View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #37
Hanzou

Hanzou has a spectacular aura aboutHanzou has a spectacular aura aboutHanzou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirkhofer View Post
We should be taking notes on how to fleece our fans with non-commitment?

Today I learned, that I should spend all my time on twitter talking about how good I am, instead of actually doing anything. It obviously gets better results.

What project are you supporting? read that kickstarter a little more closely. You are buying a book of previously published work, not supporting any future projects. you are supporting him playing games and spamming twitter.

It is completely unethical. If the stretch goals represented something realistic and tangible, that would be another matter. But it is a book sale, run as a donation drive, masked as a crowd funded project. fraud.
I don't know who came up with the idea of selling books at $25-$600, pay what you feel like paying, but masking it as an investment is somewhere between evil and genius.
Do you REALLY think, if that book was for sale on Amazon.com, and the price was $25-600 pay what you like, ANYONE would pay $600, because they want to help the author? no, because everyone would know damn well it was a simple sales transaction. hell, this "invest" crap avoids sales tax.
But again, how is it unethical if the people know exactly what they're purchasing? If someone is selling me a car that has frame damage and has been in a flood, and don't tell me it has frame damage and has been in a flood, and purposely scrub the records so that there's no way I can know the vehicle's history, that is unethical and is wrong.

However, if they sell me a crappy car, they tell me its a crappy car, and I KNOW its a crappy car, and I buy the crappy car anyway, how is that unethical? That's just me being a stupid consumer.

Now you can argue that Diaz's fans are idiots for supporting that Kickstarter drive, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. However, you can't say that Diaz is being unethical, because he's telling them exactly what they're purchasing. It's their money, they can spend it anyway they see fit. If someone wants to spend $40 on a print, a pdf, and three mini-prints that's their business. If 7k people want this guy to sit on his butt and play videogames all day, again, that's their business.

Diaz definitely isn't evil, but he's definitely a genius. Again, we should all be taking notes.
Hanzou is offline   Reply With Quote