PDA

View Full Version : coloring question

Calloway
09-03-2006, 05:36 PM
When I color I use channels instead of layers. Is there a way to isolate certain lines to convert from black to color using the channels method?

Also how do some colorists approach glow effects (such as the sun, a blue glowing orb etc)?

MadCow Menu
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
You know when you save all your black lines in the begining as a chanel? Well after you do that, select the black area that you want to color, go to select> load selection and hit cubtract from selection with the black selected and hit the Invert button. That will select only the black that you want to change the color.

For glow effects, I just use the airbrush tool with low opacity.

Calloway
09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I must not be understanding that right because I went to try selecting just that line but all the line work had ants marching.

dbztoolkit
09-10-2006, 06:42 PM
whats the advantage for your coloring for using channels just wondering.

Biofungus
09-10-2006, 10:14 PM
you can seperate by colors, and then recall those selections in case you have to re-work them. I'm sure others can give you more/better reasons.

Calloway
09-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Honestly, channels is how I started.

It was just a natural progression from cmyk graphic design I have done. I can't picture doing layers at all, except for maybe effects.

Biofungus
09-11-2006, 02:56 AM
you're talking about a color hold. To be honest, what I do, is create a new layer, then select the alpha channel with the lineart (scanning tutorials will say, make a copy of the blue channel, and rename it "lineart", since the blue channel will give you the crispest copy of the line art, then when you need it, you select the lineart channel, and selection>invert.

Then on that new layer, fill the selection with black, and then check the "preserve transparency" option, and just color over the black lines with what you want the color hold to be.

As for a glow, Ken's got it. AFAIK, I don't know anybody else who does it differently. Just a lower opacity brush with a nice feathered edge, and it gives you a nice glow (just make sure you lay down your darker color, then lighter second for the glow to work). You do that right over the line art layer (just make sure you uncheck "preserve transparency" at that point, or all you'll do is color the line art).

this is a close up of an image I did last year (I think), I did the color hold and soft airbrush to make it glow.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/Biofungus/robotomyglow.jpg

Biofungus
09-11-2006, 02:58 AM
A better example (within my own work) might be this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/Biofungus/art/GrantPerkinsRasmusLykkeMark.jpg

It's a collab that I worked with Doxx and Boy on (I colored it). I used a few glow/color holds in this one.