PDA

View Full Version : Noah's Sequentials

noahgrahamart
07-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Some pages from an upcoming project

http://other00.deviantart.net/3ba8/o/2017/178/6/5/65bc7ec72aea4f832f6ea85cd3988f16.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/8209/o/2017/109/9/7/97e9d03ff15f0751c56ca8564e19e0cd.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/0ad2/o/2017/109/3/0/30aaa654d46928f97880f3624ec56c03.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/fc21/o/2017/109/a/0/a0155ae663db4d2cfa8e875345504385.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/49e7/o/2017/109/2/9/29ef235397397263b7d12461879ffbc2.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/05d0/o/2017/109/e/3/e30bcb846ea387c40cd33a2323a6c770.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/f018/o/2017/109/d/6/d69f54c00004cb79221d90dff4ef9b70.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/0969/o/2017/178/e/4/e4b39b977e3ad1d045770fded56c61d2.jpg

http://other00.deviantart.net/d141/o/2017/178/2/1/21e775a143bdd26c49570075691275b7.jpg

noahgrahamart
07-24-2017, 03:43 PM
fixed sorry

07-27-2017, 06:57 PM
your art has an odd but appealing vibe to it. wouldn't work on say...xmen or something like that, but its got.. something. kinda neat. seems you certainly put in effort and work to do the best you can. I think as you grow it will be amazing stuff

rob

noahgrahamart
08-06-2017, 12:50 AM
thanks, glad you had a generally positive reaction to it.

DubbJJart
08-07-2017, 03:58 AM
the dynamics of this are good. the fundamentals need work . keep practicing and dont skip the basics. Sometimes as artist we try to be better right now instead of in the future. Art, especially sequential art, Is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good work. Keep it up.

jeffchris50
08-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Reminds me a bit of Ron Lim's pencils waaaaay back in the days of Malibu's "The Ex-Mutants." Lotsa good stuff there, but always room for improvement, as well...

paradoxuniverses
08-07-2017, 08:26 PM
something about the art makes me think of the crow comic

noahgrahamart
08-20-2017, 05:25 PM
I did honestly mean to respond to some of this stuff and give thanks for the comments, but I got busy and kept forgetting to. jeffchris50 I don't quite see it myself though I don't find it insulting at all I think Lim is one of the more underrated artists of the later 80's and 90's. paradoxuniverses I found this quite interesting since though O'Barr is a hometown guy he wasn't a big influence on me artistically, but after reading your comment I pulled out my copy of the Crow and may see some connection. Perhaps it's the valence between cation and realism, or the texture... or maybe a certain amount of black leather and 80's aesthetic (which I was deliberately referencing) can't avoid comparison (laughs).

Toondoctor
08-21-2017, 06:29 PM
My criticisms will be what they always are (and what I suspect most people hate to hear and wish I would shut up about).

It's the storytelling that's not there yet...

There is also a bit of stress in how you draw the characters as if you were unsure and redrew them over and over again - overthinking.

I'd like to see the actual energy from roughs where you haven't retouched a thing to see how much of the raw energy you took out when you rendered these pages.

noahgrahamart
08-21-2017, 08:32 PM
My criticisms will be what they always are (and what I suspect most people hate to hear and wish I would shut up about).

It's the storytelling that's not there yet...

There is also a bit of stress in how you draw the characters as if you were unsure and redrew them over and over again - overthinking.

I'd like to see the actual energy from roughs where you haven't retouched a thing to see how much of the raw energy you took out when you rendered these pages.

First of all don't worry too much about criticizing me whatever you have to say I'm certain I've heard worse (laughs) that being said I'm not responding in this way because I think I'm some perfect artist above criticism, if anyone is I'm certainly far from it. Instead I think the points you brought up (and apparently do often) have an interesting discussion in them, relating to a lot of art criticism I've seen (not just here but elsewhere).

Firstly the point about Storytelling gets brought up often (not just by you or in relation to me) and it seems that a lot of those who speak most ardently about "bad storytelling" tend to have a particular idea about what qualifies as good or bad storytelling. That is to say they prefer moment to moment storytelling to action to action storytelling. Don't take this accretion to be putting words in your mouth if I'm miscategorizing you but this is something I've seen often in criticism and I'm well aware that these pages have very little of the former and tend toward the latter which tends to push the plot along faster but in a way sacrifices some of the detailed clarity of moment to moment storytelling which has a tendency to be slower moving in contrast. (again understand that I'm not saying that I'm perfect or anything myself) I would encourage you (and again I may not be talking to you specifically) not to avoid this criticism at all but to think about what artist are trying to accomplish.

