PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone and a question about inking

jseymour
06-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Hi everybody,

Well I have decided to try to start inking again, mainly because I just love the art of simple black and white. It has been a long time since I have touched a brush or looked into this idustry and man have things changed over the past 10 years. I'm sure you all have stories about that I would love to hear.
I have a few questions about inking now in this digital age. I have searched the forums now for many nights and have gotten quite a few answers there, and would like to thank everyone for there tutorials they have been great. So here they are:
I have seen most talk about the Mustek A3 scanner. I am trying to find one now, most places have them out of stock so as soon as I can get one I will. So does anyone no where one can be found besides amazon, and overstock that is currently out of them?
What type of printer is best. I have seen many different brands talked about on here as long as the were wide formant printers. What is everyones opion on the printers?
Types of paper? I have the blueline pro that is ok, it's left over from over 10 years ago, just got to blow off the dust as well as some really impressive stuff I got from the Kubert art school. Is it more economical to just order the bristol and cut to size, or order the stuff from EON, Blueline, or Kubert?
I would like to thank everyone so far for there help and hope you have a nice day.

Jimmy

MadCow Menu
06-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Welcome aboard J.
Hi everybody,I have a few questions about inking now in this digital age. I have searched the forums now for many nights and have gotten quite a few answers there, and would like to thank everyone for there tutorials they have been great. So here they are:
Hope you checked out the Inker's Links (http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82755) for a bunch of good links.
I have seen most talk about the Mustek A3 scanner. I am trying to find one now, most places have them out of stock so as soon as I can get one I will. So does anyone no where one can be found besides amazon, and overstock that is currently out of them?
Most normal office supply/electronics stores I have seen only carry the regular sized scanners. Have you tried a place like Best Buy or Circuit City? You can also order from the website--- www.mustek.com.
Or try these searches HERE (http://shopping.yahoo.com/search?p=Mustek%20scanner&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&cop=mss&fr2=tab-web) and HERE (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Mustek+scanner&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle)
What type of printer is best. I have seen many different brands talked about on here as long as the were wide formant printers. What is everyones opion on the printers?
I rely on places like Kinko's and Staples to print out my stuff that I want to look really nice. I burn em a disk and bring it to them.
Types of paper? I have the blueline pro that is ok, it's left over from over 10 years ago, just got to blow off the dust as well as some really impressive stuff I got from the Kubert art school. Is it more economical to just order the bristol and cut to size, or order the stuff from EON, Blueline, or Kubert?
We've got a thread going on over HERE (http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91144) about every one's prefered paper.

dano
06-23-2006, 05:56 PM
i must warn you that while the Mustek is good for B&W images, it scans color like utter crap. Mine usually ends up with noticable streaks from scanning. It drives me bonkers.

VANDAL
07-03-2006, 04:04 AM
As an inker, my Mustek A3 is the best damned investment i have made. I bought it on Ebay for next to nothing brand new in box. As for my wide format printer i have an HP Deskjet 1120c and it hasnt let me down either. It's pretty compact and does the job of printing my bluelines out like a champ. As for paper, Strathmore 300 bristol either vellum or smooth is perfect and i cut them from 17x14 down to 17x11 at Kinko's for free. Trust me man, i have bought a LOT of stupid shit trying to get the right things and these are the items i have settled on and they all work great.

jseymour
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
thanks for the help guys. I got to work over a 120 hours of overtime this last month so that will pay for the scanner and few other things I need to get this ball rolling. Now I just need a month off to recuperate.

Jimmy

JMan
07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I just want to echo Vandal's recommendations - ditto, ditto, and ditto.