PDA

View Full Version : How do you draw someone nodding?

Gav Heryng
05-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi, folks,

Pretty straightforward, really. I'm suprised to find I've never had to draw someone nodding before, so any suggestions or examples would be great.

Cheers

Dis

MadCow Menu
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Sleeping or silently saying yes?

If it's nodding yes--- I would draw motion lines of the person's head going up and down.

Gav Heryng
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Nodding in agreement.

I'm not so hot with motion lines. Any chance you can show me a quick example?

Cheers

Dis

Jon Dahl
05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jdo0865l.jpg

Justice41
05-30-2006, 12:48 AM
I'd say you have to include some sort of facial expression and maybe a thumbs up or something indicating the character is nodding.

nate lovett
05-30-2006, 01:02 AM
I'd say you have to include some sort of facial expression and maybe a thumbs up or something indicating the character is nodding.

agreed. ususally when i draw someone nodding approval, i tend to have them smiling and doing something "positive" with their hands, because even if you tilt the head to show the nod, unfortunately, it's not going to come across as that completely.

Justice41
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey Nate New here? Try getting a gig in DWP. I think your stuffs ready.

nate lovett
05-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Hey Nate New here? Try getting a gig in DWP. I think your stuffs ready.

heh, i've been a long time lurker here. and actually, i'm getting ready to work on something with ron phillips for dwp, as a matter of fact. along with a slew of other stuff with various folks.

Justice41
05-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Excellentee' Do good bud.

omega sentry
05-31-2006, 03:44 AM
I would probably separate that motion in to 3 panels. That would show the action best I think. You know where some times the show the action of a characters in one panel by show 3 to more action posses each not having much color and the last color. Maybe that but not sure it would work with this. I’d go with 3 panels…or dahls sugestion.

Justice41
06-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Don't use motion lines it turns the drawing into a cartoon. Use hand and facial gestures that fit. Like a thumbs up of smirk or wink or something real people do when giving a disapproving nod or an approving nod.

dano
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
What is the context of the nod? Is it a serious drama story, a light hearted fun thing, a cartoony style or realist?

Nodding is typically one of those things you should chastize your writer for incorporating, anong with multiple actions in one panel. It rarely comes across well.

If its cartoony or light hearted you can get away with drawing motion lines, or several faces imposed on eachother with some motion lines if its an exceptionally energetic nod. It really depends on the type of nod and the feel/style of the story.

Scaleyinx
06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
So how would one draw a dramatic nod? Or any kind of dramatic non-verbal communication for that matter.

For example, how about hand signals or a nod between Native American Indians? Or stealthy ninja's prepping for an attack trying to be silent?

Gav Heryng
06-04-2006, 05:22 PM
It basically one character saying something, and another nodding in agreement in the same panel. The panel description doesn't give the impression the character is nodding over-enthusiastically, so that multiple face thing might look a bit out of place, as would motion lines. I've been reading over it, and I might get away with just an agreeing smile and a slight tilt of the head.

Dis