PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Comic Day

eDuke
09-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Anyone here participating in this year's 24 Hour Comic Day? It'd be kinda cool to get a group of us together online.

Stewart Vernon
09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
I honestly haven't heard of this. What is it?

eDuke
09-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Check it out:
http://www.24hourcomicsday.com

Basically you do a 24 page comic in 24 hours.

Duane Korslund
09-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Holy moly!! It takes me 24 months to do a 24 page comic :/

paul brian deberry
09-26-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna write a script and trying to coordinate with a friend.

eDuke
09-27-2017, 03:41 AM
I think the rules require you to write, draw, letter, and color all by yourself. :D

Duane Korslund
09-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Welp, i guess stick figures.

09-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Welp, i guess stick figures.

ive done it twice. a local comic shop hosted the thing and there was a whole bunch of artists there, including Invincible artist Ryan Ottley, and it was awesome.

but yeah... its not where you do your BEST work. its a rush job and you do the best you can.

they say it should be created totally from scratch but I don't work that way and came up with the story/concept before hand to I didn't waste time sitting there going "what do I want to have happen now?". some people work great that way. not me though.

it IS fun though if you are with the right group of people.

rob

Stewart Vernon
09-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Hmmm... so is that 24 pages of story? i.e. just the "guts" of the comic, no front/back cover created in the 24-hour process?

I'll have to think about this... not thinking of an idea... but thinking is this something I could reasonably do. Working digitally streamlines some things for a thing like this, if you keep the characters simple you get a lot of re-use from page to page if you're creative with it. So, it's like set-design on a TV show... a lot of work on the early pages, but a lot of coasting on the later ones... at least from the drawing side of things.

09-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Hmmm... so is that 24 pages of story? i.e. just the "guts" of the comic, no front/back cover created in the 24-hour process?

I'll have to think about this... not thinking of an idea... but thinking is this something I could reasonably do. Working digitally streamlines some things for a thing like this, if you keep the characters simple you get a lot of re-use from page to page if you're creative with it. So, it's like set-design on a TV show... a lot of work on the early pages, but a lot of coasting on the later ones... at least from the drawing side of things.

yeah its just the story part. and keeping it simple goes a LONG way to getting done in time. my first attempt I had just a vague idea of what I wanted to do and made it up mostly on the spot, and I was doing WAY to many panels(something I still struggle with to this day). I only got to page 10. I did finish later though.

my second attempt I planned better, and simplified the story and got all the way done with the 24 pages with 3 or 4 hours to go before the deadline hit.

you end up seeing a lot of stories set in dark caves, or in the desert, or like mine, in snowy mountain, which make backgrounds east to draw.

good times. an endurance trial tho for sure.

Gonzogoose
09-27-2017, 10:32 PM
I think the rules require you to write, draw, letter, and color all by yourself. :D

Me and my co-founder of Last Ember Press are doing it unofficially. Since, as you say, the rules require one person does it all, we're not registering, but we're still participating.

I'm doing the script and lettering, she's doing the rest. We're going to live stream parts of it throughout the day on YouTube.com/ComicFrontline.

I've never done it before, neither has she, so it's going to be a lot of fun trying. :)

eDuke
09-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about doing it unofficially too, just a group of people from this forum. We'd either post up pages here in a thread or shout them out through Twitter with a #digiweb hashtag so we know who we are.

Stewart Vernon
09-28-2017, 02:03 AM
I actually had a good idea a long time ago for just the kind of story that would work well here. Trying to decide if I want to do that OR see if I can go in blind and come up with something on the spot.

I suppose having a backup plan/idea already would give me some confidence to try it though. I'll have to seriously think about this the next few days and see if I can devote 24 hours to it.

I fizzled out on Inktober last year... missed a couple of days at the end... so I wanted to try and do that all the way through this year. If I think I can do both things, I might try it.

Scribbly
09-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Are these 24 hour comics published somewhere afterwards?

Gonzogoose
10-01-2017, 07:56 PM
I think the official ones might be, Scribbly, but I'm not sure.

Ed, that's a great idea for DW!

JoieSimmons
10-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I'm in.
Finally going to do it.

http://www.joiesimmons.com/24hourcomicsday

http://www.joiesimmons.com/uploads/1/1/1/9/111995589/anus-shirt-300dpi-1_orig.jpg

Stewart Vernon
10-07-2017, 04:00 PM
I had to decide no... as fun as it sounds... I'm still running a couple of days behind with Inktober and I want to catch that up, among other things... Maybe next year for me!

Kay
10-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Looking good so far! Good luck with the rest. I've done it twice... It was exhausting. The French edition: http://www.24hdelabandedessinee.com/spip.php?article8

Gonzogoose
10-08-2017, 10:17 AM
We did it, but did not finish. We live streamed our progress throughout the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBtUDYV1dw&list=PLH_DRa83aPNUhvk4DaBGs_M4e8uDaoqDv

Ended up with one completely finished page. lol

JoieSimmons
10-09-2017, 08:53 AM
I finished!
18 hours (with some food, drink and a couple other breaks) and got 24 pages, written, penciled, lettered, inked and toned. And two days later my hand is still cramped up and my neck is stiff.

http://www.joiesimmons.com/24hourcomicsday

sevans
10-18-2017, 02:24 AM
A*NUS was awesome.
Well done, fun read and fun artwork style.

JoieSimmons
10-18-2017, 11:18 AM
A*NUS was awesome.
Well done, fun read and fun artwork style.

Thanks!
IT was a blast to make!

paul brian deberry
10-18-2017, 10:24 PM
show off

JoieSimmons
10-19-2017, 02:53 PM
show off

:banana: :carrot: :thumbs: :nyah: