View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #58
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin View Post
I've had Patreon for a while and only have 1 patron. Could use some advise on how to gain more. I also need other creators to follow on Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/incorporeal
There are, of course, nuances to the whole thing, but the basic principle is just your common sense stuff. Essentially, you need to build up enough of an audience of people who care about what you're doing. If you can do that, you've taken care of about 85% of the issue (at least). After that, if you play your cards right, a percentage of that audience will support you monetarily.

Most people who have difficulty getting Patreon to work for them simply do not have enough people who care enough about what they're doing, to say it plainly.

So, the real question for most should be, "How do I build an audience," and that is a big, deep question, but, in a nusthell...

a) Be good at what you're doing. Don't be lazy. You have to prove to people that you're worth supporting. You have to be good enough to turn people's heads. You have to be good enough to hold their attention. You have to be good enough to get them coming back for more on a consistent basis. Always work at improving your craft.

b) Supply people with content that they're not satisfactorily getting elsewhere. For example, my main character is black and there are people who want more and better diversity from escapist fiction, and characters who aren't eating off the plate of white characters, in which case they always eventually wind up in subordinate positions (ex: black girl Iron Man, black Green Lantern, and so on). So, I hopefully will have something to offer some people that will hopefully solve a problem they have.

This guy here is giving people gay superheroes, something that people looking for that aren't satisfactorily getting in mainstream media, and look how much money he is getting for solving a problem that some people have:
https://www.patreon.com/alexwoolfson
^ A lot of comics artists or writers have some dream to work for Marvel and DC, but personally, I'd much rather be where this dude is at.

c) Be consistent, both in quality and in your updates. People have to be confident they can trust you to put out content they will like and that you will PUT OUT CONTENT. There are a lot of people who flake on their comics-type endeavors because they underestimate the commitment they usually require, or they don't get the instant results they're looking for and more or less give up. Or maybe the whole thing just winds up not being for them, but in the end, the result is the same; they stop putting out content regularly, or at all.

d) Promote yourself and your work aggressively, but intelligently. There is sooooo much to say about this step that I'm not even going to try to sum it up shortly.

e) Be patient. These things take time. It takes time to build up enough content for people to come to a strong conclusion whether they really care about what you're doing. It takes time for people to find you. It takes time for people to trust you. All of this takes time, especially when you're on a very limited budget, as many people on Patreon are, which is largely why they're on Patreon.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote