PDA

View Full Version : Liquid graphite???

pencilsbyjim
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Okay I was at the store the other day and I saw pencils that use this, I was interested, but I 'd like to know more about it before I invest in them. I'm wondering how they would age, and what sort of problems they might cause, also if they would be useable in comic art or not, and their range artwise. Anybody use these or have any info??? :huh:

pencilsbyjim
01-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah I think I'm going to pick up a few after the first of the month, I'll let you know how they do. And I'll post a few sketch pages to show how they look on paper.

pencilsbyjim
02-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Okay I don't even think I'm going to post the pages I did with these. As a writing tool they're okay, but for art they kind of suck. The best way to describe them is that they produce a line sort of like those really cheap wax crayons. It looks fine but, you can't blend them because of the waxy medium they use to suspend the graphite, and if the line is smudged it wipes out the graphite line completely. It leaves a waxy residue when erased, and a graphite after image. The ones that I bought were 2B ( Because that's all they had at the time.) The feeling of using one of these is like writing with a pen. It takes some getting used to because your thinking pencil, and your hand's saying pen. They don't give the same tactile response as a normal pencil would. I think with a little tinkering these could be cool, but I think they fall short of the mark. I'm pretty sure they had writing in mind when these were made though. They don't really mix well with other pencils, if you draw over top of the line it chips away at it, and they don't like to write over top of other pencil lines, I question their ability to be inked over as well, I haven't tried yet, but I'm pretty sure the ink would have problems. If you were scanning the pencils to be inked in PS, or printed out in blue line I think you'd be okay though. I'll keep messing with them, and see what happens, but it doesn't look good so far. :(

dano
02-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :thumbs: does it give you different line weight depending on how hard you press?

pencilsbyjim
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Not much difference. And if you go over it, it just scratches off the layer underneath. ;)

chaosgoat
08-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Oil mediums are evil.

These pencils sound ridiculous. I get the impression that these are just going to be more expensive to produce and to use. I think someone was scraping for ideas at the last corporate meeting...