View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

I appreciate the opinions on Kickstarter, guys! I know it's not for everyone (and I already KNOW you hate it Amon ). Just to hopefully clear up a few misconceptions I see popping up from time to time:

1) Despite worries about scammers running amok (which I think is not as huge as it seems) there's still plenty of fantastic projects that get funded everyday on there. I feel like Kickstarter is new and scary and different, so people (esp. in the media) are ready to point and scream "WIIIITCH! Drown it! Drown it!" As soon as anything resembling their worries rears it's head. But you cannot deny that it's a POWERFUL option to get your book made, when you do not want to depend on a publisher (which takes a larger chunk of sales than the 8% combined rate Kickstarter and Amazon Payments take)

2) Overage Amount (I suffered from people not understanding this point) When a KS goes OVER it's amount, that overage does NOT go straight to pocket. If your amount goes over by 400%, your REWARD FULFILLMENT gets bigger by 400%. You have to pay to produce and ship 400% more rewards, which costs a LOT of money! Also a little known point, unless you've been there; but a huge increase in backers can fundamentally change how you planned on handling backers and fulfillment, which costs more money. Kickstarter is NEVER a free money for all. You have to work hard for it.

3) "Fund your life" is not allowed on Kickstarter in terms that you cannot campaign to get funding to fix your car. But hiring yourself for your creative work IS ALLOWED. That is no more "funding your life" than when a Publisher gives you a check for creative work. So calling those people frauds is undue.

4) Kickstarting finished work I can more understand having a grievance, because I believe Kickstarter was meant for projects that needed help to find completion. However even for finished projects KS offers 100% control and not having to answer to a Publisher (or give them a HUGE cut). On the flip side you have to instead answer to hundreds of people, who take little or no provocation before trying to tarnish your name. So don't think it's "easy" and "no risk". KS means putting yourself and your name out there in a risky way that can turn bad if you're not accountable (sometimes if you've done nothing wrong at all, lol!)

Thanks for the discussion, guys!

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote