PDA

View Full Version : Another question

JonHParrish
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, I was writing up my synopsis form my graphic novel idea to send to Dark Horse and I was confused. They say to tell the whole story, but I don't know if that means the whole story contained in the graphic novel or everything overall? I was just wondering because I left the ending open. I know it might sound like a stupid question, but I really want to get everything right and wopuld hate to get caught up on symantics.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fred Duran
07-13-2006, 01:06 PM
If you're submitting a synopsis to a publisher, give them everything, but keep it consise. If you need backstory to shed a little light on the present, include it, but keep it very brief, and use it only if the reader would be COMPLETELY lost without it. As for the synopsis itself, tell them the beginning, middle and end, omitting unnecessary details and giving them the bare-boned plot points that create all the other little things that you omitted.
The only one you want to keep in the dark about the ending is the reader - and the person you least want to keep in the dark about anything is the editor looking at your submission.
Hope this helps, and good luck.

Fred

JonHParrish
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
It helps me a great deal. Thanks. I really appreciate it.