PDA

View Full Version : Artist Models

JeffW.
07-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Does anyone use these? I used to have one of those wooden figures, but it was so unflexable I never used it. I saw where Mwynn posted this,
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=1201R&promo=MALE0622&source=062206news

and it looked like it would be more usefull.

Any thoughts?

Scott Story
07-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I've got this guy, and the female version too. They are pretty handy. There are also some highly articulated Spider-Man toys out there that work well, if you don't mind them not having facial features because of the mask.

I'll admit, I don't use models too much, but every now and again I'll get stuck for how a pose works and pull them out.

ChrisK
07-06-2006, 01:13 AM
well, to be honest, nothing is better than a live model. and a digital camera.

but, If your going for something practical and just too damn cool, find the 67-point articulated Spider-Man (from spider-man 2). Its got snap joints, so it'll stay in place, it bends all over, even the knuckles are jointed. I got mine for my birthday, although we actually bought it at K-B toys, on clearance for $15.99. AND its a little over 18 inches tall, and heavy as a rock.

Amazon Specs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D12XS/104-0684153-0616709)

Dont buy it there. its a rip. Find it at a K-B or Toys R' US. Its old, it might be a little hard to find, but soooo worth it. You might wanna try wal-mart or target as well.

JeffW.
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I actually have that Spidey, man posing that thing is like a workout, it's joints are so tight. Plus, It's too heavy for me to hold and sketch, sometimes I use a Stikfa for quick poses, it's so posable and small I can simply hold it in one hand and sketch with the other, I just use it for very basic sketches.

And yes I agree that live models are great. I took a few figure drawing classes a while ago and I loved them, but they are no longer offered. DAMN!

Scott Story
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I go to open studio and draw live models once or twice a week. You can't do much better.

Scaleyinx
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Live models all the way!

Every once in awhile I'll get stuck on lighting issues when coloring, so I'll turn to bribing my son and his friends with ice-cream and dollars to model for me at various locations. I offer to pay them a 'dollar a minute' for actual modeling time, which usually only amounts to 5 to 10 minutes when kids/teens are involved. Of course there's the boring 40 minute drive to get to the location and a hefty hike I often forget to mention (and don't offer to pay for :p ) And I let them all know in advance that I don't pay for clowning around. Which naturally takes up about 90% of our time at the location. And just so you don't think I'm a she-pimp, I never, NEVER sneek sketches or pictures of them while they're goofing off,... never :whistlin: