PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic Stylus's

Scott Story
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Is there anyone here besides me who has gotten to the point that using a computer stylus is painful? I suppose it's some variation of Blackberry Thumb or the infamous gamers thumb, but I don't play games or own a blackberry. Anyway, I've gotten to the point that I have to wear a wrist band, take pain medication, and take breaks when I work on the computer with the stylus. And, of course, once you've gotten use use to using a stylus, coloring with a mouse is the equivalent of inking with a two-by-four.

Have any of you had any luck with ergonomic stylus's? Is there anything out there that you've heard of that can bypass this painful condition?

MadCow Menu
08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Have you been to the doctor to get it checked out? Might be Carpal tunnel syndrome (http://www.webmd.com/hw/carpal_tunnel/hw213311.asp) which is common in artists.

I myself have Carpal tunnel vision. All I can see is my own hand.

Scott Story
08-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi, Ken

Actually, I do have carpal tunnel. I've got surgery for it coming right up. So, whether this is a separate problem or related, I've got five or six weeks coming up where I have to rest this hand. Still, I'm hoping to find something that keeps this from being a recurring problem.

Biofungus
08-30-2006, 06:39 AM
I don't know what your financial situation is, but you might want to invest in a Tablet PC, or Wacom Cintiq. Both are going to run you a couple of thousand, and Cintiq is listed as ergonomic. The thing is, both of them you are basically drawing right on the screen (as opposed to manipulating the cursor in a device that simulates drawing on the screen), so you're going to be as close to your natural drawing position as possible. If your natural drawing position is giving you trouble as well, well, the only advice I can give you is: take up writing full time :har:

Scott Story
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Not a bad suggestion, Bio.

Luckily, I can still pencil & ink relatively pain free.