PDA

View Full Version : Story Treatment Question

Awesomus Prime
07-08-2006, 11:07 AM
So what format would you all use for writing a treatment of a story. By treatment I mean an extended pitch or summary for an entire book or story arc. I've been using as follows:

TITLE:____

CONCEPT:_____

PLOT:
CHAPTER X:______
CHAPTER X2:______

CHARACTERS:
JOHN DOE:______
JACK SMITH:______
JANE DOE:_______

I may be the only person who actually does this, I'm used to working in theatre.

jrod
07-08-2006, 12:24 PM
So what format would you all use for writing a treatment of a story. By treatment I mean an extended pitch or summary for an entire book or story arc. I've been using as follows:

TITLE:____

CONCEPT:_____

PLOT:
CHAPTER X:______
CHAPTER X2:______

CHARACTERS:
JOHN DOE:______
JACK SMITH:______
JANE DOE:_______

I may be the only person who actually does this, I'm used to working in theatre.

When I'm editing a project I ask for almost the same thing, except with characters in front of plot so they're easier to flip to for refreshers.

I also ask for publishing/marketing plan and schedule at the end.

Awesomus Prime
07-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks, now a pitch obviously wopuld be shorter than a full treatment right? What would you include in one? Actually I think I might have seen another thread about that...

jrod
07-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks, now a pitch obviously wopuld be shorter than a full treatment right? What would you include in one? Actually I think I might have seen another thread about that...

Well - in the strict definition a pitch would sort of be your concept section of your treatment. A high level sentence or two and the complete story laid out in less than a page.

But, in reality, a pitch is whatever you need to put together to sell someone on a project. And sometimes that's the full treatment, sometimes it's a couple of comic pages and sometimes it's a sentence. I put together a pitch recently that was 28 pages long. Talked about it right here (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93634).