View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #231
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

Kickstarter Cost Questions

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions as far as costs for a Kickstarter. I was running some numbers and I am running into some concerns. Most of them revolve around physical rewards.

The cost to illustrate an issue of my comic is around $3850, and digital distribution doesn't cost anything. This seems like a reasonable goal for a 24 page issue. However, all successful Kickstarters I see require physical rewards.

I've been looking around and physical prints (including shipping) range from around $1875 for 500 prints and $3100 for 3000 prints (which is more cost effecient). If I also want to print a few dozen posters and postcards that's another $100 or $200.

The average successful Kickstarter, for a comic issue, tends to net around 150 backers as well. Flat rate shipping envelopes in the US tend to cost around $6 a piece. That's another $900. Not to mention shipping original art and larger posters add to these costs as well. Then there's a Kickstarter tip of 5% and up to 10% if the backer uses Amazon to pay.

This gives me a goal of $9000, which may not even cover ALL of the shipping.The problem is that's extremely high compared to other goals of around $3000 an issue. What are other people doing to drive down costs?
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote