PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get This Effect In Photoshop?

Mangapen
03-25-2006, 07:13 AM
I've tried several ways, including the typical Splatter/Median combination, but nothing gets the uniform splatter effect in the image below. (And none of the online tutorials I've tried can get this uniform effect, either... Splatter or Noise filters won't produce the clumped effect like the image below)

Someone help me! :-) This effect is used more and more in recent comics, and I want to use it in my own.

Thanks
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2319/how1lk.jpg

MadCow Menu
03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Hmmmm...
There is a feature in Photoshop where you can change your brushes and there are a couple of "splatter" brushes that can get that effect. You can also download more brushes as plug ins too if you don't have em.

skatay
03-27-2006, 01:21 PM
i would look at it as two different effects:

convert it to grayscale, look how you can recreate that pattern in different media brushes.

then, look at how to recreate the color effect.

not sure which one you're more interested in.

Calloway
03-27-2006, 03:42 PM
I did this by accident and experimenting a couple years ago. I can't quite remember but I believe I used a splatter brush and gaussian blur over that.

omega sentry
05-28-2006, 01:14 AM
uuhhh that's fun and easy the way I would do it is place one color first get the light effects put in place then change the hue copy that and then go back to the original color then paste the hue changed color over it. Erase the over laping color with your bursh tools. Do that over and over till you get the look you want lastly combine the layers. Oh and save alot because it's going to take a lot of your comp. You could also just mess with your color and brushing I like a mix of both puting color and taking color way.

Scott Story
05-28-2006, 11:07 AM
The way I do it is, first I make a pattern, called grime or somesuch.

This all sounds complicated, but the first is a onetime deal and reausable. To make the grime pattern, Make a small pic, about 2 x 3", Then fill it with noise at the highest settings. I do this in grayscale. Then, resize the pic to full comic page size, or bigger. To get the sharp edges, I then hit posterize, and set it at probably about 8 layers. Select all, then hit edit / set as pattern. Close doc.

On the page you are coloring, open a new layer, and hit edit/fill/pattern, pick your grime (or whatever) pattern. Set that new layer to multiply over your colors, and turn down the opacity to get it right. You may end up messing with the contrast a little too. So, it took a little set up, but now you can hit the same thing again and again quickly.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Scott Story, I just tried what you wrote above, and it works just great! It only takes 5 minutes to set up, and I guess using the same recipe, one could create all kinds of textures... :)