View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #33
RonaldMontgomery
Mass Transit Ethnographer

RonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really nice

My wife mocked me for watching Battlestar Galactica. The name "Starbuck" gave her such cruel delight.
But then she started watching, and then she'd get mad if I watched without her. BSG converted my wife, which is pretty amazing.

As a life-long scifi fan, I can tell you there are people who love hard scifi because it's HARD. They love the science and the abstract ideas, and they sneer at soft scifi -- it's just not chiseled and buff.
But I think the most enduring scifi are the stories about what it means to be human, and finding an optimistic note in all the mess. People struggling for a better tomorrow.
There's a large enough body of work out there to make a good argument against me...and Philip K. Dick is the nuclear option...but that's how I feel.

Two examples:

The Miracle Mile, the '90s movie with Anthony Edwards, is great -- BUT IT IS SO FREAKING DEPRESSING.

My favorite all-time scifi story is Theodore Sturgeon's Thunder and Roses. It's about love, and hope, and how large dramas are played out on tiny, tiny stages.