PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Marvel Samples

DavidNH
10-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Hello guys. These is some samples I did back then. Hope you guys dig. All crits are welcome XD.

https://scontent.fcgk3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22851854_10211710719537673_8273729918828923971_n.j pg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGPu4c8qaY_IQAtlNqIICFOsE-U983DtTckTi9kecs5AibEvbIL5NBhyJiYO_aUBZHAuCTzLw_5F OQHnZvZngEOsWx5PM72ft9ATkrz_F2J2mVAQM1m9xAPyh7joRr Od1E&oh=0fdee8f063688fc927e536c1d15fadef&oe=5AA51A63

https://scontent.fcgk3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22852183_10211710719617675_2284583912352263713_n.j pg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFkDorYHegTYkJfyO06syvUKHssAKSGA ZpTYK-Wnc9noyeIjIKfrZO1dxqfPZZodd8lLMzgh_TnQneBWtYyOlhu8 5eFKebhHgatPD0OuSk50WSDqsMoP-w6u2xc3RdzMvA&oh=87b9a0e55e7189e27143fbf79ca7e049&oe=5A673261

https://scontent.fcgk3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22886139_10211710719657676_2318888643414486116_n.j pg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeF_JL0R--SF3JD8uP4fHoY7VqLEM-D9Ewv0AisvQyUiN3sE7csunnTn2xxc9vwacPLPplKENLzx8Xvc 6LXMMaVxOASps5IhU-nNHXEJaTi95WyCb1Ks-thNQaPvifm9egU&oh=ff7a2a5e0da2972907c9c84f082d7681&oe=5AA9B149

kevinharte36
10-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Nice. Maybe try new angles and avoid the same type of shots..

11-03-2017, 04:05 PM
I like these for the most part. but one thing I cant get past is that monster. he looks like hes supposed to be funny. like a gag character. I don't know why. that's all I see, he looks goofy and I actually kinda like that. but I don't know if that's what the script calls for.
its the eyes or something. reminds me of that goofy imaginary character from Pixars INSIDE OUT.
anyway, I like the design. but it reads as FUNNY. to ME anyway.

rob

DavidNH
11-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Hello guys thanks for replying. Yes I'm trying to make the monster that supposed to be ghostbuster-y and I suppose it would be very nice if I draw the monster a little bit funny. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong but drawing some cool and intimidating monsters is as fun as drawing some goofy blob-like monster XD.

For the camera angle I will try to diverse my camera for the next sequential practice bro. thanks a lot for the critique XD

Neil Allen
11-17-2017, 01:32 PM
It doesn't look bad, but there are some things I feel you can do to improve this. First, the proportions aren't all the way there. For instance, look how wide and big you're making your main character's feet sometimes. Not sure if intentional, but it's not a design choice I would make. At a glance, what it looks like to me is that sometimes her arms are a bit short, her hands are big, and her feet are very large.

Also, there isn't much going on in the backgrounds. It's looking like the fight is taking place in the sky, and if so, I understand there isn't always a lot you can do there. However, if these are samples meant to show other people, I'd choose a more interesting setting. When comic artists skimp on backgrounds (and many of them often do), it's something that I notice. To do that is to intentionally miss an opportunity to further immerse your reader in your story. Though, I believe a lot of artists often do that because of time constraints. The establishing shot at the top is pretty cool, though.

DavidNH
11-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks a lot for the crit Neil. Yeah there is a bad (I dont know if this is bad or not but I think its bad) habit that goes back all the way since my childhood. I've always been a fan of albert uderzo and back then i try to imitate his art. the way he draws the character, like big feet and big nose, I know its cartoony but Whenever I want to draw feet its going to be a bit bigger than normal people lol. XD. As for the background I really understand your point bro and I should change them to another setting to make them more interesting and more convincing XD. Thanks a lot bro :D Appreciate your crit a lot.

ianjjohnston
11-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Hi DavidNH!

Here's my critique for things that I see and that I hope help!

First off great work getting this much work done! :) I enjoy your stylization of the female faces and even the design of your tentacle monster.

I see the fireball in page 1 panel 1, but I don't know if that is Ms. Marvel or the monster. If you had some carry over effects around her body or the monster's body, it would help marry those two elements in the story.

On the constructive side there are a few anatomical issues that need to be resolved (first and last panel of page two feel a little "compacted" for the shoulder in panel 1, and torso / arm perspective to her body in panel 4. I would also like to see stronger facial expressions that really showcase an emotional involvement from the characters and their plight. They currently feel fairly neutral about the whole experience.

In page 2 panel 1, the two female characters look like they are looking UP at the monster, but in the following panel, we are looking DOWN on it. This illusion is due to the placement of the monster in frame (low), and the perspective we have on it's arms and body overall. I would probably redraw the monster reveal on the page so it becomes the most important topic of that page and really sell the threat it imposes. Right now it is not as important as Ms. Marvel. I would shrink her down in panel4 for proportion sake to help make the monster feel larger and give you more space to draw it as well.

In page 3 to really emphasize the power of that punch, really straighten out her arm and make it follow the contour of her body. When it's bent like that it loses impact and power. (See "line of action" in drawing techniques to understand what I'm thinking.)

I feel you can spend a relatively short time learning hair / hands and with just those two things down, you can really take your work to a new level!

Last technique I would employ: Flip your images in Photoshop and make all adjustments so it feels "right" and pleasing. Then reverse the flip. This technique saves me over and over time and time again. You'll see things you don't pick up and make adjustments with a fresh perspective. When you flip the image back, you will be surprised at how many things you fixed you couldn't catch from the original perspective!

Hope these help!

--I

kevinharte36
11-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Just a tip in general.You should try and use clip studio paint 3d models if you need rough anatomy refs if your having trouble with a pose/proportion...

DavidNH
11-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks a lot Ian. Really appreciate your crits. I really need to work with my paneling and anatomy especially when its cropped by the panel's border. Sometimes its a bit confusing for me when I have to draw inside a panel because I really dont know where to crop them. So I just use my sense and feeling lol XD.

Thanks Kev. I dont have the software. I only use photo ref and some imagination to draw. I'm familiar with CSP but never try that software. Maybe Ill get 1 when they give some discount lol.