PDA

View Full Version : cave

midknight
08-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Some pages from the comic I’m working on.
Thanks for looking.:bounce:

https://pre03.deviantart.net/84f9/th/pre/i/2017/231/2/7/chap093_by_midknight23-dbklfzt.jpg

https://pre03.deviantart.net/122c/th/pre/i/2017/231/a/b/chap094_by_midknight23-dbklfvj.jpg

https://pre11.deviantart.net/5ddf/th/pre/i/2017/231/1/4/chap095_by_midknight23-dbklft5.jpg

https://pre05.deviantart.net/cbff/th/pre/i/2017/231/0/e/chap096_by_midknight23-dbklfpz.jpg

https://pre14.deviantart.net/56bc/th/pre/i/2017/231/9/6/chap097_by_midknight23-dbklflw.jpg

Charles
08-19-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm not a fan of the coloring. The speech bubbles and lettering look good. I don't care for the centered text in the narrative box. The coloring cheapens the visual impact, yielding watered down visuals. The problem isn't the choice of color palette, but rather, the application of the colors to the pages. It imbues the work with an amateurish quality, but far worse than that, it kills interest in absorbing the story being told, both in text and in imagery. Here, the application of color is taken to excess. Less would be more.

Marqphillipsp3
08-20-2017, 05:26 PM
This looks rad! I would up your saturation some and tighten some edges! but it has a Stjepan Sejic vibe startin up here!

Check out my new pages and let me know what you think!http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179247

SSTiger
08-20-2017, 06:25 PM
I like the colors; reminds me of Clayton Crain's work (in a good way). Some feedback:

Page 3 Panel 1:
The woman looks like she's hanging in mid air rather than being thrown backwards (that is what's happening, yeah?) and her feet and leg proportions seem a bit off compared to the rest of her body.

Also, the monster looks a bit...weird. I don't know how to describe it (I'm not an art expert) but maybe it's because the humans have clear lines and the creature doesn't. I get that it's supposed to be made of goo or whatever, but (might be the choice of color) it sort of melds into the background, making it look blurry and not scary.

Page 4 Panel 4:
Is the goo-beast flinging them away here? Where's the thing's face? Or is it looking one way and throwing them in a completely different direction (and why would it do that)?

Also, then how is the woman still being killed by its tentacles in the very next panel?

(if that was an issue present in the script and not your idea, then my bad).

Overall pretty cool work though.

midknight
08-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Charles: I don't know how to make it less painted as there are no lines/pencils for it to fall back on. I use basic lines to compose the images but delete them as I go.

Marqphillipsp3: Thanks. Yeah that painted look was the intention.

SSTiger: You're right. I'll rework it when I get the chance.

MattTriano
08-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Charles: I don't know how to make it less painted as there are no lines/pencils for it to fall back on. I use basic lines to compose the images but delete them as I go.

Marqphillipsp3: Thanks. Yeah that painted look was the intention.

SSTiger: You're right. I'll rework it when I get the chance.

I would advise against deleting your pencils as you go; hard to remember in the middle how things looked at the beginning without the pencils intact. One always changes things in the painting that hadn't been anticipated in the pencils but that's no reason to eliminate your structure drawings.

A lot of your forms are soft and slightly impressionistic but I don't get the feeling you want everything that way; but that's the aggregate effect. There is also a dour, muddy quality to the color theory. Needs brightness, rich colors. Sometimes conflates space and clarity suffers as a result.

Paolo Rivera is a brilliant painter w/ an amazing eye for light; I would study his oil-painted 'Mythos' work (in particular) as well as comics painters Lynn Varley and Richmond Lewis for their varied but always effective approaches to light, color and value working over Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli respectively.

Keep going! Post more. A suggestion: create a thread for just Pencil and a thread for Finished Art so that when you post, folks can critique your pages on the storytelling and the colors separately. Would make assessing strengths and weaknesses easier for all.

08-23-2017, 09:19 PM
I would advise against deleting your pencils as you go; hard to remember in the middle how things looked at the beginning without the pencils intact. One always changes things in the painting that hadn't been anticipated in the pencils but that's no reason to eliminate your structure drawings.

A lot of your forms are soft and slightly impressionistic but I don't get the feeling you want everything that way; but that's the aggregate effect. There is also a dour, muddy quality to the color theory. Needs brightness, rich colors. Sometimes conflates space and clarity suffers as a result.

Paolo Rivera is a brilliant painter w/ an amazing eye for light; I would study his oil-painted 'Mythos' work (in particular) as well as comics painters Lynn Varley and Richmond Lewis for their varied but always effective approaches to light, color and value working over Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli respectively.

Keep going! Post more. A suggestion: create a thread for just Pencil and a thread for Finished Art so that when you post, folks can critique your pages on the storytelling and the colors separately. Would make assessing strengths and weaknesses easier for all.

that's a great bunch of suggestions. even tho its not for me..im keeping this stuff in my mind as well. that's why I love these kind of forums. done right, you can actually learn something. especially when you have a guy like Triano offer his thoughts.

rob

Orlan29
08-25-2017, 03:01 AM
Love the colors and art keep going with it fixing mistakes is tough it takes time but eventually it pays off :) it does reminds me of Clayton Crain colors love his work as well :)

Orlando