PDA

View Full Version : The Defenders

Angel
08-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Sorry to be so negative. But take all the worst elements of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Daredevil and swirl it all together. Thanks Netflix!

PS: Could Claire just die already?

jeffchris50
08-26-2017, 04:22 AM
Watched all eight episodes in one sitting and it definitely had it's weak points ("I'm the Immortal Iron Fist" should never be stated that frequently in eight episodes) and it's more entertaining points.

It was cool to finally see all the gritty, street level heroes come together, though Murdock should've left the DD suit in the chest and opted for his black ninja look, then he would've matched his uncostumed compatriots better. The banter between some of them was quite entertaining, although I can't understand why, if they knew they were facing a threat that could level Hell's Kitchen and beyond, none of them made even a passing reference to getting in touch with The Avengers.

An actress of Sigourney Weaver's caliber was wasted on Alexandra, supposed "leader" of The Hand who never really did---anything except glare a lot, change clothes and eat expensive food.

I got a little tired of all the constant martial arts fighting and would've rather seen some good, old-fashioned fisticuffs courtesy of Cages and Jessica Jones, neither of whom, to my knowledge, are well-versed in martial arts.

The last act of the last episode actually finally drew some emotion out in me---until the cheapened it by the last minute of the show.

Overall, OK, but not as good as Seasons One of DD or JJ.

Bishop
08-27-2017, 03:08 AM
I liked it for the most part. Better than Iron Fist and Luke Cage, imo.

Buckyrig
08-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Fans have been letting Marvel (and other geek IPs) get over with their flaws for a long while now. I think it's really more a matter that the bad habits have entrenched themselves because no one calls them out in the good movies and shows.

Anyway, Defenders was ok. But I really only think the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones were notably good. Everything else was enjoyable to some degree without being much more.

Duane Korslund
08-28-2017, 08:41 AM
I felt story wise it was pretty good...what killed it for me was the horribly written dialogue.Nearly all character interaction was stilted and felt forced. This was a perfect opportunity for some decent banter between characters we loved (or tolerated with annoyance in the case of Iron Fist), and it fell flat nearly every time.