "the inker" was the one who sent to you these pages with non erased pencils, not the artist.
Quote:
I'm afraid I contacted the editor and suggested in no uncertain terms that if this particular artist expected to be paid like a professional, they should most definitely learn to submit their artwork like a professional.
So the editor, he didn't knew what quality and format of artwork was sent to you.

Which means that you are working with an artist, who is an ignorant about printing formats, and inker who don't erase the pages after inking them.
And an editor who's very negligent about everything.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote