PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Magazine

BillNichols
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm the editor of Sketch Magazine, www.bluelinepro.com (http://www.bluelinepro.com), and making the inner workings of the comics/art process is something I'm about, whether it's the ides and procedures to the tools. These things I hope are reflected in the magazine.

I also ink comics. I did 9 pages of IDW's Spike vs. Dracula#1 over the pencils of Joe Corroney. And I have a few other irons in the fire as well.

I'm always interested in hearing from other artists and folks in the Biz...

ryanscottottney
05-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Need any writers? :laugh:

BillNichols
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Most of the tech and how to stuff we're covered on, I'd say, but I am looking at doing at the writing process. For example, we'll be running Peter David's script for Fallen Angel from IDW along with the art in an upcoming issue. What have you got?

j giar
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey Bill! My retailer brings in your mag for me. Great magazine. Would like to see a little more "how to" or "how the pro's do it" for my own tastes. Everyones got an opinion..right? :laugh: Magazines such as yours are needed in our industry. Keep up the good work.

BillNichols
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
What you're asking for is exactly something I've been cultivating amongst my comics buds, old and new. There are several I'm working on, so I hope you'll see those soon! Thanks!

ryanscottottney
05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I've got some thoughts. I'll email you. I assume I can find your email on the site.

Phatman
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Bill:

I'm a big fan of Sketch and Blueline. The magazine has a lot of good "how to" stuff and perspectives from creators in the business. I'd like to see an issue devoted to discussions with editors on exactlly what things they are looking for in new artists and writers, what catches their eye and what doesn't, and what common mistakes are made in pitches to publishers like Image.

BillNichols
05-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Actually, that's one of the things I'm working on!

And my e-mail address is: billnicholscomicsmentor@yahoo.com

The Predator
05-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi Bill.

I live in Sweden and thanks to internet I work for companies around the planet. I loved Sketch magazine in the beginning. Very good articles and tips helped me out a lot but then something happened. The priniting of Sketch wasn´t so good anymore and the articles not so many. I had to cancel my subscription here cause I have to chose what to buy. I think the interview with an artist you have in an issue take to much space, almost half the magazine.
It´s a shame cause I really liked Sketch and hopefully your magazine will come up to the standard it had in the beginning, if it does I will start to buy it again.
Al the best
The Predator

innocentboy
05-25-2006, 01:23 AM
as big fan of Sketch, used to get issues frequently, but just haven't seen issues in my LCS for a long time. thought Sketch was discontinued, but i guess it isn't now.

glad i found this thread, ussually just chill in the 'creator's community' main section of these forums

thanks for Sketch, have learned a lot from them, and have been reminded of a lot of lessons from them

BillNichols
05-25-2006, 04:04 AM
My personal goal as editor is to cram as MUCH in an issue as I possibly can, covering as many things, projects, creators as I can. In Sketch #29, the lastest issue, I covered in my "editorial" some of the plans I have for the magazine and things I'm already working on. I hope we get you back as a reader!

BillNichols
05-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Innocentboy: You can always step over to the Blue Line message board that was set up just last month. Between that and Digital Webbing, I plan to stay busy responding, replying and who knows, maybe posting as well!

BillNichols
06-06-2006, 06:31 AM
This is fairly cool (to me, anyway). Sketch Magazine is in About.com's top 5 art magazines...check it out...

http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/materials/tp/tpartmags.htm

DungeonMasterJm
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Hello Bill,

I like Sketch magazine a lot overall. An article or two I'd like to see that I can't recall seeing in Sketch would be some stuff on the digital end of comics. Stuff like laying out a comic in Quark Express, recommendations on file types to use when saving and stuff like that. Digital Prepress stuff.

Maybe a look into getting advertisers for independent books and printers here and abroad.

And maybe some articles on getting books distributed in ways other than just using Previews. And some stuff on oversea sales.

Not sure if these would get away from what Sketch is really focused on but that's some stuff I'd like to see.

Thanks!

DM Jim

Calloway
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Bill, you've come to a mountain of material for a new section in the mag. Up and coming artists. We got them coming out the gills here. It'd be cool to interview guys such as Andie Tong or guys just on the verge but not quite there yet. It's nice to know what the pros are doing but to actually document the start is even cooler.

BillNichols
06-07-2006, 06:24 AM
In the next issue (#30) of Sketch, artist Robin Ator has an article about digital storyboarding. I'm looking into the digital aspect of it and that's a quesion and topic of discussion on the Blue Line Pro message boards.

Advertisers-One of the reasons there's always an art catalogue in the middle of Sketch is to have to worry so much about running after the advertising $. Bob has enough going on getting the magazine on the shelves that the catalogue helps the magazine and the vice versa. That isn't to say that he wouldn't accept advertisers, but the options of companies for spending the advert dollar are pretty unlimited. But it's a good idea...

Good points.

BillNichols
06-07-2006, 06:26 AM
I know that there's a ton of talent out here, so I hope to plumb the depths and get some of it into Sketch Magazine if I can help it! Any help on that front would be appreciated!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I am a big fan of your magazine, I came acoss it by accident online a year or so ago. I am a Quebec resident, (in a small town to boot) so getting any English literature can sometimes be a challenge. In a city like Montreal I think it's easier. Anyway, I really, really like the how-to's (was my intro to Mitch Byrd - I think he's great). It can be a bit expensive with the exchange rate, though. Any breaks for us beavers? Will you have more interviews with girl artists? I am one, and feel challenged - not by the girl factor, but by the lack of local conventions factor - it seems to have a large impact in helping, from what I read around here. I've been illustrating for over 15 years, but am relatively new to the comics industry and try to soak up what I can in relation to breaking in. But to the main point - you've got a great magazine happening!

BillNichols
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
One of the female artists that will be doing something as soon as her schedule allows will be Jan Duursema, who's doing the Star Wars: Legacy mini-series for Dark Horse Comics.

I've left the door open for others, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them along. I'm still looking!

Calloway
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Do a feature on Cat from here. She's done star wars cards and a ton of other cool star wars stuff among other things (such as lord of the rings...). I'd love to see her get a bit more attention, she has awesome skills.

BillNichols
06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
LilGreenMan-
I'm all for it. Pass along the info if you would...

jedipencil-I just found out that Bob Hickey at Afterburn Media has gotten a female artist named Renae (sp?) for his book Blood and Roses. She's going to be contributing in the future to Sketch Magazine as well with some How To's, etc...

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
That's great! I am going to look for that...!

BillNichols
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
You've been on the Blue Line Pro/Afterburn Media message boards, so I'll announce it there, too!

Renae De Liz
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
LilGreenMan-

jedipencil-I just found out that Bob Hickey at Afterburn Media has gotten a female artist named Renae (sp?) for his book Blood and Roses. She's going to be contributing in the future to Sketch Magazine as well with some How To's, etc...

Yup! And I'm really looking forward to it! :har:

And yes the spelling's right ;)

There's bucketloads of talent on DigtalWebbing, Bill, you came to the right place!

BillNichols
06-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the book!

Yeah, I already have some DW contributors doing things for Sketch, as well as a penciljack member or two and a Ten Ton Studio member or three...I may actually be ahead at this point...

mistermaxx
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
In the next issue (#30) of Sketch, artist Robin Ator has an article about digital storyboarding. I'm looking into the digital aspect of it and that's a quesion and topic of discussion on the Blue Line Pro message boards.

Bill,

To your knowledge, are there many artists using 3D and/or non-photorealistic rendering software to create sequential art?

I'm doing a backup story for Alias Entertainment's "TwinBlades" (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90126&page=1) and using e-Frontier's Poser 6 to create digital "sets" and Informatix Software's Piranesi 3D painting tool to produce non-photorealistic renderings for reference and backgrounds.

BillNichols
06-27-2006, 02:22 PM
That's a good question for Robin (Ator), who frequents the Blue Line Pro message board as "rota". He loves talking about that and he's waaay more qualified than me to discuss it...

Flairbrusher
07-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Hello Bill,

I like Sketch magazine a lot overall. An article or two I'd like to see that I can't recall seeing in Sketch would be some stuff on the digital end of comics. Stuff like laying out a comic in Quark Express, recommendations on file types to use when saving and stuff like that. Digital Prepress stuff.

Maybe a look into getting advertisers for independent books and printers here and abroad.

And maybe some articles on getting books distributed in ways other than just using Previews. And some stuff on oversea sales.

Not sure if these would get away from what Sketch is really focused on but that's some stuff I'd like to see.

Thanks!

DM Jim

Hey, DungeonMaster,
I just wanted to to give you a recommendation if you need reference for Quark compositing, etc., DIGITAL PREPRESS FOR COMIC BOOKS by Kevin Tinsley.
It is available at Amazon.com at a considerable discount off of the cover price.DIGITAL PREPRESS FOR COMIC BOOKS (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967542308/sr=8-1/qid=1152235588/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0322705-3274540?ie=UTF8)
I've found this book to be extremely helpful in understanding the overall process.
-Anthony
http://www.anthonyhochrein.com
http://www.cafepress.com/ahochrein

DungeonMasterJm
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Thank you Flairbrush for the heads up.

Digital Pre-Press is a great book. Mine's falling apart here and there in certain chapters. But I'm always keeping an eye out for updated material on the subject.

Thanks again!

DM Jim

BillNichols
07-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey, thanks for the tip! I'll try to pass it along!

BillNichols
07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
It looks as though the featured artist in the ProFolio section of ]Sketch Magazine [/I] #31 will be...Jan Duursema!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Yipppeeeee!! When can I get my copy?

BillNichols
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
It'll be a little while, jedipencil. Issue #30 is at the printers now, but I have a great big part of #31 already ready to go, including the interview and art of X-Men artist Billy Tan.

Another interview somewhere in our future is Coleen Doran. You like?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-26-2006, 06:59 PM
It'll be a little while, jedipencil. Issue #30 is at the printers now, but I have a great big part of #31 already ready to go, including the interview and art of X-Men artist Billy Tan.

Another interview somewhere in our future is Coleen Doran. You like?

Uummmm - I have to shamefully say that I do not know who she is. I hang my head in dreadful shame. But I'd love to read about her, for sure!! :)

BillNichols
07-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Here's a link; see how you like her work:http://www.colleendoran.com/

DungeonMasterJm
07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Jan Duursema was in an earlier issue of Sketch. Is this new issue reprinting the earlier issue or is this new material on Jan Duursema?

Thanks.

DM Jim

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's a link; see how you like her work:http://www.colleendoran.com/

Wow, she has great work! And the Zodiak books look really interesting... I wish we could buy stuff like that locally up here...

BillNichols
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
These are sketches of Jan's, including some from the Star Wars stuff she's done for Dark Horse. It's new!

DungeonMasterJm
07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Sweet!

Thanks for the info.

DM Jim

BillNichols
07-31-2006, 05:51 AM
You're welcome! I hope to keep finding stuff that folks like...

spider
08-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Bill,
Love the magazine, regardless of how rare and expensive it is here (partly the exchange rate, mainly the retailer).
Anyway, I was wondering if you've ever highlighted the UK scene in the mag, or plan to. :)

BillNichols
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Actually, we will be adding a couple of UK contributors in the months ahead, as a matter of fact. I'm open for more suggestions and contacts, so if you know anybody...

So, what IS the exchange rate for you? (How bad is it. in other words..?)

Sketch #30 is still being printed and #31 and #32 are almost in the drawer as far as I'm concerned. Some good stuff coming up!

Thanks!

spider
08-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Sure thing, I think above anyone else, smallzone.co.uk deserves more recognition than it has been getting since a lot of people take it for granted.
They will accept any self-published book however bad it is, and push it
like diamonds.

The book Brodies law at www.brodieslaw.com has been getting some rave reviews which is good news, since as far as I know it's parent company Pulp theatre is a T.V and media company, I assume they saw potential in the comics market.

Or you could talk about my site when it really gets going. :har:

As for the exchange rate, $10 in the US averages at about £5 here,
so wheras the average copy of wizard is around $3.95 (I think?) in the U.S,
there are places here that will charge around £5 or £6,
but should be reduced to £1.95.
In the area I live we only have borders and a small comic shop
afraid to stock much of anything, so I would think I'm probably
lucky to be paying £6 for Sketch.

BillNichols
08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Up here in Quebec that would be - with the taxes - way over $5.00 a copy, without the mail service....but the magazine is well worth it.

BillNichols
08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm glad you think so and I hope to keep the magazine at that level where it's waited for and worth the wait!

BillNichols
09-07-2006, 05:04 AM
Sketch #30 should be out in the shops this week or next and I'm working on adding a few new features and contributors. Any feedback on subjects to cover or creators to spotlight? Post 'em and we'll see!

Jorelson
09-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Sketch #30 should be out in the shops this week or next and I'm working on adding a few new features and contributors. Any feedback on subjects to cover or creators to spotlight? Post 'em and we'll see!

First of all, I love your magazine!

Second, I have an idea that I think would help new artists. What about a feature that shows the artwork of a current "hot" artist over the years? For example, next month's artist would be, say, Jim Lee. Ask Jim for artwork from the following periods of his life (not just his career): current, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago, etc.

This way, new artists can see how a professional grew as an artist. I think this would give aspiring talent motivation to continue working when their attempts don't currently look like professional work. I know I would love to see how some of these guys first attempts were.

Just a thought!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
First of all, I love your magazine!

Second, I have an idea that I think would help new artists. What about a feature that shows the artwork of a current "hot" artist over the years? For example, next month's artist would be, say, Jim Lee. Ask Jim for artwork from the following periods of his life (not just his career): current, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago, etc.

This way, new artists can see how a professional grew as an artist. I think this would give aspiring talent motivation to continue working when their attempts don't currently look like professional work. I know I would love to see how some of these guys first attempts were.

Just a thought!

Just a great idea. I second the motion!

BillNichols
09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
That's a good idea and, actually, one that I've been working on. The problem I'm finding getting an artist to share their old stuff is: it's old stuff. Sometimes, that means it's embarassing to them now or it might be boxed up somewhere and too hard to find these days...

BillNichols
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
On its way out. Subscription copies should've started hitting mailboxes by now, I think. Now, I'm working on interviews and articles for the next couple of issues, so it'll be good to be busy!

And now we're cooking up a Sketch Magazine Art Contest!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Well I don't have mine yet! :man: :laugh:

j giar
09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Well I don't have mine yet! :man: :laugh:
It came to my house! I'll forward it as soon as I'm done readin'.

BillNichols
09-22-2006, 04:52 AM
I don't have mine, either. I don't rate the first batch of mailings, I guess. It would be faster if I drove the two hours to fetch it myself! Oh, well, it gives me something to look forward to, huh? Just like everyone else!

BillNichols
09-22-2006, 04:54 AM
jedipencil,

We're working on doing an interview with Colleen Doran for sometime next year, since you're interested in female artists. I e-mailed her yesterday and we just have to set it all up! I'll keep you posted!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Fabulous! Ha... Us girls will take over the world yet.....but properly, with a "go to your room and stay there if you can't be nice" policy!! :laugh:

Scaleyinx
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
....go to your room and stay there if you can't be nice" policy!! :laugh:

:laugh:
Somebody needs to get out more with adults so they can have a real conversation with someone older than 12.

Mommy talk syndrome,..............nope, can't I've ever suffered from that... :whistlin:

Cat
09-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Do a feature on Cat from here. She's done star wars cards and a ton of other cool star wars stuff among other things (such as lord of the rings...). I'd love to see her get a bit more attention, she has awesome skills.
Thanks LGM...sorry it took so long to repond to this

LilGreenMan-

Right here Bill :har:

BillNichols
09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
I just wrote you. So, you'll be hearing from me.

Jay Carvajal
09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey Bill,

Been a fan since issue #1--oh so long ago. You've even answered a few tech questions I had persoanlly through email which I thought was very cool. That said, I always devour the tech articles of your magazine and I'd like to see maybe a page or two each issue devoted to a simplified "dummies" guide to doing something like using indesign, quark, coloring, lettering, etc. Something us dummies can use to go step by step in doing the tech part of the process of putting together a comic book, written so even someone who has never used a certain program can follow the exact tech steps to letter a comic, get it print ready, etc.

BillNichols
09-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Starting with the issue that's on its way #30, inker Bob Almond will be contributing a regular column that starts to address that idea.

Also, artist Robin Ator has done a piece on digital storyboarding.

If you think of somebody else who fits that bill of How To Mentor, feel free to let me hear it. I'm always interested in finding more talented folks top share their knowledge!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Finally got my issue yesterday, and I just wanted to say that I really liked your intro article, Bill. Taking things for granted...my family has lost a number of people over the past couple of years to disease, so I agree with that immensely. And, in particular, your mentioning of how you wouldn't be where you are now if you hadn't had the experiences (for better or worse) of your past. That's pretty much my philosophy as well! The Beau Smith article is very interesting - his approach to working.... but my favorite line: "If you ever find yourself satisfied with your work and think you're as good as you're gonna get, then you are done....finished. They might as well stick a fork the size of a Buick in you and say the picnic is over." :laugh: :laugh:

BillNichols
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the good comments. I haven't seen the issue yet (maybe later today).

Beau's good guy and a good friend. I'm glad I got to do his interview.

BillNichols
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
In upcoming issues, we have an article on Web Comics vs. Print Comics by Scott Story, a piece on character illustration by Jason Baroody, more on illustration possibly by Robin Ator, all kinds of stuff. But keep in mind, I'll still be looking for stuff, so if you know of somebody who has something to share, LMK!

xombey
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
hey, i love sketch and draw! (i know you're competitors, but there's only the 2 of you and both come out so infrequently) (i buy both by the way)

and you seem to serve different types. i see draw! catering to older guys, while you guys seem suited for the younger crowd, who are into today's comic stars(?) and styles.

anway 2 things i'd like to address:

1 the glut of how-to books out there. it seems like we're an audience of, maybe 75% wannabe pros. could you imagine if 75% of movie-goers were aspiring acors?

and a lot of people use that to make money. don't get me wrong, i 'll buy a book that gives me good insight and clues to getting it right, but am i the only 1 wh feels there's too much how-to's out there?

2 one of the things i'm most concerned about is the state of the market how many people are acually reading the comics that some guy slaved over? is it worth it? i tried to get a dia log going with an indy artist about an up-coming how-to book (that i'll probably buy) and the classes she taught. i tried to find out how much (% wise) she actually made from comics vs teaching, etc...

she told me that artists shouldn't be concerned w/making money (basically)

but we sell the books...

all this to say a regular commentary on the state of the industry (including web comics) would be great

BillNichols
10-11-2006, 09:32 AM
You make a good point. I would like Sketch Magazine to make it out on a regular bi-monthly schedule that would support a running commentary. Who knows? There may another venue in the offing that serves that purpose...working on it, anyway...

Audience-My take on the audience that I'm shooting for all ages, from the younger to the older. Some of the creators who are working on articles for the magazine are some who were my faves way back when. So, it'll be a mix of the old and new.

How To books-So, are there too many, too varied, too specific? It seems that there are several people out there with information to share and I guess a book gives them a format to do that. I hope that Sketch Magazine is another.

Keep writing with your comments. I appreciate it!

BillNichols
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh, and now we have this art contest going on, so we'll probably see some "new faces" and get some more interest and input about Sketch and what goes into it maybe...

BillNichols
10-20-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm starting to see some spark with some good stuff! I'm liking it!

BillNichols
11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
The winner was Joshm. For a look at the entries, just go to the message board link from Blue Line Pro/Sketch Magazine (http://www.bluelinepro.com)

BillNichols
01-13-2007, 12:42 PM
We've got the new board up and running!
Blue Line Pro message board (http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi)

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
01-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I was wondering why I couldn't log on.... :)

BillNichols
01-13-2007, 01:39 PM
So, now you know! Check it out!

BillNichols
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes, it's true. I'm everywhere...or trying to be...

Keep doing comics!

BillNichols
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Blue Line Art Contest 2!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the second Blue Line Art Contest. And we're going to have more, possibly every month, so sharpen your pencils, clean your brushes, and hang on!

Rules: Create a piece of art and post it at the Blue Line Pro message board startig February 14th.

Subject: Remember the pin-up girls of the 40's and 50's? Betty Grable? bettie Page? The Vargas Girl?This is your chance to do them justice. In your style.

Winner: Will be determined by our team of judges and the top choice(s) will be featured in Sketch Magazine!

Medium: Any, but be mindful that it will be printed in black and white, but some grayscale is possible.

Content: No nudes, hear?

Deadline: You'll be able to start posting your illos February 14th and the posting time will last until the 17th. Then the judging will begin.

So, you have two weeks, folks. Get drawing!

Log on at: Blue Line Art Message Board

BillNichols
02-13-2007, 02:42 PM
The next Art Contest posting starts at 12:01am February 14th and runs until 11:59pm February 17th. If you're interested in entering, just head over to the message board at http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi or just look the entries over as they come in. It should be fun!

BillNichols
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
It's out in the shops now! Yay!

BillNichols
02-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Today (the 17th) is the deadline. Check it out (and post your illo)!
Blue Line Art/Sketch Magazine Message Board (http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi)

BillNichols
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
There have been a couple of hiccups in accessing the Board and the posting, sooooo we're extending the contest another week! So, you now have until midnight Sunday, Feb. 25th. We've had several entries and hopefully we'll have a bunch more! Get to posting! (and looking...)

BillNichols
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
The main interview is with X-Men artist Billy Tan. He sent me some cool sketches to include with the interview, too.

We have our regular columns by inker Bob Almond and Tom Bierbaum. Also, one on illustration by the ever-talented Mitch Byrd.

Contributors this issue include: Rafael Kayanan (!) (illustrating Lords of the Rings sketch cards), John Lowe (lettering), Scott Story (Web Comics) and David Rivera (Photshop Blueline illustration).

The ProFolio features some Star Wars art by Jan Duursema!.

BillNichols
03-03-2007, 02:31 PM
The new art contest has been posted on the Blue Line Art message board. Check it out and get drawing!

Flairbrusher
03-19-2007, 12:45 AM
The new art contest has been posted on the Blue Line Art message board. Check it out and get drawing!
(Thick Scottish burr) Aye, Cap'n, Ah'm worrkin' on it!

BillNichols
03-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Good! Get to it, matey!

BillNichols
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
May 5 is Free Comic Book Day. If things work out, I'll be at Bob Hickey's store, Comics 2 Cars http://www.comics2cars.com/ in Florence, Kentucky along with Beau Smith and Joe Corroney and who knows who else! Where are you gonna be?

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/ is the website with a store locator.

FAQ's from the FCBD website:

1. What is "Free Comic Book Day?"

As the name implies, Free Comic Book Day is a single day when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world are giving away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes into their stores.

2. When is Free Comic Book Day?

Free Comic Book Day will take place on May 5, 2007.

3. Are they really free?

Yep!

4. Is every comic book store in the world doing this?

If you're asking about convenience stores with a spinner rack of comics in a corner somewhere, the answer is no. This event celebrates the independent comic book specialty stores, thousands of which exist in North America alone. Each one is unique in its community, with a style and personality all its own, and each one carries a full line of comics, graphic novels, and related products.

While we hope every one of these stores will take part, each store will determine on its own whether or not to participate.

5. Then how do I know where to go to get my free comics?

As May 5 approaches, www.FreeComicBookDay.com will launch a customized database that will show you participating stores in your area. Sign up for our e-mail newsletter to be alerted when the database is ready, or check back in early April.

6. Is this the first Free Comic Book Day?

Answer: No! This is the sixth time we've held Free Comic Book Day. In the past, thousands of stores around the world have given away millions of free comic books to interested readers. Check out our past successes!

7. Can I link to your site?

Of course! Click here.

8. Who's involved?

Overall participation from just about every major comic book publisher has been amazing, from the biggest publishers to independent publishers, fansites, news magazines, and more.

9. What's the big deal about comic books anyway?

Comic books are an original American art form, created in the early days of the twentieth century. They are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse storylines that capture the imagination of the readers, and have survived: the dominance of radio, the ubiquity of television, the spread of color and sound motion pictures, the rise of videogames, and the Internet. That's worth celebrating in our book, and as this site continues to grow and evolve, you'll see even more information about this wonderful medium. To learn more about comic books and their history, go here.

10. Is this just happening in the U.S.?

Any comic book store in the world can participate in Free Comic Book Day, although there may be some limitations on which titles are available in which countries due to licensing and other considerations. If you want your local store to get involved, let them know!

11. How many comics do I get?

That will depend on a lot of factors: How many comics does the store have to give away? How many people visit that day? How many people got there before you? The answer to this question will depend on which store you go to and when.

12. Can you send me a comic?

No. This website is for informational purposes only – we do not have comics to give away. Free Comic Book Day is celebrated in comic book stores around the world. You will be able to find a participating comic book store on our website in April.

13. Which comics are available?

Click here for a list of comics.

14. Can I grab any comic I want?

Stores will be giving away special comics for the event – you cannot simply take any comic book from the rack. Click on “The Comics” to see the twenty eight different comics being given away for free.

15. How can I find out more?

To find out more about Free Comic Book Day, e-mail us. Also, be sure to sign up for our e-mail newsletter. It’s infrequent, so you won't be deluged with spam, but it'll have plenty of cool info for you.

16. What can I do to spread the word?

Visit our "Amazing Advocates" page to find out how you can help champion Free Comic Book Day

BillNichols
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Sketch Magazine: Lines to Guide By…

Sketch Magazine is the magazine about creating comics, not only about the how but the why. While it is important that our readers are entertained, it is just as important that they are educated through the examples set forth by other talented individuals who are willing to share of their knowledge and experiences.
The following document sets forth the basics of contributing to Sketch.

Within any given issue, I want as much crammed into its pages as I can rightfully get, therefore an article that demonstrates any function of the comic book creation process, be it writing, drawing, lettering or anything, should shoot for about 4-6 pages in length.
Armed with the information we help provide, our readers should be ready to try new or different techniques, learn something about the other aspects of the process and as I continue to say, be educated while being entertained. Too much information isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Some have to decide for themselves what works best.
I truly wish that my friends and I had had access to a magazine like Sketch way- back-when we were trying things out. That’s the attitude I try to take when I look when doing this magazine! Are we helping anybody? I like to think so, and many of our readers seem to like what we are doing for the most part.
We do a regular stable of talented contributors that include or have included: Robert Wayne Hickey, Tom Bierbaum, Bob Almond, Beau Smith, Mitch Byrd and others. However, we will continue to look at other contributions to supplement the variety and depth each issue covers.

Material:
Any part of the process that creates a comic book is fair game, and that is not limited to printed medium! Way too many really good comics are being done as webcomics, but the arena is open for comic books, small press comics and comic strips.
Writing, penciling, inking, coloring, lettering, editing and publishing are all viable subjects to explore in an article.

Artwork
We like lots of artwork! Words are important, but the art catches the eye and illustrates by example.
The image size should be: 300dpi.

The Text
Text should, for editing purposes mostly, be in Times New Roman with a 12 pt. font. Whatever size or font I get an article in, I will usually change it to that.

Special Features
I stated in the magazine that I’d like to spice thing up a bit by offering a few special features, some have already been implemented, others may be in the future, such as:
· ProFolio: This is where we get to see the art of various pros willing to share their sketchbooks or selections of their artwork. So far we been blessed with samples from artists Andy Smith, Gary Barker, Jan Duursema and Rafael Kayanan with others to come.
· Words of Wisdom: This is where the pros can pass along a tip or two, from materials used to techniques. We have been fortunate to add Bob Almond as a regular contributor willing to share his knowledge.
· Alternate Avenues: Comics are by now means a dead end, but can lead to other projects and other outlets. Projects like the children’s books of pros Mark McKenna and Bob McLeod are prime examples. Where can comics lead? Children’s books? Game design? Sketch cards? The list can go on and on…
· Studio Portraits: What does an artist’s studio look like? What is it about that space that leads to a working environment? Comics and art on the walls? A bust of a superhero staring at you from a bookshelf surrounded by action figures? What about a writer? Is there a mood or a motif that inspires? Maybe you’ll get in the mood to redecorate about seeing where somebody like inker Tim Townsend works…
· PreFab Collabs: Have you ever wondered how different inkers would work over the same sample of a page or an illustration? How does each treat the page? How are they the same and how are they different? I’d like to see, too…
· Training Grounds: Sometimes, when you’re trying to become a better writer or artist, it can be difficult without some sort of outlet where you can get feedback and reactions about your work. So, in order to help, I’d like to offer some suggestions and helpful hints where you might “spread your wings” a little maybe make an acquaintance to two…
· Venues: Place to get your work seen and get crits and feedback, like APA’s (Amateur Press Associations) or places online like the message boards of Digital Webbing, Penciljack, Ten Ton Studios or our own Afterburn Media, or the comics community of ComicSpace.
· Webcomics: There are a lot of webcomics out there, done by some really creative folks!
· Small Press Comics: Having done some small press of my own years ago, I know that I learned a few things about the whole process of comics-making. I got to get of my own work down on paper and learned something about what it’s like to collaborate on a strip with other creators.
· Submission guidelines: Some companies continue to take submissions while others don’t have a need. I’d like to offer a clearinghouse of that information so that you know what you need and where to send it.

Okay, that’s most of it for now. It’ll give you an idea about what I’d like to see headed our way at Sketch Magazine. So, if you’re interested, you have an idea of where to start. There are other takes on the subject matter to be sure, so feel limited to just what I’ve outlined above.

Looking forward to seeing stuff:
Bill Nichols
Editor, Sketch Magazine
www.bluelinepro.com
info@bluelinepro.com

BillNichols
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
This is the fourth Blue Line Art Contest. And we're going to have more, possibly every month, so sharpen your pencils, clean your brushes, and hang on!

Rules: Create a piece of art and post it at the Blue Line Pro message board starting April 19.

Subject: Whatever part of the scene you want to illustrate. Characters. Poses. The kids. The alleys and the dumpsters. Any of it. You get the idea.

Winner: Will be determined by our team of judges and the top choice(s) will be featured in Sketch Magazine!

Medium: Any, but be mindful that it will be printed in black and white, but some grayscale is possible.

Deadline: You'll be able to start posting your illos April 19th and the posting time will last until Sunday the 22nd. Then the judging will begin.

Go to the Blue Line message board. It's the first topic header!
http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?

BillNichols
04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
#32 is on its way in a couple of weeks with the main interview being Joe Linsner, with contributions from regulars Tom Bierbaum, Bob Almond, Mitch Byrd, along with pieces from Gerry Alanguilan, Rich Molinelli, Scott Keating, Mike Gagnon, and others!

Plus look at the Steps from pencil to ink of Painkiller Jane by Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti.

And a ProFolio featuring art from Rafael Kayanan.

BillNichols
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Head on over to the Blue Line/Afterburn Media board and check 'em out!

http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?

BillNichols
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
The new contest has been posted on the Blue Line board. The winner(s) will be printed in Sketch Magazine. Check it out!

BillNichols
05-19-2007, 11:19 AM
New entries can be posted starting today for the newest contest! Winners will be published in Sketch Magazine

OriginalJAM
05-21-2007, 03:24 AM
SKETCH MAGAZINE!

I just wanted to add... I love the magazine it rocks, it is awsome.. honest. If you all can find it, buy it! Lots of reference and tips including BlueLinePros ART Supplies(no, I don't work for them! :) )

JAM,................
www.geocities.com/jam_wg
http://jamsforum.informe.com

BillNichols
05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, you'd almost think I paid you to say that (of course, I didn't for the naysayers out there). What great words and I really appreciate them! I hope the next issues continue to rock! (they will)

BillNichols
06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Sketch Magazine now has a MySpace page now, with a big design thanks to Greg Harms. Check it out sometime (and Add)! Comments? Suggestions? Let's hear 'em!

http://www.myspace.com/sketchmagazine

BillNichols
06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
The latest contest has been announced. Check the board out for details and such! And hey, just check the board out! Winner(s) will be published in Sketch Magazine.

http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi

BillNichols
06-30-2007, 02:34 PM
The winners of the latest Blue Line Art contest have been announced! Check 'em out! The winners will be featured in Sketch Magazine!

The link is: http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi

Bill Nichols
editor, Sketch Magazine
www.bluelinepro.com

BillNichols
08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm thinking about doing shows and such again. Any lead out there would be appreciated!
Bill

BillNichols
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
The entries have been posted! Comments? Crits? Check 'em out!

This month's contest revolved around a sort of old-fashioned detective story, with a guy, a gal and flying bullets.

Do you feel as though you missed out out? There's a new contest every month and the winner is published in the pages of Sketch Magazine! So, check it out and get active!

Link:

http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=353;

vector
09-07-2007, 10:04 PM
It was a great story Bill, I had fun working on it.

SteveThe entries have been posted! Comments? Crits? Check 'em out!

This month's contest revolved around a sort of old-fashioned detective story, with a guy, a gal and flying bullets.

Do you feel as though you missed out out? There's a new contest every month and the winner is published in the pages of Sketch Magazine! So, check it out and get active!

Link:

http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=353;

BillNichols
09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
You did a great job of illustrating it, Steve! Keep it up!

BillNichols
09-08-2007, 01:13 PM
This is an elemental-powered theme story segment to illustrate, so check it out! As with last month's contest, I'll try to get critiques from our judges. With Hammered, the detective story, we got some great input from Francesco and Micahel Netzer! Always a plus...

http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=452;st=0;&#entry5160

BillNichols
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
The latest issue of Sketch Magazine is available now!

The main interview thisish is X-23 artist Mike Choi, and there are articles from Bob Almond, Gary Barker, Rudy Garcia, Jason Baroody, Tom Bierbaum, and a ProFolio look at the art of Renae De Liz and other stuff about creating comics.

You can go to: http://www.bluelinepro.com and get your copy!

BillNichols
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
The new contest is ready!

Here's the link:
http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=593&st=&&#entry6473

BillNichols
11-11-2007, 08:04 PM
It's a western!
And here's the link!
http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=734;r=1

The winner will be printed in Sketch Magazine.

BillNichols
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Blue Line is sponsoring a Sketch Card Gallery Exhibit
on March 8, 2008 at Comics2Games in Florence,
Kentucky. This show is open to all artists. Blue Line
will send sketch cards for the artist to do their
illustrations and Comics2Games will set up the display
for the event. The Exhibit will be up all day with a
get-together with some of the artists from 5 to 8pm
that evening. Then, after the show, the cards will be
auctioned on eBay with the proceeds donated to the
American Cancer Society.

Cancer has touched the lives and families of so many
artists and writers, faced with fighting this terrible
disease. So, consider taking the time to illustrate a
few cards for a good cause. Blue Line is supplying the
sketch cards for the show and will mail blank cards to
artists upon request to illustrate for this event.

The cards can feature most any characters (including
your own).

For more information to contact Comics2Games at (859)
647-7568 you can contact Jeremy Bell at
jeremyb@comics2cars.com on how you or an artist you
know can participate in the event for this worthy
cause!

Pass the word along to all the message boards, groups,
bulletin boards and other outlets you know. Help the
fight against cancer and participate in this sketch
card event!

I'm personally going to be doing some cards myself as
well as ink some cards here and there, so if you want
to pencil one or two for me to ink, just let me know!

Bill

Bill Nichols
Editor, Sketch Magazine
www.bluelinepro.com

Calloway
01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey Bill, just an idea.

A D.I.Y. section in sketch....

It's an artists magazine right? So why not an article every issue describing how to build your own light box or draft table or electric eraser? For the artist on a budget and with a lot of creativity to use.

j giar
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Great idea and a great cause. I lost my dad to cancer 2 years ago. Felt good to finally feel like I did something about it. Cards on the way! Thanks for the opportunity Bill. Jim

raya
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey Bill, just an idea.

A D.I.Y. section in sketch....

It's an artists magazine right? So why not an article every issue describing how to build your own light box or draft table or electric eraser? For the artist on a budget and with a lot of creativity to use.

That's a cool idea, but I already posted this for an eraser if you need it:

http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1349480

It actually didn't cost me anything since I already had the eraser and screwdriver.

Calloway
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Actually, that and someones post about a light box made me think to suggest the idea for a article series in sketch (and collected would make a handy dandy book to have on the shelf)

BillNichols
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I would love to see any of these practical ideas for artists (as well as writers, colorists, inkers, etc.) turned into articles for the magazine! If you know of any or have any, let me know!

I'm trying to cram as much cool stuff in there as I can! I wish it was monthly...

BillNichols
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Jim,
Thank you for joining in!
Bill

Great idea and a great cause. I lost my dad to cancer 2 years ago. Felt good to finally feel like I did something about it. Cards on the way! Thanks for the opportunity Bill. Jim

BillNichols
01-14-2008, 06:20 AM
The new challenge is up! The winner gets to choose the subject of the next contest challenge! Draw any two Star Trek characters and ink them. No pencils or colored submissions/entries this time.

The postings will be from Jan. 20th to the 25th and them the voting will begin and run from the 26th to the 29th!

Here's the link:http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=31;t=885

Get to drawing!

BillNichols
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
The main interview is with the Dude, Steve Rude! Plus, there are: our regular columns from Tom Bierbaum and Bob Almond, an article on collaboration from Gary Barker and myself about my book URSULA, an article on starting a pitch from Jason Baroody and Steve Willhite, plus other stuff!

http://www.bluelinepro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BL&Product_Code=SK1034&Category_Code=001sk

BillNichols
02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Sketch Magazine #34, Beau Smith's No Guts, No Glory, et al
Here's the link to the Blue Line listing for the latest issue of Sketch Magazine!http://www.bluelinepro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=BL

This issue of Sketch includes a great interview of Steve Rude, Artist and Publisher also informational articles by Tom Bierbaum, Mitch Byrd, Gary Barker, Scott Story, Jason Baroody and Bob Almond. Sketch offers a variety of services for creators, Classified Section for promotions or look for talent, New Books, Tools, Etcetera is a great place to promote a How To... book , new Art Supply, write a letter to the Letters Forum to get advice or art tips.

Not only is it good enough to create comics you have to market yourself to the readers. This book touches on many subjects that involves working in the field of comic books.
Beau Smith a 20 year veteran of comic book marketing and writing comics. He has written comics, pop culture & business columns, video games, novels and screenplays. In No Guts, No Glory he reveals to you how to become all you can be as a comic book creator and business person. Lessons from the dirty trenches on how to make not only your project known, but you as well!

The main interview is with the Dude, Steve Rude! Plus, there are: our regular columns from Tom Bierbaum and Bob Almond, an article on collaboration from Gary Barker and myself about my book URSULA, an article on starting a pitch from Jason Baroody and Steve Willhite, plus other stuff!

http://www.bluelinepro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BL&Product_Code=SK1034&Category_Code=001sk

BillNichols
02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
The next magazine art contest has been announced and it's about designing a character! It features Willow, one of my Sparta Bay projects!

The next contest will be sequentials using the character design as a reference, etc.

Here's the link: http://bloodandroses.com/cgi-bin/iB_cgi/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=960;st=0;r=1;&#entry9969

BillNichols
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
We're up and running!

Check it out at: http://www.sketchmagazine.net/

Bill

Calloway
03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Bill, any site exclusive articles or reprinting older articles from sketch on the site?

BillNichols
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
We're looking at doing both!

BillNichols
05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Because of spammers and porn crap, we've changed things!! Plus, there's tech support!

www.bloodandroses.com/forums is our new board.

There will undoubtedly be some tweaking as I get used to this new format and admin menu...if there are problems, let me or Bob Hickey know, okay? We'll see what we can do...

As for current members, you should be able to log in with your regular username and password from the Afterburn Media board.

Take it for a testdrive!

BillNichols
05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
From my Sparta Bay concept list:
Reckless: He’s the The Man Who Can’t Be Hurt who plunges headlong into danger finds himself in trouble with just about...everyone. The man who loves corndogs.

Since there was such a great turnout for the Willow contest, I'm continuing in that vein by using Reckless.

He is: invulnerable, a jokester, a little wild. Wears little round sunglasses as well as aviator goggles. He is smarter than he lets on, but covers it all with a layer of bravado. Adn recklessness. He sometimes forgets that while he can't be hurt, others can...and have, hence the name.

This is a starter for the topic and I'll add some more, as well, as a page or two of the script so that you can get a better sense of the personality of the guy.

The winning entry will be posted in Sketch Magazine.

The dates for posting are: June 16-18. Then the judges will have their say and the winning design will be the basis for the sequential phase again.

You like? Hope so.

Here's the link:
http://bloodandroses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=10978#p10978

Tayman227
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
do these have to be inked?
Im just asking because I havent learned how to ink yet.

BillNichols
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
No, they don't have to be inked.

Just go to the Contest header on http://www.bloodandroses.com/forums and check it out.

Good luck.

BillNichols
07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I know that there are LOADS of tutorials on various artists’ websites that I will just never see because there are so many…so I need some more eyes out there, alerting me to all the cool stuff out where the readers and all of you can see it!

Drop me a line at: billn@sketchmagazine.net

And that goes for stuff that’s just plain cool, too! A lot of creators, a lot of comics, a lot of ways of achieving artistic results in words and pictures are waiting to be seen! So, help me out, would you?

BillNichols
07-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I've just posted the new contest on the Art Unleashed message board: Blood and Roses sequentials, based on the B & R online comic.

