PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in comics (or illustration)

jokerwilde
08-10-2006, 07:52 PM
this was originally to be posted here, but was posted in Creator Community by accident :P

Hi there!

I've been a member of this community for over half a year or so. I just had a few general questions about finding work through these 'help wanted' forums. I'd really appreciate it if answers could be provided to me.

What should i know about safety/privacy (protecting my work, etc) when it comes to accepting work opportunities online and through these forums? Is there anything i should be familiar with when it comes to contracts, royalties and such? Are there any other websites similar to this one where art can be posted, and jobs can be found?

Also a quick critique or feedback on any of my art is more than welcomed, i want to be able to get into the field, and soon! I'll post some of my more recent (summer) work on here, and at mokad.deviantart.com (my website is still in the works :P).

If you have any answers or advice, please do reply back here or PM me! THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Sincerely
- dru

Gonzogoose
08-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Many people will tell you many different things. I say if you're just starting out aim high, but expect low. Be open to low paying gigs, but don't sell yourself short. Usually it's best to have a contract in place saying you retain the rights to your original work, but remember that you are providing a service in a work-for-hire situation. If it is a paying job have it worked out where they don't get all the art before you're paid.

As for other sites, there's www.penciljack.com, probably the next best one to here.

Others will probably elaborate more for you.