PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Susan Storm

cesare2009
08-02-2017, 01:35 AM
My first Marvel girl!

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/SUe_Storm.jpg

jeffchris50
08-02-2017, 01:00 PM
SWEEEEEET!!!! Glad to see you "crossing the aisle," Cesare! LOL! Miss Storm (Mrs. Richards?) looks good, relaxing on her own personal force field. You did something with her I've not seen people do before, allowing her to used her powers to make herself a bit more---comfy! Love the attention to detail in her face (do I see a little Charlize Theron there?), hair, hands and gloves and I dig the cool, "going invisible" solid boot heels at the bottom. This piece, especially reminds me a bit of the work of the late, great Patrick Nagel.

Crit time since I don't want you to get too swelled a head! ;)

Her overall torso might be a bit oversized for her head and arms, but that's just me nitpicking. I realize she's leaning against her force field, but something about her breasts look "off?" Maybe they're too low on her torso or turned funky? I know that The Invisible Girl/Woman is not one of the most heavily "endowed" characters in the Marvel universe, so it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

While I appreciate you giving your ladies more truly authentic proportions and body types, keep in mind these are still comic book characters, so a little artistic liberty is allowed. I would cinch Sue's waist in a bit more at the hips, deepen the curve at her lower back and give her tush a bit more roundness (although, please, don't go all J.Lo on it!) plus eliminate the top of the line indicating the separation of her cheeks; it's a little off-putting and gives her more of an "action figure" appearance.

Overall, though, for your first foray into the MU, I'd say she's MARVELous (sorry, just couldn't stop myself)!!

cesare2009
08-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Chris, I may spend more time with her, your points are all things that went through my head as I worked on the pic last night....I have been trying to finish sketches worth posting in one sitting, and then reworking a bit based on the crits, as few as I get lol, but they are valuable and much appreciated....

I will say I wanted to make her mature.....and yes, the breast area gave me fits, I think I'll try to take this one a bit further....

excellent l
08-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Rather slack in the front and back.��

cesare2009
08-02-2017, 11:38 PM
Yeah, but then again, why not?

cesare2009
08-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Here's the 'after-crit' version!

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/SUe_storm.jpg

jeffchris50
08-03-2017, 03:55 AM
Nice! The changes you made, IMHO, definitely enhanced the piece and upped Sue's womanliness by adding some needed curves and hollows. Nice job improving the bust area, a job made even more difficult by the angle you have her at and the fact that she's resting against a solid, if invisible, object.

Last crit, I swear, and this is constructive. That one curl of hair you have coming down across her left, lower jaw strikes at just the right place that, if you look at it just sorta offhand, it almost looks like a jowel or a saggy cheek and that makes her look, overall, older, and less pretty, than she actually is.

Overall, though, nice improvements!

DCdraw
08-04-2017, 01:00 PM
I think the invisible effect on her legs would be better served if you drew some kind of background element or prop that she interacts with. That way you get some context for the effect.
Also I think the four emblem on her shoulder would have some kind of curvature to it since its on her deltoid, which has a roundish shape.

cesare2009
08-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Danny, but you knew it was an invisible effect right? Maybe in a full blown piece but this is still....a sketch....

as for the '4', yeah, could you really make it follow a curve though at that size? I tried and only got a strangely distorted '4' so I said screw it!

appreciate the push though