PDA

View Full Version : ideas that get written b4 u can

fluxchild
05-06-2006, 07:38 PM
How many times have you started on a script and b4 you can finish someone publishes a story that has enough of your idea in it that you can't finish it.

Hush and Batman Begins to name a few...what are yours?

Knuckles
05-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Hush and Batman Begins to name a few...what are yours?

Are you taking credit for thinking of these ideas before them where made?

fluxchild
05-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Are you taking credit for thinking of these ideas before them where made?

I wouldn't say that I'm taking credit for the story. I'm saying that I had an idea for a story that if Hush wasn't published I could have finished writing. Same with Batman begins. I'm not taking anything away from the stories, I'm just saying that I wish I could have sold them. They both kicked ass, and made alot of money. Why can't I get published when it's clear to me that I had an awesome idea.

bezelleo
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I wrote a Smallville script featuring the Flash while in my last semester at school, and then that next season, "Run" the Flash episode appeared with some very distinct similarities with my script. I had to go back and basically interrogate my television writing teacher and see if she showed anyone at the WB.

I'm still uncertain if my script is dead in the water or not. There's some ideas that are similiar, but a little more than half is different. I had a pretty cool subplot with Pete too, but that wasn't taken because Pete left at the end of that season I was writing in. So, unsure now as to what to do with it. :huh:

ccorniuk
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
See? And you all laugh at me for my aluminum foil hat!

Honestly, though, happens a lot...more than most of us would like. It's easy enough to get upset over, but also kind of helps fuel me, letting me know I'm headed down the right track. I can remember years back, I came up with an idea. I submitted a whole book to someone who had not yet made their venture into the comics arena, but still had a decent following in their chosen marketing. I never heard back. A little over two years later, some friends came running up to me as begged me to check out this new product. I did so. Terms I had deliberately researched, specific sentences word for word...it smacked of a little something more than supicious. I asked said company what was going on. They never replied. I was 16 at the time, had no clue even about the poor man's copyright let alone other ways to protect yourself. But, what was I going to do? I had no proof other than one helluva a .doc and they were an established company. Ah well, live and learn. I was really pissed at first. Then, after about a year of stewing I realized two things. First, I still really liked the company and for all I know it was an honest mistake or an errant intern run amok. Two, I was obviously headed in the right direction. I still purchase their products and enjoy them. And, I still submit every now and again, but generally get feedback telling me that they already have proposed work in progress with established talent. Having heard stories from others who have worked for the company and never seen a red cent as well as the same as myself, I stopped submitting about two years ago, and scratch my head and wonder. But, then there's times when people just have the same idea as someone else--the difference being who has the money and the contacts. 30 Days of Night? I had a game campaign that ran based off of that concept for some time. I just never thought to put it into comic book format. Or, my buddy who came to me and said he wanted to write a sci-fi western then went into a blind rage when Firefly came out. Oh, and I had this idea about 10 or so years ago about people in the future, being stuck in a computer, and gaining extraordinary abilities, because they realized the program could be re-written and they went on to triumph over the machines and save humanity....then, my buddy dragged me out to see The Matrix. The sadistic bastard. You should've seen the look on his face as he watched the look on mine. It's okay, I got him back when I scripted the next two movies over the next summer and was more than damn close when they finally came out. It happens. Keep chugging along. And, get yer tin foil helmets!

RichardB
05-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Sometime before the release of the latest film version of War of The Worlds I came up with what seemed like a good idea. A story with the premise that an invasion from Mars took place in 1901 exactly as it did in the Wells novel...but what happened to the world after that? The whole Twentieth Century becomes completely different: what happens to governments, politics, social progress, technology? Especially with the Martians staging new incursions when our planets reached their closest approach? The Terran space program develops along different lines (using magnetic rail guns rather than booster rockets to launch things into orbit) and we start fighting them in space before they can land their tripod-carrying transports. I had an alternate timeline of the past 100 years worked out...but the story itself would be set in the year 2001 with British Empire and Tsarist Russian soldiers on Mars -- "fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" -- while anarchists and social progressives struggled with repression on Earth.

Then I read about Boom Comics coming out with War of the Worlds: The Second Wave (http://www.newsarama.com/Boom/WoWorlds/WoWSecondWavePre.htm) and pop goes the whole appeal of doing a parallel world update of WOTW.

RTaylor
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Gen13 and Red, White and Black are rightfully mine! They were my ideas! I want credit for them! :bounce:

I developed a Gen13 type story several years before the series started. Not that it is an original idea by any means, but I agree with what that guy up there said, at least I knew I was on the right track.

kdmelrose
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Superman. I came up with that idea first.

Curse you, Siegel and Shuster!

:whistlin:

ryanscottottney
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I came up with the idea of Kevin Melrose, but he beat me to it. :man:

Buckyrig
05-08-2006, 11:18 PM
:thumbs: