View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Newt

Newt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant future

For artists:

Figure Drawing for All its Worth by Andrew Loomis

Probably the most accessible and practical figure-drawing manual. Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgeman is also good, but a little more difficult to understand.

Rendering in Pen and Ink by Arthur Guptill

The classic ink rendering book, laden with both great advice and great examples from the heyday of black-and-white book and magazine illustration. It is not about comic book inking at all, but I think that's a good thing; "traditional" comic book inking is very restricted, and it pays (for both inkers and pencillers) to be aware of some of the many other techniques out there.

Artistic Anatomy by Paul Richer

A fantastic artists' anatomy guide from the days when such things were taken seriously. There are other good semitechnical anatomy books out there, this is just the one I favor.

Not required reading, but very helpful nonetheless:

Imaginative Realism by James Gurney

Gurney shows you how to use real-life reference, props, maquettes, etc. to create realistic illustrations of things you cannot simply look at and draw, whether ancient civilizations, extinct animals, or fantasy and science fiction scenarios. The author is eminently qualified, and his writing is user-friendly. His Color and Light is also an excellent resource.

Animals Real and Imagined by Terryl Whitlatch

Great book for those interested in designing convincing fantasy creatures.
I just went on and told her
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote