PDA

View Full Version : Silk Spectre

cesare2009
07-31-2017, 09:41 PM
Hey Gang,

I've had some great and useful feedback lately, so I'm reposting this pic....thinking it might be buried in the other thread I started....not sure how many people scroll down or through pages of those big threads....

I have a feeling that her hips are too small.....wdyt?

http://www.cesaretatarelli.com/samples/Silk_spectre.jpg

jeffchris50
08-01-2017, 12:05 AM
hey there, cesare, I've been meaning to comment on this one and just haven't had the chance...

It's a nice dynamic pose and catches the energy of the character in motion.

After Googling images of "Women High Kicking," I'm inclined to think that her hips may be a bit on the narrow side since womens' hips, and pelvic regions in general, are a usually a bit wider than a males to accommodate child bearing/delivery. Try the Google search I did and you'll see what I mean. You might want to watch the overall length of her left foot; it seems a little stretched out to me, but I couldn't do what you do in a million years! LOL!

Other issue I'd like to address is in regard to inking and texturing. Her outfit is primarily leather, which is going to reflect light and hold on to shadows differently than the texture of skin, hair or even the underside of her boot. Go out on the Internet and take a look at how light plays differently off different surfaces (leather, metal, glass, skin, hair) and incorporate some of those nuances into your inks and you'll be well on your way to becoming even better and your inks will allow the human eye to differentiate between all the different textures whether the finished piece be in color or black and white.

Only other thing I would do is increase the length and fullness/density of her hair just to give it a bit more depth and frame the face better.

This is still, however, by all means, however, it is a very nice illustration. That's my two bits, buddy...

cesare2009
08-02-2017, 01:39 AM
Always appreciate a well considered crit. Yes, her pelvis, I mentioned that....

Her costume though, only the tops of her legs and face are bare! Google her...but I think I didn't indicate any sort of fabric either....so thats a fail....

jeffchris50
08-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Always appreciate a well considered crit. Yes, her pelvis, I mentioned that....

Her costume though, only the tops of her legs and face are bare! Google her...but I think I didn't indicate any sort of fabric either....so thats a fail....

Regarding her hips/pelvis, I was only following up on your question you had posed regarding their narrowness (so give the beeyotch some big ol' hips, son!;):D)!

And trust me, I've Googled her lots---LOL! Sometimes, even, at work when I'm not s'pposed too! I guess what I was trying to express is that there should likely be a more distinctive difference in the inking textures between her skin/hair and the harder, shinier sort of pleather of her costume.

Steve Colle
08-02-2017, 01:02 PM
I like how you've drawn the character, but do have a comment that could help your approach to her pose and positioning.

I realize your intent in her pose/action is probably to indicate a fight situation, but what likewise comes across is a high kick for a dance competition. Her leg is going one direction while her face is aimed the opposite, giving me the impression she is trying to impress a judge or audience. A stretch for sure, but do you see what I mean?

It all comes down to context. Include the where and why of her action and reaction. We'll get more out of the sample you've given.

VANDAL
08-02-2017, 01:58 PM
The pose is great and the facial expression is great as well! The inks need work. They look digital and fake. The blacks take away a LOT of everything you did really well.

cesare2009
08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Steve....she's looking at the baddy she just kicked, at least that was the idea, the leg sweeping from left to right slightly...

Vandal, not a comment I've heard before but I will concede that inking is not my forte....still studying, but fake?