View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape Jenkins View Post
But famous does mean a lot more power to do what they want than most people have. It means they have access to avenues of getting their work out there that unknowns don't have. And instead of availing themselves of those, they're pushing the little guy out of the way and shoving their way to the front of the digital bread lines. And when they're done there might not be any bread left for people who actually need it. And that annoys me.
I suppose I must respectfully disagree I truly do understand your perspective, but I'm not sure you realize just how close minded most publishers are to creator owned books, even from "famous" creators. Creator Owned often equals less profit. Even if they went with your book, you're counting on that publisher to fund the creative process, which means they get an even bigger cut, not to mention since they fund the process they have a say into how many pages they're funding, and sometimes say into the creative process.

Put that against Kickstarter offering 100% creative control, with no relinquishing of profits. Unless these well known creators are rich enough to fully fund their own time, KS is often the only option to move away from the monthly work on OTHER peoples books. If you're talking RICH people that go to Kickstarter, then I understand that better, but well known creators are often caught in their own creative difficulties in which KS is their only option to be creatively free.

Some well known artists that went to Kickstarter

Jamal Igle: Molly Danger

Humberto Ramos: Fairy Quest

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! It's always interesting to read.

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote