Digital Webbing Forums

Digital Webbing Forums (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lettering Showcase (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lettering with Corel Draw (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91208)

nihane26 05-07-2006 09:35 PM

Lettering with Corel Draw

Just curious if anyone knows how to letter with corel draw. I'm having some problems and some help would be appreciated.

Piekos 05-08-2006 09:16 AM

I use Corel DRAW for design all the time. Ask away.

~N

nihane26 05-08-2006 10:18 PM

How do i do word balloons? i've tried and i can't seem to get it right.

Piekos 05-09-2006 11:35 AM

Create a circle with the cirlce tool.

If you want to square it off just a little bit, convert it to curves: ARRANGE/CONVERT TO CURVES. Select the Shape tool (the node editor) and click anywhere on the circle. You'll see the 4 nodes appear. Select one of the nodes and while holding down the CONTROL key, Pull on the node "arms" that appear. Repeat on the node on the other side.

To create the tail: Draw a triangle with the Freehand tool. Select the Shape tool again, select the triangle and when the nodes are selected, you can click the CONVERT LINE TO CURVE button on the menu at the top of your workspace. Then just grab the lines that you want to curve and curve them.

To connect the tail to the balloon, place the tail on the balloon, select both with the Pick tool and then hit the WELD button at the top of your work space.

It sounds way more complex than it is. Takes all of 5 seconds when you get used to it.

~N

nihane26 05-09-2006 06:33 PM

Thanks for the help. I was about to pull my hair out figuring that out. :)

Ace Corona 06-26-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piekos (Post 972569)
I use Corel DRAW for design all the time. Ask away.

~N

Can you show examples of your lettering with CorelDraw?

Stewart Vernon 06-26-2018 11:36 PM

The post you're replying to is over 12 years old... he might not be using Corel Draw anymore.

Bishop 06-27-2018 11:16 AM

Also, I haven't seen Piekos around here for a very long time. It is unlikely he will come back and post samples.

paul brian deberry 06-27-2018 05:20 PM

Yeah, he was using CorelDraw probably to save money.

Ace Corona 06-27-2018 05:20 PM

Sorry for necroposting, I Googled this topic and it brought me to this thread.

paul brian deberry 06-27-2018 05:31 PM

Nah, it's cool.

Stewart Vernon 06-28-2018 04:11 AM

Yeah... just didn't want you to be waiting for an answer that probably wasn't coming :)

I will say, that I honestly don't remember ever hearing of anyone lettering in Corel Draw outside of this thread. My father used it for years as a Technical Illustrator before switch back to Adobe Illustrator... and when I was at IBM they used Corel Draw for Technical Illustrations in all the manuals we wrote... but when I was looking into tools-of-the-trade for comics stuff, I never found references to anything other than Illustrator for lettering.

Ace Corona 07-03-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Vernon (Post 1875773)
Yeah... just didn't want you to be waiting for an answer that probably wasn't coming :)

I will say, that I honestly don't remember ever hearing of anyone lettering in Corel Draw outside of this thread. My father used it for years as a Technical Illustrator before switch back to Adobe Illustrator... and when I was at IBM they used Corel Draw for Technical Illustrations in all the manuals we wrote... but when I was looking into tools-of-the-trade for comics stuff, I never found references to anything other than Illustrator for lettering.

Thank you for your concern, I was interested in seeing if Corel was a cheaper alternative to Illustrator, I have the student edition of CS 5 but my laptop isnít going to last forever. If I got a new laptop, the adobe subscription seems overpriced.

Toondoctor 07-03-2018 02:06 PM

Corel Draw's most current version is probably very similar to Illustrator. Haven"t used them it in over a decade but it was solid then, probably still is now. The toolsets of most of these apps have stabilized over decades ago. The differences are in export filter, plug ins and interface.

Ace Corona 07-03-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toondoctor (Post 1875858)
Corel Draw's most current version is probably very similar to Illustrator. Haven"t used them it in over a decade but it was solid then, probably still is now. The toolsets of most of these apps have stabilized over decades ago. The differences are in export filter, plug ins and interface.

Thank you for your help, thatís good to know