PDA

View Full Version : Can someone PLEASE help me

shushubag
06-06-2005, 03:52 AM
I have an 8 and 1/2 x 11 scanner and I'm trying to put together an 11 x 17 image together. I want to know how to splice it together. I have windows xp if anyone can help.

Devia
06-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Easiest way: go to a copier place, and shrink it down in photo mode, onto 8 1/2 x 11, but the largest amount of space it will take. You can either hit auto reduction, or mess with the percentages, lik 67% - 64%. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Then scan that, so you don't get any warpage, unless you have a book scanner, which will allow you to have a clean edge to paste in photoshop - but I doubt you do.

- Julie

brawnlaw
06-06-2005, 07:17 AM
What Devia sez is a good idea. If you can ( and you do decide to reduce it ) try and get them to give you a few sheets of "Lazer White" xerox paper if they have it. That stuff is super-white, a touch on the glossy side and will give you a super-clean copy. Point being, when you do scan it, you won't have to adjust levels too much to get rid of the grain of the paper, if at all.

Splicing it together after scanning both halves requires Photoshop or some other image editing software - I'm guessing you have that, Shushubag?

ethanWright
06-06-2005, 03:14 PM
But first, - do you have photoshop?

shushubag
06-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Okay well there is my answer. I don't have photoshop so I guess I can't splice it together. I tried to shrink the image down but there is no option that I am aware of that will let me splice the image together on my computer. Does anyone have anything they could add, the copy shop charges an arm and a leg, just to scan a single 11 x 17 is like 15 bucks and you know how rich us comic book creators are.

OR can someone tell me how or where to get a scanner that will scan 11 x 17. I think I remember a thread way back about an 11 x 17 scanner people were talking about and you know what I'll look right now.

Tucker_680
06-07-2005, 02:44 AM
can't remember or find the site right at this moment, but google for "A3 scanners" and some will pop up. i've found a couple around 150.00

MadCow Menu
06-07-2005, 07:57 AM
If you are scanning in finished inked pages, there is no reason why you can't just go to Kinko's and get it shrunk down. On most copy machines you can shrink from comic page size to letter size with one button. And you won't be losing any quality using a copy machine as long as it's a good one.

brawnlaw
06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
What Madcow said, Shushubag.

However, you must have some kind of image-editing software, don't you? Didn't you get an image editor with your scanner? Most scanners, when purchased, come bundled with one. It's usually on the same program disk as the scanner's software. I'm using a Microtek, which aside from being a dandy scanner, came with a program called Ulead Photo Impact. A really bogus, cheap copy of Photoshop, but even that could put scanned halves together, no problem. So I'd check the program disk for something like Ulead. Even if you don't have it, you can go to Staples or some other stationery store that sells inexpensive office software and get it relatively cheap. Lord knows it's a lot less expensive than Photoshop. Hope this helps.

dano
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I just got me a Mustek A3 scanner thru Amazon.com. It scans 11 x 17.

shushubag
06-08-2005, 12:16 AM
I do use the image editor but there is no feature for splicing. I tried shrinking it ridiculously small and put the rest together but there just isn't an option. And the only reason, like I said earlier, I won't go to the copy shop (no Kinkos here) is just too expensive.

But I think I'l just get one if it costs 150 bucks, I can afford that if it'll save me money. All we have here in Hilo is Office Max and they charge like 15 bucks per scan, do the math, it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks guys.

MadCow Menu
06-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Dude, 15 bucks?
There must be a self serve copy machine somewhere in your town. It shouldn't cost you more than 10 cents a copy.

brawnlaw
06-08-2005, 07:58 AM
So far, nobody's outlined any way to actually put 2 halves together, and based on your post Shushubag, I'm thinking that maybe you think it's an automatic function? Well, it's not, and I apologize if you are aware that it's not something the program does automatically.

If you can change the canvas size, the image editor you're using has a copy and paste function and has layers, you can do it. Briefly, here's how:

Scan both halves of your image at the same resolution, for whatever your needs are: 300 dpi for print as an example, Grayscale, RGB, CMYK or whatever. Don't worry about getting the image scanned in perfect halves. I always find that if you get some of the overlap of each side, it's better, because it gives you some room to work with as you paste both sides together and line them up. When aligned, you can erase or delete the overlap if you want to.

Once each half is scanned, make a third, blank document at the final canvas size - in other words, twice the size of either scanned half and at the same resolution - and minimize it in the program. Open the first half, select the entire thing, copy it and close that half. Then, maximize the full size document and click the paste function. If the image editor you're using supports layers, it will most likely create a layer automatically as it pastes each half in. Then, repeat the same thing again with the second half of your two scans. You can copy one half into the other and increase the canvas size there too, but by creating a new, third doc, you still have your original halves to go back to in case you make any mistakes. Always a good way to work in a computer, yes?

Once both halves of the scan are in the main document, you may have to manuever them a little, line 'em up and touch 'em up, but with a little practice, it's not all that difficult. And when all is said and done, you can then flatten the file and you've got your full-size, complete scan.

Hope this helps. :)

dano
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Just FYI, my 11x17 Mustek came with a free version of Photoshop 5.0.
Make your choice.

shushubag
06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
brainlaw- you're a genius. I never thought of that. I knew there had to be some way to get it together. Thank you.

dano- I willl definitely get the scanner if it comes with photoshop 5.0,
can you tell me exactly what musket will get the free photoshop?
Until then I'll just do what brainlaw said.

Madcow- We have selfserve scanners but none are 11 x 17 all are 8 1/2 x 11 the only one 11 x 17 scanner we have on this island is broken, leaving Office Max my only option.

Thanks guys.

dano
06-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Goto Amazon.com Mustek Scan express A3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000719OR/ref=e_de_a_smtpd/002-9134386-7759219?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846&vi=tech-data) . Its not the full version but i assume its better than nothing. I haven't loaded it.

shushubag
06-09-2005, 04:35 AM
Goto Amazon.com Mustek Scan express A3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000719OR/ref=e_de_a_smtpd/002-9134386-7759219?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846&vi=tech-data) . Its not the full version but i assume its better than nothing. I haven't loaded it.

Right you are, anything is better than nothing. Plus I've never used photoshop before so it'll give me some practice and let me know if I want to buy the full version when I get the money later on.

Thanks again. I'll check it out right now.

Crosshatcher
06-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Okay well there is my answer. I don't have photoshop so I guess I can't splice it together. I tried to shrink the image down but there is no option that I am aware of that will let me splice the image together on my computer. Does anyone have anything they could add, the copy shop charges an arm and a leg, just to scan a single 11 x 17 is like 15 bucks and you know how rich us comic book creators are.

OR can someone tell me how or where to get a scanner that will scan 11 x 17. I think I remember a thread way back about an 11 x 17 scanner people were talking about and you know what I'll look right now.

I have a Mustek A3EP that I got 4 years ago. They don't make them anymore and they're hard to find. Some of the newer ones are costly. You have to use it a lot to get your moneys worth.

Have you tried searching on ebay or done a google search for an oversize scanner? You may get lucky.

Most photo editing software has some means of splicing two halves of art together but Photoshop or Coreldraw are the best.

L Jamal
06-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Not self server scanners, self server copiers.
A copier can reduce your 11x17 art down to letter size and then you scan the letter sized art with your letter sized scanner at home.

wisper
06-17-2005, 01:58 AM
.96 up or down size scan's here in Maryland usa.

or...http://www.provantage.com/buy-7mstd00l-scanexpress-a3-usb-mustek-9810400050-shopping.htm

verlierer
08-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Just in case somebody is interested ... if you don't have access to Photoshop, there is an open source raster program called GIMP, which will do most of the things you'll need to do for scanning/coloring comic art.

Its not Photoshop, but for free, it sure ain't bad.

(they also have a free vector program, but i haven't used it, and don't recall the name.)

thx.