View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

your sfx

can i venture an opinion regarding your sound effects?

in my opinion, no sfx font can be used off the shelf, no matter how well designed it may be. it's not enough to run the letters on a curved path, or put them through a filter, or shear them. they have to be outlined, and then individually character by character manipulated.

some people like to build a sound effect to a climax. others prefer to let all letters have equal emphasis. i prefer the former, but a lot of great work has been done in the latter fashion. it's a matter of your own taste, and also a matter of what will look best with the drawings. if there is a lot of agitation in the drawings, with bold use of black areas, and a lot of sharp diagonals, then you're more or less obligated to match your sfx to this approach. this would maybe suggest climaxing each sfx, and making sure that there are no parallel lines or right angles.

if the pictures are somewhat bland and right-angled, then a less emphatic approach is called for. you don't want to compete with the artist for attention. you are his (or her) servant, not the other way around.

within my own limited experience, pencillers seem to fall into one category or the other. Eduardo Risso and Pia Guerra's designs are very right-angled, and somewhat flat. this calls for more square-ish sfx. (i have only recently learned to do this; i used to use the same kind of sfx fonts for everybody, and wondered why it was looking so awful and why i wasn't having any fun. there is a lesson in this: if the sfx type you use doesn't look good on the books you letter, consider designing some type that will work. designing sfx type is not a major project like a body copy style is.)

ben oliver is an example of the other category. it's all strong diagonals and terribly agitated use of black areas.

i think the page you've showed is an example of something squarish, calling for a less intrusive kind of type. one could make the case that the sfx you used are the most exciting thing on the page. they certainly tell the story of the unseen torture, but they dominate things. they are also, in my opinion, too small. if someone's being tortured and is screaming, it ought to take up some more real estate than this.

just my opinion.
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote