PDA

View Full Version : colors over Wrightson

MonsterModelReview
09-06-2017, 07:55 PM
In memory of my favorite artist Berni Wrightson, I colored this piece from the DC SwampThing reprint series.
http://www.monstermodelreview.com/BWpaint2.jpg
I colored in Photoshop add some fun textures.
Rob
Monster Model Review

jeffchris50
09-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Nice coloring job over a master, Rob. Only have a couple of nits to pick...

Beings that the artwork is Berni Wrightson and knowing what the subject matter is, you might want to "muddy" it up a bit so the colors are not quite so garish and bright. These are definitely the colors I would want to see on Spidey or Superman, but in the fetid and dank world of the swamp, they seem a bit out of place.

Watch the greens on Swampy; he's perilously close to being almost Hulk green and Swampy, being basically an animated pile of bog vegetation, is usually a darker and more somber green unless, of course, he's being hit by some particularly strong lighting, then his brighter greens show up. Take a look at Swampy through the years and you can see how many artists and colorists have taken to adding even some browns and wood tones to the character to further illustrate what he's made out of.

Overall, though, really nice stuff...

PS: If your don't have a copy, you should try to track down a copy of his "The Monsters: Color The Creature Book" from back in 1974. Lots of gorgeous, black-and-white 11 x 17 artwork that you can lose your mind on with as far as colors go!

MonsterModelReview
09-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks, I do have the coloring book and sent Liz ( Bernie's Wife) a note about making a new one. Thanks for the impute, great advice, sometimes I think I'm color blind or at least feel I jump around to much on the color wheel. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jeffreygraphix
09-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Oh wow! Now this is my kind of genre. This is just awesome!

MonsterModelReview
09-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks , I'm a monster kid from way way back :)