Next to address your second point, no I don't tend to redraw things a lot, I'll fix things that look wrong but it's an exemption rather than a rule. Theres an interesting conversation here as well which also may not apply to what you think personally so don't take this to heart if it doesn't. I find that similar to the feelings about storytelling (and frequently in conjunction with) is a feeling that a particular style that of cleaner lines and/or more simple rendering equates better storytelling, or that an abundance of rendering and texture is overdone. You can prefer cleaner or simpler art (I know many people who do and it's totally a legitimate thing to think) but understand that it's a preference. Personally may I overdo the rendering? sure. If you are the sort the prefers clean and simple art will you like what I do? almost certainly not (laughs).

Thanks for bringing up interesting things to talk about, I'm under the impression that thats what this is all about.

jeffchris50
08-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Glad to see you over on penciljack, too. Pretty cool that your very first response is from Paul Smith! Listen to him---that man knows his stuff upside down AND backwards!

I finally put a finger on whom else your art reminds me of---one of my faves, Pat Broderick...

08-24-2017, 12:26 AM
First of all don't worry too much about criticizing me whatever you have to say I'm certain I've heard worse (laughs) that being said I'm not responding in this way because I think I'm some perfect artist above criticism, if anyone is I'm certainly far from it. Instead I think the points you brought up (and apparently do often) have an interesting discussion in them, relating to a lot of art criticism I've seen (not just here but elsewhere).

Firstly the point about Storytelling gets brought up often (not just by you or in relation to me) and it seems that a lot of those who speak most ardently about "bad storytelling" tend to have a particular idea about what qualifies as good or bad storytelling. That is to say they prefer moment to moment storytelling to action to action storytelling. Don't take this accretion to be putting words in your mouth if I'm miscategorizing you but this is something I've seen often in criticism and I'm well aware that these pages have very little of the former and tend toward the latter which tends to push the plot along faster but in a way sacrifices some of the detailed clarity of moment to moment storytelling which has a tendency to be slower moving in contrast. (again understand that I'm not saying that I'm perfect or anything myself) I would encourage you (and again I may not be talking to you specifically) not to avoid this criticism at all but to think about what artist are trying to accomplish.

Next to address your second point, no I don't tend to redraw things a lot, I'll fix things that look wrong but it's an exemption rather than a rule. Theres an interesting conversation here as well which also may not apply to what you think personally so don't take this to heart if it doesn't. I find that similar to the feelings about storytelling (and frequently in conjunction with) is a feeling that a particular style that of cleaner lines and/or more simple rendering equates better storytelling, or that an abundance of rendering and texture is overdone. You can prefer cleaner or simpler art (I know many people who do and it's totally a legitimate thing to think) but understand that it's a preference. Personally may I overdo the rendering? sure. If you are the sort the prefers clean and simple art will you like what I do? almost certainly not (laughs).

Thanks for bringing up interesting things to talk about, I'm under the impression that thats what this is all about.

TOON left a great, thoughtful and insightful critique, and your response was equally thoughtful and insightful. this is why I like coming here and have been for YEARS (under a different screen name).

like I said elsewhere here recently, done right, we all can learn good stuff.

rob

noahgrahamart
08-24-2017, 03:25 PM
TOON left a great, thoughtful and insightful critique, and your response was equally thoughtful and insightful. this is why I like coming here and have been for YEARS (under a different screen name).

like I said elsewhere here recently, done right, we all can learn good stuff.

rob

I agree completely rob, sometimes it seems like people are afraid to have in depth contentious conversations on the net, and I have certainly seen those who seem to discourage it by being defensive or whatnot, but that defensiveness is what should be discouraged I think (both by those receiving criticism AND by those giving criticism who are met with disagreement). We should be having these sorts of conversations, we should be expressing our conflicting views in detail. It's helpful not only for those discussing, but everyone else who reads it who can gain things from the opinions of others.

Orlan29
08-25-2017, 06:30 PM
I like your sequentials its dynamic and details of spotting blacks Nice work!

Orlando Baez

noahgrahamart
08-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Thanks Orlando, I appreciate it!