PDA

View Full Version : A survey for the pencilers!

MadCow Menu
07-10-2005, 10:15 PM
So the pencilers don't get jealous, here's a quick survey on what kind of tools you use as a penciler.
Good old fashioned pencils or tech pencils?

tecraccoon
07-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I use a drafting pencil, which a lot of guys use. It's like a technical pencil, but needs to be constantly sharpened to keep it's point.

Blake

WillieHewes
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I use normal 2H pencils. My pencils are a bit rough though, cause I'm my own inker and I generally know what I mean anyway. :) Maybe that's why. Technical pencils are too much hassle for me.

dano
07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I clicked 'other' for 'both'

I like wood pencils. they allow me to get a good flow for sketching. Since they dont have that needly point of mechs, you can get some great sketchy lines without digging into the board. Also, i dont get caught up in details with the woods. if you leave it a little dull you sketch shapes more than details.

THEn i go in with the mechs and tighten it up. further define my lines and details.

NickGuy
07-11-2005, 04:18 PM
i use these green pencils with no erasers, 3H or 6H. i love the light line it gives and its easy to ink over.

Gav Heryng
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I use a nice, middle of the road HB mechanical pencil. No inker required, thanks.

Dis

Biofungus
07-17-2005, 12:25 AM
I use EVERYTHING.

I recently bought 6 *dozen* 3h pencils for 4 bucks off ebay (brand new, unopened, I even gave a couple of dozen to a fellow artist here on DW), I also use 2h's, and several B leads if it's going to be pencil only (2b, 4b, and 8b. But I do have some 5 and 6 b's). I occassionally use a non-photo blue or a 4h for a VERY light underdrawing, and I have several charcoal pencils (black and white) for effects and whatnot. I also have a lead holder that I like to use for final pencils, and a drafting mechanical pencil (those things are darn 'spensive!) for tight drawing (usually... mechanical/architectural rendering... dundundun!), and I even have a 'Shorty' (it's a mech pencil that uses 3.15mm 8b leads) which is great for doing ink type 'line weight variation' outlines on pencil images. I've even experimented with a red pencil for underdrawings, and of course, my preferred medium for coloring after markers or the computer are colored pencils (which my technique with is arguably better than my marker or computer techniques ;) )

I'm one of those people who will try ANYTHING. Literally. I even have a lead holder and some black graphite and sanguine leads. Those are also 3.15 mm.

Btw, I REALLY need a 3.15mm lead sharpener/pointer, but it seems an unpopular size in the States. If anyone knows where I can order one, PLEASE let me know.

Selko
07-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Btw, I REALLY need a 3.15mm lead sharpener/pointer, but it seems an unpopular size in the States. If anyone knows where I can order one, PLEASE let me know.

Maybe here I will look when I go to the art supply store think I may have seen some. Just can't read f-in Kanji so you may end up with some space age profilactic.

Artsta
07-17-2005, 06:16 PM
tech...

SMASHER/DEVOURER
07-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I found a HB writing pencil from school and used that for about 9 months.
Then I found a mechanical 0.5mm recently and have been using that. :laugh:

b0ogie
07-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I use both, but mostly tech pencils. but i use dull wood to fill in larger spaces.

but i mostly use a .05, but switch it up depending on what details im going for witha .03 or a .07.

p.s. .03 are fragile as hell.

Biofungus
07-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Maybe here I will look when I go to the art supply store think I may have seen some. Just can't read f-in Kanji so you may end up with some space age profilactic.
also good! :p

dxdragon
07-18-2005, 03:42 AM
I have every kind of pencil ever made. Mech, arch, wooden, and these new nifty completely graphite penciles that weigh about 5 time that of a regular pencil...they flow like butter.

Gonzogoose
07-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I use a 4h for layouts, 2b for heavier lines and shading, and a couple differnt mm sizes of mechanical pencils for finishes, usually a 0.5.

I've also used an HB, B and F at times.

webcomicfan
07-18-2005, 09:55 PM
I use mostly drafting pencils for sequentials. Derwent 4H - HB, I don't usually go any softer or it gets messy. Then I may use mechs for touch up and hard lines.

fcoesquivel
07-22-2005, 02:42 PM
I use tech pencil with blue leads to draw the early scketch and the details of my drawings, then I finished the arwork using either a 2mm leads tech pencil or wooden pencils. HB for backgrounds and B for the characters and close ups.

Propsdue
07-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I guess a Staedler Lead holder would fall under a technical pencil..Get a nice inch long point on a 2h lead to one of those babies and its on..Thats usually for full sized pages though.I use just about everything from technical pencils, regular wood, blending stumps, I've even used those flat carpenter pencils...The pencil I use varies according to what paper its being used on...Now thats a whole 'nuther thread :)

MadCow Menu
07-23-2005, 05:47 PM
The pencil I use varies according to what paper its being used on...Now thats a whole 'nuther thread :)
And now it is!

drewerd
07-29-2005, 07:17 PM
I use a staedler 2mm lead holder with 2h lead. Sometimes non-repo blue lead.

I have had the same pencil since High school but I have spares just in case :D

I definately love the feel and though I have to sharpen it all the time I like the various line weights it provides

marco pedrana
07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
i use many differents things depending on the mood, but for comic book sequencials i often go for soft pencils for main lines, hard pencils for the rest. i put in some 6B graphite for some edge line, and if needed tech pencil for details. when i draw for personal stuff, encluded different format sequencials i use really everything that works little bigger black white coloured hard soft liquid old new. the goal is to meet the need of the present task with a satisfaction in handling the medium, as it relaxes me and make me feel more expressive.

pencilsbyjim
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I use a 4H wood to rough in then I cherry pick my lines with a .05 HB tech, then after that I use my clutch pencil with an HB lead to add line weight and a more natural feel to the pencils. after that's done I pick out details with the .05 HB What up Bo Daddy! :har:

cbgiles
08-03-2005, 02:10 AM
#2 pencil, that way I can share with my boys going back to school and 0.5 mechanical pencils.

bluelinesmoke
08-03-2005, 06:13 AM
The little ones you get at miniature golf courses.

little nemo
08-06-2005, 07:09 PM
i use pencils pens berol prismacolor pens magic markers felt tip pens bic writing pens black india ink with a brush sometimes a blue wash for shadows.

Biofungus
08-07-2005, 12:37 AM
The little ones you get at miniature golf courses.

I used to grab handfuls of those for my compasses. I didn't know where else you could get them...

Kal_EL
08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm not a pro or anything. I'm still experimenting with pencils. Right now I have a Staedtler 0.3 4H mechanical pencil. I like it because of the amount of detail I can put into my drawings. Only thing it tends to scratch the paper I use, that is probably because I need some real drawing paper.

JeffW.
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I use a wooden non photo blue pencil for layouts and for building my pages. Then I use a .05 and a .03 mechanical pencil to do the actual penciling.

TGK
08-26-2005, 01:58 AM
i use those 99 cents only pencils.

Biofungus
08-26-2005, 02:56 AM
i use those 99 cents only pencils.
99 cents a piece, like the Turquoise or other similar pencils, or 99 cents a dozen, like the #2 Dixon Ticonderoga's you get at the 'back to school' sales?

Ray Dillon
08-26-2005, 03:23 AM
I use a wacom tablet (best tool ever!), but when I do board work, I use both. Most of the time, I use a .5 mechanical pencil, but some effects you need a wooden pencil. And sometimes, it feels right to use a different tool.

Except for when you're using a wacom tablet. Then it's always the right tool. ;)

sneed
08-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Since I do heavy rendering. . . and I don't expect to have my pencils inked. . . I go for regular and heavy bee's. . . four's are best. . . .

I worry more about the erasering. I usually the erasers into itty, bitty pieces.

sneed

:bounce:

newageartist
08-28-2005, 08:08 PM
i use a steadtler lead holder, 2mm hb for finishes. and a mechanical .07 with the non photo blue lead for roughs and some finishes when i dont wanna have it inked. i love drawing with that stuff. i also use different weights to, ranging from a 2b and up. mostly just the hb though. f grade is decent aswell! hey its what jim lee uses. :nyah:

hannu
08-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Staedtler Mars Lumograph 2H pencils.

TGK
08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
pencils i can buy from 99 cents store

BuckyBeaver
09-01-2005, 01:07 PM
:happy:

I use both wood and mechanical pencils.The lead I use is 2h mostly. :happy:

Oh,hello,btw.I'm new. :banana:

MadCow Menu
09-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard Beav.

Michael Fraley
09-12-2005, 08:04 AM
When on the go, I like to use mechanical pencils, usually a B - got used to working with them 20 years ago when I was a sports sketch artist. When you're in the bleachers, the fewer supplies you have to fiddle around with the better.

I was in the habit of using mechanical pencils with a non-photo blue lead for years.

At my desk, I generally use an HB, and think of the occasional sharpening as a zen thing ...

I'd love to use a 6H (the late Jim Aparo's pencil of choice), but my eyes aren't that good ...

Comfort Love
09-26-2005, 06:11 PM
I use a variety of pencils, both mechanical and traditional. I usually draw my roughs in 3H or 2H traditional pencils, this depends on the paper I am using at the time. I then transfer my work onto a new piece of paper with a blue pencil to keep everything looking clean. Then I go back to the 3H traditional pencil for double checking and adding to my details. Lastly, I move to a set of HB mechanical pencils, a 3, 5, and 9 to easily get a variety of line weights. It may seem like quite a process, but trust me, for the big projects, it's worth it aesthetically and time wise.

Calloway
10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I like sharp pencils. The yellow ones are great if they would just stay sharp. I like a 2h to 3 h lead. I use regular lead pencils (not holders , though I love lead holders most-except that whole sharpening the lead with the itsy bitsy sharpners) for the most part though.

pencilsbyjim
10-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I'd love to use a 6H (the late Jim Aparo's pencil of choice), but my eyes aren't that good ...

I've been thinking of useing A 6H, I use a 4H for my layouts already.

Justice41
10-08-2005, 03:14 AM
White ink on a grey paper. Just outline all the areas that will be white and voila' it looks like I pencilled something. :whistling

ShaneT
12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
I use .5 mm cheap pentel mechanical pencils mostly, but from time to time I like the old wood pencil, but it depends on the piece. I don't use mechanical on a piece unless it will get inked after.

tbirdcomics
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I use a mechanical pencil with a HB .05 lead, and a gray kneaded gum eraser.

lanigirod
12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
believe it or not. i use ink pens...i hate pencils and i use them only when i have to...

i don't use pencils even when i'm doing portraits of people...

ArtisticBlasts
12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
"Regular pencils that need to be sharpened" is my favorite pencil tools :)

compton
12-30-2005, 05:55 AM
I just got a new pencil that's all graphite ,not sure what there called.
works pretty good :D

ShanE
12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
I use a wacom tablet for everything, penciling, inking and color.
I do print out my pencils and make corrections with marker jsut in cas my perception is off from looking at the screen too long (because you can get pretty close to your work).
Then go back in and fix tangents and perspec

pencilsbyjim
01-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been thinking of useing A 6H, I use a 4H for my layouts already.

Oh just to update I've switched to 6H. and I love it, you do have to watch the pressure you use like with all hard leads, but it's worth it, and I'd recommend it. :)

FeelnMe
02-01-2006, 04:20 AM
I've lost the feel for the traditional wood pencil from using mech pencils for so long. I have a 9.0 mech pencil that I love but I only use it on large paper projects.

Sickboy
02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Mechanical pencil for me. I hate stopping a mental groove I'm in to sharpen or replace a pencil.

srfzom-B
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Both/everything.
I use the big fat carpenter's pencils for a lot of stuff, keeps you loose to start with and you can beat the hell out of them without breaking the lead.
They actually come in 3 degrees of hardness just at the hardware store. :p
Then I get more crispness going with the 2mm lead holders, the sometimes fine-tune even more with teeny tech pencils.

jakebilbao
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
clutch pencil, with hb lead. :) another with 2h lead when drawing panel lines :)

drewerd
06-15-2007, 02:23 AM
I use 2mm Lead holder with H, 2H, and 4h Lead. I use Staedler, Koh-I-Noor, and Turquoise. I really use 2h Most of the Time and just vary the pressure but it matters with my body condition and Humidity. Most of the time it is 2H.

I do keep 2b-4H in stock just in case and Non-photoblue also but I rarely use it anymore.

Thunder Rat
06-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I prefer mechanical pencils, I hate having to sharpen the regular Ol' HB wood pencils over and over again.

Premature Inker
06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
I use Mirado Black warriors mostly..For my layouts i use the side of an "austria" H pencil...and for fleshing the roughs out i use a 0.7 bic cheapo' mechanical pencil.

J.

dougiemccoy
06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
a mechanical 0.5mm with driffrent types of leads....

MrGranger
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM
So what are you using today? Many choices from 2005 (when this thread started) aren't available. Have some of you changed your habits?

Biofungus
08-19-2009, 03:57 AM
I have about 8 different pencils running :p

The DarkMind
08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
pencils are obsolete now? :blink: when the hell did that happen?!?!

aw geez... this is worse then that time newt heard the beloved music of his youth on "classic rock" radio. i'm old now cause i still use pencils and remember when they were hip :cry:

Lord Fejj
08-30-2009, 04:00 AM
try here
http://www.pencilthings.com/lead-pointer-for-2mm-3-15mm-lead-with-sand-paper-sponge-pencil-tip-cleaner.html

Lord Fejj
08-30-2009, 04:03 AM
I use any kind of pencil but I prefer a soft lead. I tend to scratch the paper with a hard lead because I'm a bit heavy handed.