PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good refs on night vision or heat vision...for digital coloring

omega sentry
05-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Looking for good reference pics on night vision or heat vision...for digital coloring. There is this panel I have where the character is looking through a night vision or heat vison x-ray goggles.

I haven't been satisfide with the refs I've googled... any one got good ones you can link me up to or post here?

MadCow Menu
05-29-2006, 02:42 PM
I would pop in one of the Predator movies. Can't get much better referance than that!

MadCow Menu
05-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Actually found this one too:

Start out a with the image you want to apply the heat vision on.
I picked a picture out of the movie Commando with our buddy Arnie because he usually looks good in thermal vision. Right Mr. Predator?

Duplicate the layer with the image on it by dragging its icon in the Layers palette to the Create a New Layer-button.
Go to Filter > Extract... (Ctrl+Alt+X). Drag with the Edge Highlighter Tool (B) around the object you want "hot". Fill the inner space of the highlight using the Fill Tool (G) and then hit OK.
I've hidden the underlying layer in my image to the left.

Hide the extracted layer by clicking on the eye-icon next to the layer in the Layers palete.
Activate the bottom layer and go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur... Use a fairly small radius between 2-5px or so.
Move on to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation... (Ctrl+U), check the Colorize box and play around with the settings until you get the shade you're looking for. I used these values:
Hue: 235
Saturation: 40
Lightness: -30

Make top top layer visible by bring back the eye-icon in the Layer palette again. Make sure that the extruded (top) layer is active and go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur... Use a fairly small radius here as well, 2px worked for me.
Ctrl+click on the layers icon in the Layers palette to bring out its selection. Go to the bottom of the Layers palette and click the Create new fill or adjustment layer-button and choose Gradient Map... from the menu. Select the Photoshop preset Spectrum among the different gradients. Hit OK.

Select the extruded layer and move on to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast... Play around with the sliders until you are satisfied with the outcome.
I use these settings:
Brightness: 25
Contrast: 60
Finally i topped it all off by adding a layer of scanlines on the top. If you're not sure on how to make these scanlines check this tutorial.

Gav Heryng
05-29-2006, 03:09 PM
That's quality!

Nyoink!

Dis

PS: Ken , you forgot to link the tutorial for the scan lines.

omega sentry
05-29-2006, 03:59 PM
hey thanks that'll work...