PDA

View Full Version : COVERS!!! How to draw a good cover for a comic book?

art_o_matic2k
07-30-2006, 01:48 AM
What makes a good comic book cover and is there a formula ( similar to the Z formation in sequential pages) that I can follow?

Who is the the best cover artist in your opinion and why?

VANDAL
07-30-2006, 11:05 AM
There are MANY good ways to make a memorable cover. If i were you, i wouldnt worry so much about any particular formation like a sequential page, i would worry more about conveying the contents of your book in a single image. Bill Sienkiewicz is a master of this, just check out his Elektra Assassin covers.

Calloway
07-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Have a good eye for composition. By this, make a design and not an art piece. In fact, for practice make fake ads for various things.

Justice41
07-31-2006, 03:29 AM
There is a formation for Covers it's a triangle.
Here's Jim Lees Wildstorm blog. Scroll all the way down on this page to get a feel of how to design a cover. Then bookmark and rummage around. It's a great site.
http://gelatometti.blogspot.com/2004_11_21_gelatometti_archive.html

dano
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
^ are okay but its just one type of composition. I'm sure most people here have heard of the golden section, another method of layout.

But thats just fundamentals of good illustration. it's not specific to comic covers.

IMO a really good cover should introduce a question. It doesn't necessarily have to summarize the insides. If you can create an image that inspires a question you've leveraged curiosity. Curiosity is what makes people pick things off of shelves and flip thru.

Pin ups make bad covers because they do nothing to that effect, even if its in a ^ shape.

omega sentry
08-06-2006, 01:29 PM
uhhhmmm pimp-ups can do fine I think it just depends on how you use them...of course pim-ups alone only work on magazines.

See Pimp up...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/omegas_sentry/TPS.jpg

down21
08-07-2006, 01:56 AM
It's interesting to view the thumbnails at Frazettas site because you can see he uses certain rules a lot.
The slash from about an inch from the upper left corner to the lower right.
often a dark mass at the lower left corner. and oblique triangle on oblique.
He's just amazing. So I'm trying to figure it out. (good luck)

JamieRoberts
08-09-2006, 02:50 PM
My favourite cover.
http://www.kubertsworld.com/gallery/adam_b.jpg

down21
08-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Wow, that effin rocks!

The Anti-crest
08-10-2006, 02:47 AM
my favorite covers are by Dave Mckean.

Craig DeBoard
08-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Have a good eye for composition. By this, make a design and not an art piece. In fact, for practice make fake ads for various things.

I couldn't agree more.

prochristi86
08-13-2006, 07:31 PM
^ are okay but its just one type of composition. I'm sure most people here have heard of the golden section, another method of layout.

But thats just fundamentals of good illustration. it's not specific to comic covers.

IMO a really good cover should introduce a question. It doesn't necessarily have to summarize the insides. If you can create an image that inspires a question you've leveraged curiosity. Curiosity is what makes people pick things off of shelves and flip thru.

Pin ups make bad covers because they do nothing to that effect, even if its in a ^ shape.

I agree completely. After all, the whole point of a cover in the first place is to get up the random passer-by to pick the thing up and look at it, right? Thus, is the cover fails to generate interest in SOME way, it's failed to sell the book, IMHO. To me, really cool or unusual art makes me interested in something the same way a question does, BTW.

James Smith

Spacious Interior
08-14-2006, 03:18 AM
Something that always stands out for me as a good cover design is multiple points of focus. A good way to do this is by bringing the eye towards an area of contrasting colors yet somewhere else in the composition, knock'em out with a good black-n-white. Granted, balance is key. Hard to pull off...but if done right, it's really something and your eyes never stop traveling. You knida' have to take in the whole page.

jaratr
08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Think with both your design mind and your photographic mind. What makes a well composed photo will do the same for a layout.

Morgue File (http://morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php?sid=68c62aa3e7a660826a33e5bdb102cee5 ) has a good primer on composition and design thought. Make sure to check out all the lessons.

Much of the tenets discussed therein are those I use in graphic design every day. :)