Here's the link: http://bloodandroses.com/forums/ viewtopic. php?f=2&t= 1284&p=13077# p13077

Bill Nichols
Editor, Sketch Magazine

Check out my blog at Sketch Magazine Online! http://www.sketchmagazine.net
Co-publisher of SkyStorm Studios http://skystormonline.com
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billnichols

Calloway
08-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Happy Birthday BILL!!!!!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Happy belated Birthday Bill!!

BillNichols
08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank you so much! Love birthday wishes...even at my age :)

BillNichols
08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Share what you know!

What information and words of wisdom do you have to pass along to the next wave(s) of up-and-coming creators? I’d like to know! (And so would they!)

Okay, so you’re working on a comic, a piece of art, a script, something for comics. Document the process! We can turn that into an article for Sketch Magazine!

Have some ideas? Drop me a line at: billn@sketchmagazine.net

Raven
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Share what you know!

What information and words of wisdom do you have to pass along to the next wave(s) of up-and-coming creators? I’d like to know! (And so would they!)

Have some ideas? Drop me a line at: billn@sketchmagazine.net

Same thing they told me ten years ago; don't quit your day job.
:)

BillNichols
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
You can see all the entries for yourself as several of our artists on the message board took the script for the Blood and Roses online comic and did the next two pages from the point where the story left off. You can take a gander and view it as a guest ( OR you can register and get in on the fun yourself!).

http://bloodandroses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1339&p=13787#p13787

BillNichols
11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
If you are interested in contributing (again), just write Jeremy Bell at:
jeremyb@comics2games.com and he'll get you the info and the blank cards.

Cards can be in pencil, ink, color. It's all good!

As I offered last year, I'm willing to ink or more cards of the batch. Just let us know.

Bill

Bill Nichols
Editor, Sketch Magazine

Check out my blog at Sketch Magazine Online! http://www.sketchmagazine.net
Co-publisher of SkyStorm Studios http://skystormonline.com
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billnichols

BillNichols
11-17-2008, 12:09 PM
The main interview is Ryan Ottley!

Other contributors include: Mitch Byrd, Tom Bierbaum, Bob Almond, Joe Staton, Anthony Lee, Rebecca Thompson and others!

Go to www.bluelinepro.com and get a subscription!

BillNichols
12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
John Wilson did a Q & A with me and here's the link:
http://www.comicrelated.com/display.php?item=209

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Interesting interview.... :) APA-5.... had never heard of that. Liked your answer on the Final Thoughts question...

BillNichols
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Ingrid. Those are the things I really intend to keep doing as best I can, especially given my position as the editor of Sketch Magazine and my involvement with the Sketch Card Event and doing comics when I can.

sirusdesign
12-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Thank you for sharing useful information with you.Only sketches of before the explosion that I am aware of are those done by modern author and historian M. Korres. As for the explosion, I believe it was shared by those who were responsible for shelling it, as there was a rather exhaustive attempt at removing all the statues that they could salvage as battle trophies. Not positive as to if any conflicts in stories existed. Again, sorry. Hope it helped a little.

Graphic Design,Comic Book Publishers,Game Animation,Development, Magazines, Ezine publishers,Multimedia,Interactive Development, New Media (http://si-r-usdesign.com/)

BillNichols
03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
The new issue just came out!
Articles by:
Mitch Byrd,
Bob Almond,
Tom Bierbaum
and others!

www.bluelinepro.com

BillNichols
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Sketch Magazine #39 is out and aa mentioned above, Adam Hughes is the main interview! Plus, there are all the other bits of comics creating goodness from Tom Bierbaum, Micth Byrd, Bob Almond, George Calloway, Nate Lovett and more!

Sketch #40 will feature an interview with David Petersen of Mouse Guard!

Sketch #41 will have an interview with Alex Ross!

www.bluelinepro.com

Get a subscription! Don’t miss out! Check out the Club Blue membership. It’ll be worth it.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Sketch #40 will feature an interview with David Petersen of Mouse Guard!

www.bluelinepro.com

Get a subscription! Don’t miss out! Check out the Club Blue membership. It’ll be worth it.

And an itty-bitty tiny little piece written by me! :w00t:

ethanWright
04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
I got mine in the mail last week, and you guys rocked it! The Adam Hughes interview was great, and I'm officially a fan of Mitch Byrd forever. Looking forward to future issues!

BillNichols
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm glad to hear that, Ethan!

BillNichols
04-15-2009, 05:06 PM
And an itty-bitty tiny little piece written by me! :w00t:

Yeah, definitely check out the awesomeness that is Ingrid! Her artwork rocks!

BillNichols
04-24-2009, 03:15 PM
May 2 is Free Comic Book Day. We’re running a sale in our store located in Florence, KY. Stop by and take advantage of this special discount on all art supplies and meet a few fellow creators including:
Lora Innes (The Dreamer from IDW), Scott and Benita Story (Johnny Saturn), Eric Adams (Lackluster World), Brant Fowler (Wannabez), Scott Simmons (Wannabez), Darren Mueller (Ringtail Cafe), Krista Mueller (Ringtail Cafe), Jackie Hernandez (Ringtail Cafe), Bill Nichols (Sketch Magazine, SkyStorm, Studios), John Wilson (SketchMagazine.net, SkyStorm Studios, ComicRelated.com), Mike Maydak (1782 The Year of Blood, Blackbeard Legacy), SFX Makeup Demos by Paula and Chris Hendrix and Chuck Moore from COMICRELATED.COM.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Just wanted to say that I finally got the chance to read one of the back issues I'd gotten - the one with the interview with Neil Gaiman. That is one excellent interview. Very interesting to read his points of view on stuff - I liked his opinion on the time it took for him to write a Sandman issue, compared to what some people told him he should be doing.... and artists with perfection issues.....

I've liked all the interviews so far - very in depth with lots of opinions... :thumbs: - but the Neil Gaiman one really stood out for me.

BillNichols
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I like the interviews, although I don't like so much DOING them myself. Usually I start off with some basic questions, then go for some follow-ups...

hellblazer72
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
you should do an interview with paul grist