PDA

View Full Version : Vectorizing a logo

TGK
08-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I wanted to redo this title logo in Illustrator
http://tgsangalang.com/avatars/tinsoldier.jpg
the image quality is bad (did this in Photoshop) .
I was wondering if their is an easy way to do this. Any tips here?
Thanks!

BKMDog
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Adobe used to make a small, simple inexpensive program called Streamline, which will do exactly what you're after: vectorize this logo. You should be able to pick up a copy on Ebay for next to nothing.

I'm less familiar with the newer versions of Illustrator: CS & CS2, but my understanding is that Streamline has more or less been incorporated into AI as a function called: Live Trace ( somebody correct me if I'm wrong ), so that may be an option as well.

Rotin
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Man, with something that simple, you could have it traced out in no time....
Dunno about an easy way, but all you`ve got to do is just run around the lines with your pen tool, then copy the fills...

Biofungus
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
1] streamline is not inexpensive. Even though Adobe stopped developing it in 1998, they were STILL charging 150 bucks for it up until july 2005, when they decided to stop support, development, and sale of Streamline (IOW, good luck finding it).

2] if you made the logo in Photoshop, chances are you still have the font, no? Just do it again in Illustrator. Even the green background is really easy to do in illustrator. Just make a copy of the type layer, shade it, make sure it's behind the black text, and for the extra spaces, like near the "S", just modify the path at that point to fill in the space behind the text. If you have the font, I'll bet even I, a relative Illustrator novice, in Illustrator 9 (or even Corel Draw) can recreate that logo very quickly. That's not a personal insult, honest. I'm just saying, aside from actual text manipulation (beyond simply scaling it vertically), it's a really easy logo to reproduce (and frankly, with most logos, simple is better).

Re: Live Trace:
Actually, even Illustrator 9 has an "auto trace" tool. It's a little harder to configure than Streamline (since streamline is an application that basically traces the entire image, whereas autotrace you are tracing one contigious part after another), but it's been improving in each iteration of Illustrator (although some would contend up until Live Trace, Streamline was always better), but yes, Live Trace is definetly top notch, and much better than Streamline. It's what streamline... 7? would have been had they kept developing it.

For the record though, with simpler shapes like this, Corel Trace (which comes with the Corel Graphics Suite) is actually much more efficient (same if you're tracing a color image).

All that being said, if you still have the original photoshop file, but not the font (meaning the text in the file would have been rasterized), I could give it a run through Corel trace and save it as an AI file...

BKMDog
08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Great info, Bio. Thanks.

TGK
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I dont have Streamline . I guess i have to trace it i n Illustrator then.

steveo
08-31-2006, 08:20 PM
That would take you 5 minutes tops to trace in AI. Go at it!!!

:)

SteveO