PDA

View Full Version : question for mustek scanners

shushubag
08-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I got a mustek scanner. I think it's called Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB

I'm trying to figure out to set the scanner to 600 dpi but there is no option for it.

Is it in the resolution? The options in that is normal, fine, or super fine.

Or is it in the scan mode? The options there is color, gray, or line art.

I asked a ways back for this scanner here a ways back and alot of people mentioned it, so I'm guessing some people around here either have it or had it at some point.

BKMDog
08-25-2006, 07:30 AM
My guess would be that it is in resolution.

Further, why don't you just try scanning using each option: normal, fine and super fine, with the same piece of art, and then open it in your image editing software - Photoshop or whatever. Then, check under Image Size from the menu bar and it should tell you how the commands from your scanner: normal, fine and super fine, translate out in terms of dpi.

In other words: normal may turn out to be 300 dpi, super fine might be 600 and maybe superfine could be 1200 or 1600. Again, I'm just guessing, but the best way to learn how the device works is to experiment with it.

And color, gray or line art are exactly that: modes. Each will give you a certain type of file format when you scan in that mode: Color will probably give you an RGB file. Gray, a grayscale file and line art a file in bitmap mode. But experiment, Shushubag, you'll learn the device inside and out and obviously, get a better result. Hope this helps.

sgm
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
You should install the TWAIN driver (30 megs).

It's the 1st option when you start the installation CD for the scanner. If you don't have Photoshop already installed, follow the instructions and install the limited version of Photoshop 5 that comes with it.

After that run Photoshop and choose:File>Import>Select Twain_32 Source>Scanexpress A3 USB

To scan: File>Import>Twain32

You can then choose whatever dpi and settings you want.

GW.Fisher
08-25-2006, 05:11 PM
In PhotoShop 7, click file, import, choose scan express. A scan window pops up & you can set lineart, grey, & 24 or 48 bit color. You can also set the image size & dpi settings as you se fit.

The Mustek is great!! Mines well over 3 yrs old now & still kicking...

dano
08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
mine scans color like crap. Its got streaks on the final image. B&W is fine. Anyone have that problem?

TGK
08-25-2006, 11:34 PM
the prblems i had with Mustek is the power chord , my scanning freezes and said "power failure" so I had to restart my Photoshop again and the preview button doesnt work anymore :blink:

Scaleyinx
08-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I've had both steaky color scans and power cord issues. I recently bought a new power cord because mine finally died. But there's nothing I can do about the streaks in the color scans. Still, it's great for B & W, and you can't beat the price!

Propsdue
08-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Mine is crap..I've got these line thingees running horizontal in all my scans..Nothing i seem to do will get rid of them.... :man:

sgm
08-26-2006, 02:00 AM
The color scans from the Mustek are always going to be bad. It's only good for greyscale and B+W art.

Gilby
08-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Last time I went to the Mustek website, there were some more recent downloads available for TWAIN and installation. Still neither download worked when I tried to install it on one of my PCs on which the scanner had worked before.

It seems to me--and I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience--that I am only able to successfully install the scanner on a PC that is running a slightly outdated version of XP Home. After this latest round of fiddling with trying to get it installed, it's running fine on an old laptop. On my other PCs, the "Detect New Hardware" wizard never seems to recognize the scanner--one of the MS Service Packs must create a conflict between the scanner and the Hardward Wizard whereas it installs like a dream on my "slightly outdated" laptop. At least that's my latest theory.

Also--if you don't have Photoshop or don't want to use the bundled Limited Edition version, you can download GIMP for free and use the acquire function to import scans from the Mustek.

John Fields
09-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I've got the Mustek 1200 ub and it works fine in all dpi - I can go to 2400dpi - it takes forever and i dont see the point of it - color my shift a tad but no streaks.

TGK
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Anyone here with a Mustek A3 USB scanner installation CD that I could borrow? Mine got lost and I need to install it again cuz my comp Harddrive got corrupted.

Biofungus
04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
http://www.mustek.com.tw/Download/driv_scanr/html/english.html

http://www.driverstock.com/Mustek-A3-driver-download/31-7-9046/index.html

As far as any software, I can't help ya there, sorry :(

TGK
04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.mustek.com.tw/Download/driv_scanr/html/english.html

http://www.driverstock.com/Mustek-A3-driver-download/31-7-9046/index.html

As far as any software, I can't help ya there, sorry :(
hey, thanks bio! i'll check it out and see if it works.

TGK
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Well i tried it it didnt work, it was asking for installation disk#5 and I dont know what that is.
So yeah I still needed the installation CD, Im willing to trade it with a dvd movie or art commission .